Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,782

0 members and 2,782 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

What do you see, and why do you see it?

I recently purchased a hatchling. Originally I was looking for something that would pair with my male, if I ever decided to breed it... which wasn't likely. However, I absolutely fell in love with the one I got, who will NOT pair with my male at all, since they both have Spider and I'm not willing to risk hitting the Super.

The breeder listed her as:

Pastel, Mojave, Super Enchi, Spider, Poss. Banana.

The sire is:

Banana, Bongo, Enchi, Lesser, Pastel. (Male-maker Banana who has previously thrown female Bananas)

The dam is:

Mojave, Enchi, Spider.

I used the flashlight trick and assume that I confirmed that she has Banana, since her entire eye glowed, using my Banana male and non-Banana female adults for comparison.

Now, I can see Super Enchi in the cleanliness and minimization of the Spider pattern. I can see Pastel in the increased orange flush along the sides of her back. I lack the experience to be absolutely certain on any of those! One person has said that they thought she was more likely Lesser than Mojave. Personally, I don't even know where to start looking for either of those genes in her, particularly if she does have Banana!

So, for anyone who wants; What do YOU see in her, and why do you see it? What makes you think that she does have a particular gene, or doesn't? Thank you in advance to anyone who answers. Learning is good!

This image shows her side patterns fairly well. There's not much to see, but I could try to take a direct side picture if wanted.

Clear image of the headstamp. I particularly like the evil smiley face. It's in direct contrast to her temperament, which is amazingly sweet and mellow.

This is a horrible picture. I know that. It's the only shot of her belly I've managed to get so far, and honestly, there's nothing there to see. It's entirely clean and pink/white translucent.

BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    hey, I'm glad the flashlight trick worked! =D

I personally still think lesser over mojave, but if Bongo is there maybe that's why the color seems off to me. I'm not familiar with that gene so that could throw me off.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Argentum (08-15-2022),Homebody (08-15-2022),nikkubus (08-15-2022)

Thanks

Re: What do you see, and why do you see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post

I personally still think lesser over mojave, but if Bongo is there maybe that's why the color seems off to me. I'm not familiar with that gene so that could throw me off.
    I'd never even heard of Bongo before finding out her sire has it. All I would know about looking for it is that apparently it causes the 'alien heads' to be kind of melty down toward the belly, so they look like they have tooth roots. Not something that's very visible on my girl!

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-15-2022)

Thanks

I was going to update the original post, but even though I see right down there at the bottom that I can edit, I can't actually find anywhere that allows me to do so. Therefor; Here, I managed to get a not-so-terrible image of her belly, and sort of an image of her side. There really isn't much to see there!

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-15-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    I was going to update the original post, but even though I see right down there at the bottom that I can edit, I can't actually find anywhere that allows me to do so.
    You've got 10 minutes after posting to edit your post. After that, it's locked.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Argentum (08-15-2022),Bogertophis (08-15-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I would agree she looks more Lesser than Mojave. Bongo shouldn't kill off the purples like that in a Banana if she did in fact get that, which I'm not sure how she would get that coloration if she didn't.

I think Banana Super Enchi Queen Bee (Lesser Pastel Spider).
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Argentum (08-16-2022),Armiyana (08-15-2022),Bogertophis (08-15-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I would agree she looks more Lesser than Mojave. Bongo shouldn't kill off the purples like that in a Banana if she did in fact get that, which I'm not sure how she would get that coloration if she didn't.

I think Banana Super Enchi Queen Bee (Lesser Pastel Spider).

After looking around at pictures, I can see what you mean. I had thought the coloration could be chalked up to being young, but it really does match Lesser much better than Mojave, and I agree that it would be hard to get that color combination without Banana. Thank you both for the input and education!

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-16-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    She's a beautiful snake regardless!
    The only way to know for sure obviously is if you breed her. She may have had more of a Mojave look when she was younger and as she's getting older the color is coming in more?

I have a couple new babies that I have been watching change like crazy over just a month. @_@

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (08-16-2022)

Thanks

She's a beautiful snake regardless!
    The only way to know for sure obviously is if you breed her. She may have had more of a Mojave look when she was younger and as she's getting older the color is coming in more?

I have a couple new babies that I have been watching change like crazy over just a month. @_@

Indeed! I've already decided that if I ever decide to breed her, the male I find will have Mojave. Mostly, though, I'm content to learn more about how to identify different genes, and to admire her lovely self. I'm impatient for her to grow up so I can see what she ends up looking like as an adult. Just not impatient enough to over feed her to get there. I don't have any of the hatchling pictures of my Ultrafly female, but I can definitely say that she's just gotten prettier as she got older. Then again, I'm very biased...

I have a few images of Aurora both when her egg was cut, and a couple weeks later, but they are screenshots taken from the breeder's egg cutting video on Youtube, so they don't belong to me to post. Looking at them, though, her markings haven't changed much in color from her post-shed images, but the base color has gotten considerably more yellow. She was more yellow-tinged white at a couple weeks old, and at cutting, she was pretty much off-white with medium smoke-gray markings.

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-16-2022)