Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,054

2 members and 3,052 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Covering the screen top with foil is fine- & one of many options that will work- also is less "messy" than doing it all up in duck tape.

I like to use foam-core poster boards for insulating tanks- it's easy to work with & adds both privacy & insulation-

The heat is the biggest thing to get figured out & adjusted- & would have been best done before the snake moved in- but hindsight is 20:20- you'll know for "next time".
    Forgot to mention, these things are rather addicting! (Too late! )
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: New juvenile ball python, feedback appreciated on set-up and care (pics)

The forum's care guide is worth a read if you haven't already: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ius)-Caresheet.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2022)

Thanks
    Great! Viper was in his new cool-side hideout this morning. I'll put the aluminum on today. it sounds like, for now, I should stick with the UV redlight 'night' heater? I didn't quite catch the concern with the CHE but sounded serious.

I'll get monitors and mist daily. I think we're on the right track!

And I had read that thread before getting Viper but when I went into the pet store, I knew they were all experienced snake keepers and with all the conflicting info online I thought I would just let them guide me. I even asked in the moment 'hey, I heard glass tanks weren't ideal' and he said that's what he uses and I didn't have enough of the info confidently downloaded in my brain to disagree.

All that said, I think we'll make this enclosure work and when it's time to upgrade (usually what age should I be looking at a bigger enclosure, or is 20 gal good for life?) I'll get it set up the right way well before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MedicalAuthor View Post
    Great! Viper was in his new cool-side hideout this morning. I'll put the aluminum on today. it sounds like, for now, I should stick with the UV redlight 'night' heater? I didn't quite catch the concern with the CHE but sounded serious.

I'll get monitors and mist daily. I think we're on the right track!

And I had read that thread before getting Viper but when I went into the pet store, I knew they were all experienced snake keepers and with all the conflicting info online I thought I would just let them guide me. I even asked in the moment 'hey, I heard glass tanks weren't ideal' and he said that's what he uses and I didn't have enough of the info confidently downloaded in my brain to disagree.

All that said, I think we'll make this enclosure work and when it's time to upgrade (usually what age should I be looking at a bigger enclosure, or is 20 gal good for life?) I'll get it set up the right way well before.
    No, a 20 gal. is definitely not "good for life"- BPs average about 4' as adults- & some (esp. females) get quite a bit bigger. If you stuck with glass tanks, a 40-gal. breeder tank would be more the adult BP size. Most here prefer plastic enclosures, but you can make it work either way.

Best to do research before going into pet stores- they're often incorrect- not always, but remember they're trying to make a sale, so if nothing else, they usually make everything sound easier than it really is. Be skeptical & do your own research. Some pet store employees are wonderful, many just mean well but don't have their own experience, & most just say what they're supposed to say regardless. Even among very experienced snake-keepers (including here)- understand that we all don't agree anyway- at some point, the choices are yours to make & live with. But we'll be happy to help by discussing options, including the pros & cons.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-09-2022),GoingPostal (08-08-2022)

Thanks
    Having trouble regulating temperature.

Right now I think I'm going to keep the Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamp because that comment earlier on the CHE scared me, haha,

I covered the sides and the back and put foil over about 75% of the top. Today the temperature got up to 96 degrees from the sensor, which as you can see from the pics is halfway up the tank right under the lamp. I ordered the more accurate monitors suggested here for both sides, should get here tomorrow.

I took the foil off and misted and temp immediately went down to low 80s.

I wonder if the tank is now insulated TOO much? I'm thinking I'll try to reduce the percentage of the top covered by foil (i.e., peel it back) and see how the temperature does. Just now, reducing it to about 60% covered, the temperature from the probe is hovering around 93.

I know there's always a gradient as the glass is warmer to the touch on the hot side than the cool side.

Viper has been hanging out in the hide on the cool side since Sunday. Ordered a more traditional hide to put on the warm side, should also get here tomorrow.

Thanks
    As you know, 96* is too hot, but you really need to be measuring the FLOOR where the snake is- & whatever he's touching. All this trial & error is not good for the snake- it should be done with an unoccupied enclosure, well ahead of time. The foil on top is to keep in the humidity, not the heat so much- as foil conducts heat. Suggest you keep temp. below 90*- even 88* would be safer. Excessive heat can injure* or even kill snakes if it continues. (*can cause neurological damage.) Temperatures are the hardest thing to get right- while we can offer suggestions, every set-up is a little different (including the background temperatures in your room/home). What is the cool side temp. where the snake has preferred to be? For safety, there has to be a cool side.

Thanks
    Peeling back the foil has seemed to really help. Moved the probe to the bottom (again, twin accurate temp/humidity monitors on their way) and on the hot side it's 92 and the cool side it's 79.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MedicalAuthor View Post
    Peeling back the foil has seemed to really help. Moved the probe to the bottom (again, twin accurate temp/humidity monitors on their way) and on the hot side it's 92 and the cool side it's 79.
    I'd lower that just a bit still- stay under 90*.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-11-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    I know it's been a lot of trial and error so far. Once things are dialed in correctly it really will be easier just doing routine temp checks and all.

You're doing great. It's awesome to see someone being so proactive to wanting to make sure the animal is well taken care of. It's a great gift and learning experience to your son as well. I used to work retail pet shop so I've seen a lot of parents just do the half-hearted "it says for snakes." And just buy the cheapest starter kit or an animal that just is not appropriate in any way regardless of what I said.
    You'll be teaching your son so much more with this by showing that care for other animals matters and they aren't a disposable thing
    Last edited by Armiyana; 08-10-2022 at 12:46 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2022),EL-Ziggy (08-10-2022)

Thanks
    Thanks so much! I appreciate everyone's insight, patience, and help.

Made some changes. Went and got a lower wattage bulb, 60W, and also a moonlight one so it's not as disruptive to Viper. With the lower wattage I feel I can cover more of the top with the foil and it not get too hot at the height of the day. I also switched out the green hide for one of the recommended ones from before. I've noticed that Viper has been in the cool side hide for the last few days so if he doesn't move to the new hide on the warm side I may just get that same hide again to make them identical on both sides.

I also added a second water bowl under the heat lamp to help with the humidity. *Seems* to be working so far.

Also got heat and humidity monitors.

Looking at the temperatures this morning, which represents that coldest part of the day, looks like the minimum with the current set up is 83 warm side, 75 cold side. Humidity Will monitor today and see what the highest is as temperature rises mid-day to see what it maxes out to. Right now (11am) it's 84/76 (pic below). Humidity currently 54 warm side, 68 cool side.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MedicalAuthor For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-11-2022)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast