Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,141

1 members and 3,140 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Very nippy ball python tips

Hey everyone my new ball python I got is rather mean, I know shes stressed from the move and STARVING as the last guy didn't feed her anything but 2 mice in the last almost month so I know shes hungry.... She bit me immediatley after coming home and i fed her that night (usually i let them settle but she was just at front of tank trying to get out so i decided to give her one) she ate so fast and still is looking for me today lol I plan to hold her today as she has had 48 hours to digest, Just wondering if anyone has some tips to limit the amount of bites i get or how to tame her a bit? Please let me know thank you!!!!!
    My Animals Are My Babies!
    12 Ball Pythons!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy_Misfit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Patience, for sure. It's unusual for BPs to be nippy, but some are- and like you said, it's combined with hunger too.

For snakes that are literally afraid of us, it can help to cover them with a small towel while you hold them for at least 30 minutes- giving them time to get used to your scent & touch, while being unable to see you or bite you for being "scary" to them. In time, if you do this, most snakes learn to feel safe (hiding under a towel) while learning to recognize us by our scent & touch, so that when you finally start letting them peek out, they aren't so apt to bite you.

You'll still want to keep your movements slow & your hands UNDER her as much as possible, while she get used to the idea of you being so close & yet not being a threat to her. I'd say it's very possible that her previous owner wasn't all that nice to her either- pity snakes can't talk- she may have been teased or handled roughly- assume she has reasons for her opinion of you so far & try to forgive her & help her get beyond her past. I think she will, in time. I hope so.

Whatever you do, remember she's not "mean" or "aggressive" but just defending herself. It's up to you to show her she's finally safe with you.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-08-2022 at 01:40 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-08-2022),Missy_Misfit (08-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Very nippy ball python tips

Personally, I wouldn't be in any hurry to handle her. She's clearly not ready. Get her feeding regularly first. That's the most important thing. In the meantime, rather than handling her, I would just sit by her open enclosure. Let her get used to your presence, your scent. Repeated exposure will teach her that you're neither a threat nor food. When she comes to you to check you out, then she's ready to be handled. Start with brief handling. Work up from there.
    Last edited by Homebody; 08-08-2022 at 02:13 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2022),GoingPostal (08-08-2022),Missy_Misfit (08-08-2022)

Thanks

When I said mean I just meant she bites alot, I don't think its a mean snake... Like i said in my post.. I understand she's stressed and hungry, so thats probably why. My only goal is to make her feel safe and taken care of as I realize she's probably not had the easiest life. Try to forgive her? I don't hold a grudge for her doing whats natural to her.... I was more worried about her teeth and her than her biting me... thank you for your post
    12 Ball Pythons!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy_Misfit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2022)

Thanks

She keeps coming to the front to check me out whenever I'm near.... but yeah I will wait a couple weeks and let her settle and eat, I'm going to feed her every 5-6 days. Thank you so much for your post!
    12 Ball Pythons!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missy_Misfit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2022),Kryptic (08-10-2022),Spicey (11-19-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    She so deserves a good, considerate owner like you. And you'll get there, I predict. She'll calm down.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    She so deserves a good, considerate owner like you. And you'll get there, I predict. She'll calm down.
    Awww thank you!! I really hope she does!
    12 Ball Pythons!

Thanks
    I had a nippy female snake. I wore gloves at first and handled her a lot. Every day actually, for about an hour or two at a time. I'd watch her behavior to avoid stressing her. Essentially just let her control the situation. Let her stay balled up or roam etc. Obviously, I would skip the 2 days after her initial feeding. But then went right back to handling her. Took about 2 weeks. But she has snapped at since those first few days.
    I used a snake stick to remove her from her enclosure and made every interaction positive and calm. I even held her the entire time I prepared dinner, she didn't seem to mind, actually shows signs of being curious.
    Patience seems to pay off in this scenario.
    Hang in there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RobRam For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2022)