Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,172

3 members and 3,169 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts

Re: Petco process to purchase feeder rats is insane.

[QUOTE=Albert Clark;2774556]Petco’s price ranges for live mouse and rat feeders is just unreasonable and unsustainable in every way. [\quote]

It's because they're not meant to be feeders. They're meant to be pets. The price is set that way to avoid the people feeding them off... And no offense to op, but very obvious when you look at the (still expensive but eh) price of frozen feeders they carry compared to the small live pets.

Although now part of me is wondering if the op was joking because I don't know how a manager didn't get involved after telling the employee about stunning a rat before feeding.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-04-2022),Homebody (08-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If no one nearby is breeding feeder rats it sounds like a business opportunity...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-05-2022),Bogertophis (08-04-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post

Although now part of me is wondering if the op was joking because I don't know how a manager didn't get involved after telling the employee about stunning a rat before feeding.

It probably didn't even register because she couldn't imagine someone being that "cruel".
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    They also said that it was the manager helping them originally.... so I don't even know anymore? Hahah

Still a crazy story from all angles of paying that much to the store doing as they did as well
    Last edited by Armiyana; 08-05-2022 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

That’s an insane price to pay for a feeder rat. For the same $65 I’d buy a 10 pack of f/t medium rats and work on transitioning the snake to f/t. I’d offer food once a month until the animal eats, and it will eat. I know there are those who say some snakes would starve themselves to death before eating f/t prey but I still don’t believe it. I think that extreme hunger and the primary instinct to survive will drive any animal to eat eventually, especially an animal that’s eaten before.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

[QUOTE=Armiyana;2774562]
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Petco’s price ranges for live mouse and rat feeders is just unreasonable and unsustainable in every way. [\quote]

It's because they're not meant to be feeders. They're meant to be pets. The price is set that way to avoid the people feeding them off... And no offense to op, but very obvious when you look at the (still expensive but eh) price of frozen feeders they carry compared to the small live pets.

Hi , I was told specifically by the “Petco” employee that the “feeder “ mice were kept in the rear of the store. The ones that were on display in tanks and on the floor were the ones that the store sells as pets. And it was those that they would take directly from the show tanks for customers who wanted “ pet mice”. Ironically, there was no difference in the outrageous pricing. I needed the “ feeder mice” for some new hatchlings and was in between deliveries from my supplier. That was the only reason I paid Petco’s price. So, this Petco does sell feeder mice and pet mice with no difference in the pricing.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Oh that's really weird!
    where I am in CA they didn't sell live 'feeders' only the frozen and that's why they make you fill out the paperwork saying they're not to be used as feeders. Granted since I worked at Smart, I hadn't shopped at Co for 7 or 8 years so maybe the rules changed?

Meanwhile...
    all of the feeder rats I purchased to breed have ringworm. So I can't win even when I shop at the reptile shops. lol
    Strangely enough it was still easier to bathe all 7 rats than my dog =_=;

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-07-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12