Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,778

2 members and 1,776 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: Strange behavior inside new enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by egsnow View Post
    ...I did not know that about radiant heat panels though so I didn't do that with hers. I just found the perfect setting to get her temperatures just right. Do you think I should take her out and crank it up to gas it out before returning her to the enclosure? If so, how long should I let it do that and air out before I return her back to this enclosure?
    I don't use RHPs, but many here do, & have posted about that exact issue. They run them for a day or so, on high, until the nasty smell burns off. (Avoid breathing it- both you & your animals.)

Actually, I think it's something that it's coated with- I've seen a similar complaint multiple times about toaster ovens (when I was shopping online for another one)- they have to be wiped down to remove something that's sprayed in & on them, & then the smell should be gone after the first few uses.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-08-2022 at 07:42 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't use RHPs, but many here do, & have posted about that exact issue. They run them for a day or so, on high, until the nasty smell burns off. (Avoid breathing it- both you & your animals.)

Actually, I think it's something that it's coated with- I've seen a similar complaint multiple times about toaster ovens (when I was shopping online for another one)- they have to be wiped down to remove something that's sprayed in & on them, & then the smell should be gone after the first few uses.
    That actually makes a lot of sense because I just bought a new toaster recently and had to burn the smell off a few times on the highest setting while it was empty before we even used it. I mean I like the Pro Heat panel. It seems to do the trick but I guess I need to put her back in a tub for a couple of days while I burn the smell off in the garage and let it air out. Good looking out! 👍

3. The Following User Says Thank You to egsnow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

I don't think off-gassing from your RHP is causing this behavior. From the Pro Heat website: Pro Heat™ Radiant Panels use an all aluminum construction with non-toxic materials, so they will never pose any risk of potential toxic out gassing or developing cracks in the surface as other panels can.

It's advertising, so take it for what it's worth. Personally, I ran my 80 watt VE RHP from Reptile Basics on high before putting my snake in the enclosure. If I got a Pro Heat panel, I would do the same, just to be safe, but I still doubt your RHP gassed your snake.
    Last edited by Homebody; 08-08-2022 at 08:47 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    Hello,

I'm taking the liberty of forwarding this post to find out if you have found a solution, if you have managed to find out where this strange behavior was coming from.

My 15 year old male classic Ball Python has been doing EXACTLY the same thing for some time.

Thank you!

Thanks

What’s the temp of the substrate? At 90 degree ambient curious if the substrate is too hot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Harri For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-12-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    What’s the temp of the substrate? At 90 degree ambient curious if the substrate is too hot.
    Hi,

The surface temperature is very correct, and differs according to the zones of the terrariums.

The hottest surface temperature is 40 degrees (104) on a very small localized area, under a UV spot, just one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening, to simulate dawn and dusk.

During the day, the ground temperatures are much lower.

I made a video of the behavior of my male, and you will also find a video of the UV spotlight on the morning, at 6am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSp..._channel=Zushn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12