Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

0 members and 2,838 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

What thermometer/hygrometer do you guys like?

I've been using the AcuRite ones that are able to be calibrated for a couple of years now that cost about $13. I set them using the salt/water method and they've kept on ticking for me forever. However, I have found they tend to drift from their settings. I don't know if it's the nature of the beast, or the fact that the snakes knock them over sometimes and they get clumps of substrate in the openings where I'm guessing the sensors are. I can't rely on something that says 80% humidity for a high humidity snake, and I occasionally put another unit in right next to it and it reads only 55%.

I emailed Adam at Wicken's Wicked Reptiles because I noticed in some of his videos he uses a different type than I do. He linked me to an Amazon listing where you can get a 2 pack of Govee units for $25, so they're about the same price. In a q/a on the listing, someone asked if they can be calibrated. They replied they're set from the factory to within 3% but in the app there is supposed to be an option to calibrate. The bonus is they are bluetooth, so I can just check my phone (assuming I can read multiple units from the same app) from my bedroom or whatever and know what all the snake's enclosures are like.

Just curious if anyone has any input on what they like or ways to keep mine more accurate?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: What thermometer/hygrometer do you guys like?

When I first got my boaphile tanks, I used SensorPush Sensors and the app for the phone with them. They worked great. The batteries last two years and by the time the batteries died, I didn't replace them. I know my tanks well and I rely on an IR temp gun for temps and a basic humidity gauge for humidity when needed.

I swear by my IR temp gun(s) and remember, ground temp is where it's at. If I want to know ambient temp, I hit the back wall in the middle of the tank or a hide, etc.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-17-2022),Homebody (08-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

I use an AcuRite. I haven't had any problems. Before I got the AcuRite I used an Exo Terra LED Rept-O-Meter Digital Combination Thermometer/Hygrometer. It also worked well until the probe fell in the water. After that, the thermometer still worked but the hydrometer didn't.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-H...%2C108&sr=8-47

I got two a couple years ago and the one I have left (one of them up and disappeared) still hanging on and they are relatively accurate. If you want a budget option this is a good choice.

I've bought some more expensive ones that are supposed to be better and I've noticed little or even more negative results compared to these.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-18-2022),Homebody (08-18-2022)