Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,003

3 members and 3,000 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Venom - IMG Motley Progression Thread

Looking good! Cannot wait to see him change over time.

Behira, my ghost BI huffs and puffs sometimes when in shed if I have to move her, change her water, etc. She's all bluff, but it can be disconcerting, especially at almost 7 pounds now .

Yafe, my CP, is notorious for hissing and huffing when I go to pick him up AND I am bothering him or waking him up. I use the hook to let him know I am coming in the tank to get him and let him huff and puff at the hook instead of me. I've seen his teeth and even though he's a gentle soul, don't want to startle him.

Shayna (BP) will occasionally huff/hiss if she doesn't want to bothered as well.

I think many snakes will "bluff" like that. Yafe, Shayna, and Behira have never escalated things. I think it's their way of saying "I am vulnerable and leave me alone." When we call them on it, and they realize who we are, they calm down.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-26-2022),Homebody (08-25-2022),richardhind1972 (08-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Well, the large BCI I had for many years would (rarely) hiss very loud- open mouth- when disturbed (when I needed/wanted to take her out). She too was bluffing, in that all I had to do was stay out of her face & simply pet her coils while she appeared to remember she knew me- & she never once turned to bite me.

After very few minutes at most, she'd stop hissing & I'd just pick her up with no difficulty at all- she was right back to being cuddly & fully comfortable being held. I think sometimes it's just that their minds are elsewhere- they're not thinking about being "pets"- they just react as the wild souls they truly are, until we "remind them" that they know us & they're safe with us. To me it appears they know us by our touch to a great extent. Some snakes go by our scent too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-26-2022),Homebody (08-25-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Looking good! Cannot wait to see him change over time.

Behira, my ghost BI huffs and puffs sometimes when in shed if I have to move her, change her water, etc. She's all bluff, but it can be disconcerting, especially at almost 7 pounds now [IMG]file:///C:/Users/043881/AppData/Local/Temp/1/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG].

Yafe, my CP, is notorious for hissing and huffing when I go to pick him up AND I am bothering him or waking him up. I use the hook to let him know I am coming in the tank to get him and let him huff and puff at the hook instead of me. I've seen his teeth and even though he's a gentle soul, don't want to startle him.

Shayna (BP) will occasionally huff/hiss if she doesn't want to bothered as well.

I think many snakes will "bluff" like that. Yafe, Shayna, and Behira have never escalated things. I think it's their way of saying "I am vulnerable and leave me alone." When we call them on it, and they realize who we are, they calm down.
    Thanks Dave for relaying your experiences. Like I said, this huffing sound was a 1st for me because my other snakes never made a peep. I almost did a double take / step back when it happened. After the shed, he was back to his calm self.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, the large BCI I had for many years would (rarely) hiss very loud- open mouth- when disturbed (when I needed/wanted to take her out). She too was bluffing, in that all I had to do was stay out of her face & simply pet her coils while she appeared to remember she knew me- & she never once turned to bite me.

After very few minutes at most, she'd stop hissing & I'd just pick her up with no difficulty at all- she was right back to being cuddly & fully comfortable being held. I think sometimes it's just that their minds are elsewhere- they're not thinking about being "pets"- they just react as the wild souls they truly are, until we "remind them" that they know us & they're safe with us. To me it appears they know us by our touch to a great extent. Some snakes go by our scent too.
    I think you're right about their minds being elsewhere and catching them off guard. I remember sitting in on a snake demonstration once where the speaker said he always gently taps on the hide to let the snake know he's about to come into his house.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-26-2022),dakski (08-26-2022),richardhind1972 (08-28-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    ...I think you're right about their minds being elsewhere and catching them off guard. I remember sitting in on a snake demonstration once where the speaker said he always gently taps on the hide to let the snake know he's about to come into his house.
    Yes, exactly. Some people use "tap training" (using something like a snake hook or cardboard roll, either to tap the snake or their enclosure) while others (like myself) use a mixture of signals (I blow air across my hand thru the screen so they get my scent- this works especially well for colubrids- & I use my touch (usually hands-on) so they know it's me. You can also use an empty (long) shirt sleeve with your scent on it, preferably- to touch your snake while safely staying out of reach. Whatever you're comfortable with- it helps by communicating to your snake that it's just you (already familiar to them) thereby reducing the chance of a bite to you, & reducing stress to them. It's a win for us all.

Just because snakes don't hear or see well (or more to the point, they don't identify us by vision alone) doesn't mean we don't have a responsibility to communicate with them as best we can. They can certainly tell a friend (either a mate or a harmless creature like us) from a foe (a predator) by how we touch them.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-26-2022),Homebody (08-26-2022),richardhind1972 (08-28-2022)

Thanks

I took some pictures of Venom today inside the house and then decided that this little guy needed to see some sun. Immediately stepping outside, it’s almost like someone sprinkled glitter on his body and a rainbow oil sheen appeared on certain sections of his body. It’s just amazing but also disappointing that it’s so hard to capture on a camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-01-2022),dakski (09-01-2022),EL-Ziggy (09-04-2022),Homebody (09-01-2022),Kam (09-03-2022)

Thanks
    Iridescence- That's part of what I love about dark colored snakes- including the BCI that I used to have.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Good ole iridescence. Venom is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (09-04-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12