Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,123

1 members and 3,122 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Bizarrely shaped enclosure

So, now that the "bottom portion" is finished of my dual enclosure thing, currently puzzled as to just how the upper one would even work for anything. The dimensions are all weird (72x22x17/5, the last part is before and after the slope) and I don't even know how heating would work since there's only about 9 inches of ceiling to work with and most of it is taken up by a comically long florescent tube. Also wish both drawers had access holes, and the one that doesn't even has more space for some reason.

First thing that comes to mind if I did figure out a solution is a sand boa or something to that end due to the awkward profile and drawer "burrow" but idk, other suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I like it, personally. Easy enough to cut a hole for access to the drawers too -but make absolutely SURE there's no gaps where a snake could get stuck & injured, if you decide to make use of them. I think you can make this work for many things, depending on what you want to keep. You're just used to rectangles, lol.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Bizarrely shaped enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    So, now that the "bottom portion" is finished of my dual enclosure thing, currently puzzled as to just how the upper one would even work for anything. The dimensions are all weird (72x22x17/5, the last part is before and after the slope) and I don't even know how heating would work since there's only about 9 inches of ceiling to work with and most of it is taken up by a comically long florescent tube.
    I agree that heating is your first issue. I'd check to see if you have enough space to add a socket and cage for a CHE or DHP. Five inches isn't a lot to work with. It'll be tight. If that doesn't work, I'd consider adding a false floor to the side opposite the access hole. You could then install heat tape there.

You'll be limited in your substrates as well. I wouldn't use anything that held moisture. You'd don't want moisture seeping down to your VBB's enclosure. Think slate, tile, repti-carpet or aspen.

All that said, I imagine there are many snakes that would thrive in such an enclosure. My Children's python would love it.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I agree that heating is your first issue....I'd consider adding a false floor to the side opposite the access hole. You could then install heat tape there...
    Years ago, I converted a wood cabinet to house a gopher snake, but the floor was much too thick for heat to rise from underneath using UTH. While I've mostly used Flexwatt UTH, at the time I also had some zoo-quality thick ceramic heat pads (another kind of UTH that heats much stronger & is made to safely withstand moisture, as when buried in zoo exhibits). I made a wood square that formed basically a flat-tunnel with wire mesh on top, so the UTH could sit on top- on the mesh (heat easily going up or down thru the wire mesh) & with doorways in 2 wood sides for the snake to pass thru. He could get on top of the heat, or enjoy being underneath it. Just a thought, if you can make it work there. The trouble with the typical heat tape (incl. Flexwatt) is that it's not made for moisture or for being inside the enclosure.

Anyway, I have no pics so I hope what I described makes sense? When you mentioned a "false floor" that reminded me of when I've done something similar.

Another way to heat this takes thinking outside the herpetological box when it comes to supplies. I've also heated a tall cabinet with heat cables- the type they sell for plumbing, to prevent pipes from freezing- and it was hooked to a thermostat- it worked quite well from within the cabinet. They come in various lengths. Just saying.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (08-08-2022),Homebody (08-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I think it’ll make an awesome enclosure. I’d love to have some funky, alternatively geometrically shaped enclosures. I can’t wait to see the finished product.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I think it’ll make an awesome enclosure. I’d love to have some funky, alternatively geometrically shaped enclosures. I can’t wait to see the finished product.
    I think so too- I love a challenge, & I love unique enclosures. I like everything about this cabinet, to be honest- in spite of the challenge.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (08-08-2022)

Thanks

Personally, I'd leave the drawer without the access hole as it is. It's a convenient place to keep tools and supplies handy. The other drawer should be sufficient to serve as a hidey hole.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2022)

Thanks

I agree that heating is your first issue. I'd check to see if you have enough space to add a socket and cage for a CHE or DHP. Five inches isn't a lot to work with. It'll be tight. If that doesn't work, I'd consider adding a false floor to the side opposite the access hole. You could then install heat tape there.

You'll be limited in your substrates as well. I wouldn't use anything that held moisture. You'd don't want moisture seeping down to your VBB's enclosure. Think slate, tile, repti-carpet or aspen.

All that said, I imagine there are many snakes that would thrive in such an enclosure. My Children's python would love it.
    16 1/2 inches actually. The back ceiling is that tall (just slightly taller than my T10s actually) and the lowest point after the slope is 5 inches. But the problem is even if I removed the florescent tube, the flat space at the top is only 9 inches wide, so I'm not sure if there's any compact RHPs that would fit in that kind of space and be strong enough to warm the whole enclosure properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think so too- I love a challenge, & I love unique enclosures. I like everything about this cabinet, to be honest- in spite of the challenge.
    However it may turn out, it won't be for a good while. My wallet needs to recover after all the money I had to put into the VBB project and I need to slow down overall after getting two snakes within only a few months of each other. But someday something will live it in, would be a waste to leave such a beautiful piece "half finished."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    16 1/2 inches actually. The back ceiling is that tall (just slightly taller than my T10s actually) and the lowest point after the slope is 5 inches. But the problem is even if I removed the florescent tube, the flat space at the top is only 9 inches wide, so I'm not sure if there's any compact RHPs that would fit in that kind of space and be strong enough to warm the whole enclosure properly.
    O.K. I misunderstood. The ceiling is 9 inches wide. Even without removing the fluorescent fixture, can't you fit a socket and cage for a CHE/DHP to the right of the fixture? I realize it's speculative at this point, but it doesn't hurt to kick ideas around.

Thanks

O.K. I misunderstood. The ceiling is 9 inches wide. Even without removing the fluorescent fixture, can't you fit a socket and cage for a CHE/DHP to the right of the fixture? I realize it's speculative at this point, but it doesn't hurt to kick ideas around.
    There's roughly 10 inches between the bulb and the side wall on either side, so I guess one could fit? Also realized that, if I ended up with something other than a snake that needs UVB, there's already a perfectly good fixture for it, just need the bulb switched out assuming there's UVB bulbs around 4 feet in length since that's the length of the bulb already in it. Though I don't know if UVB bulbs need to be caged off or not, don't know how hot they get and some searching around hasn't given me a definitive answer either.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-26-2023),Homebody (08-08-2022)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast