Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

2 members and 3,102 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Bizarrely shaped enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    There's roughly 10 inches between the bulb and the side wall on either side, so I guess one could fit? Also realized that, if I ended up with something other than a snake that needs UVB, there's already a perfectly good fixture for it, just need the bulb switched out assuming there's UVB bulbs around 4 feet in length since that's the length of the bulb already in it. Though I don't know if UVB bulbs need to be caged off or not, don't know how hot they get and some searching around hasn't given me a definitive answer either.
    Sounds like you're considering a lizard. I imagine there are many desert lizards that would be happy to call that enclosure home.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    UVB bulbs get pretty warm too, but you also have to consider that snakes can spill their water bowls & then reach up & make contact with an electric light... Not good. So yeah, cage it or cover it with a diffuser shield.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Sounds like you're considering a lizard. I imagine there are many desert lizards that would be happy to call that enclosure home.
    Maybe. I've thought about lizards but have always been put off about the idea of either having to constantly buy feeder insects or attempt to raise my own colonies and also dealing with all the vitamin supplement business (snakes are so much simpler in that department). Uromastyx being entirely vegetarian makes them more appealing (especially the ornate species, they're so gorgeous), but they have the downside of needing it scorching hot compared to any animal I have currently, especially when it'd be right over a VBB who'd not be happy with anything over 85.

All in all, it's completely in the air. Would also be the perfect opportunity to take in a neglected/rescued animal when the timing is right. So many possibilities.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-09-2022)

Thanks

Maybe. I've thought about lizards but have always been put off about the idea of either having to constantly buy feeder insects or attempt to raise my own colonies and also dealing with all the vitamin supplement business (snakes are so much simpler in that department). Uromastyx being entirely vegetarian makes them more appealing (especially the ornate species, they're so gorgeous), but they have the downside of needing it scorching hot compared to any animal I have currently, especially when it'd be right over a VBB who'd not be happy with anything over 85.

All in all, it's completely in the air. Would also be the perfect opportunity to take in a neglected/rescued animal when the timing is right. So many possibilities.
    I know looking at that big beautiful enclosure empty every day must be maddening, but you just bit off a big chunk in that VBB. Best to chew on that a while before biting off another piece.
    Last edited by Homebody; 08-09-2022 at 08:23 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-09-2022)

Thanks

I know looking at that big beautiful enclosure empty every day must be maddening, but you just bit off a big chunk in that VBB. Best to chew on that a while before biting off another piece.
    More like mild curiosity on what I can do with it down the road than being driven mad.

I actually was at a reptile show at the end of last month (got a bunch of pics but keep forgetting to make a thread for them here) and explicitly did not make any sort of QT setup at home to dissuade any temptations and only got supplies. So I am indeed being conscientious.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-09-2022),Homebody (08-09-2022)

Thanks

More like mild curiosity on what I can do with it down the road than being driven mad.

I actually was at a reptile show at the end of last month (got a bunch of pics but keep forgetting to make a thread for them here) and explicitly did not make any sort of QT setup at home to dissuade any temptations and only got supplies. So I am indeed being conscientious.
    Just don't put a sand boa in there. That big beautiful display case would be wasted on a sand boa.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-09-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Just don't put a sand boa in there. That big beautiful display case would be wasted on a sand boa.
    It could just be a playhouse for when your VBB gets bored in his own place too- I really like the look of it, & the fact that there's no rush whatsoever to turn it into something- in time, the right use & modifications will become clear to you.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-09-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It could just be a playhouse for when your VBB gets bored in his own place too- I really like the look of it, & the fact that there's no rush whatsoever to turn it into something- in time, the right use & modifications will become clear to you.
    Wow! That's a great idea. No need to worry about heat in an activity station. Throw some toys in there. Keep changing it up. Snagrio will have the most pampered VBB in history (if he doesn't already).
    Last edited by Homebody; 08-09-2022 at 01:22 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-09-2022)

Thanks
    Part of me thought of it just for the sheer dichotomy of having the snake you'll see the most often "paired" with the one almost never seen at all. But you have a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Not a bad idea, though if anyone Zebes could probably get the most use out of such a thing, he's been going all over the place lately, assumedly looking for ladies. Besides, Mira hasn't even moved into it yet, want to give her more time plus I want to run the standard tests like I did before with her "brothers." She's easily the one to have the least amount of concern over due to her age and where she came from, but peace of mind and all that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-09-2022)

Thanks
    Got back to thinking of this thing again (yes it's still unoccupied). Really believe it'd be best suited for a lizard since it's not super tall and already has a tube fixture for UVB, but I'm unsure about the drawer thing itself in regards to if a lizard could get in and out or if they'd get stuck. Did measurements and the circle is 5 inches in diameter and the height from the bottom of the drawer to the top of the hole is 7 inches. Maybe I could glue a stack of rocks or something just below the hole to serve as steps?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast