Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,722

0 members and 2,722 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Albino Banana

Thanks

Albino Banana

I have decided to go through with a project I have been interested in for a while now. This year I paired my Albino female to a Banana Het Albino male (male maker). I have 10 eggs in the incubator from them. So now the tricky part will be when they hatch. I’m assuming that the banana albinos will look like regular albinos. I should be able to guess that any female “albinos” are actually just albinos because my banana is a male maker. However, I plan to study the babies and look for any possible difference in their color, patter, and eye color. Has anyone else on here tried this pairing before? If so did you notice anything about the banana albinos and were you able to distinguish them from the albinos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ReptileRant For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (08-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    That sounds like it will be a very challenging clutch to ID, but you might see something interesting you don't expect that helps tell them apart besides the eyes. There is still a small chance of getting a female Banana from a male maker, so don't 100% count on that, but as a general rule it's fairly safe to assume. Good luck! I'm excited to see the results.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-04-2022),Homebody (08-03-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    The only difference that I could see while doing a quick search on morph market is that the banana albinos can have a more pinkish looking color around the face and orange blushing along the back that a single gene albino usually lacks.

I don't think the mag light eye trick would work for albinos sadly. But I use a light to check for coral glow in my BELs. The eyes glow differently when you hold the light to the top of their head. Already having a fully red eye, it will most likely shine the same as in a way, bananas and albinos are similar.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-04-2022),Argentum (08-03-2022),Bogertophis (08-03-2022),nikkubus (08-03-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I remember seeing a video a while about albino bananas. Breeder said you could candle the heads to see if banana was in it.

It was a video at Mike Wilbank’s facility I believe, I forget who made the video tho.
    Joe
    #1 Lurker...
    working with Phantom, Black Head, Cypress, Special, Lesser, Het Daddy, Leopard, Spotnose, YB, OD, Hypo, Desert Ghost and Clown.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lovepig78 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (08-03-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts

Re: Albino Banana

Quote Originally Posted by lovepig78 View Post
    I remember seeing a video a while about albino bananas. Breeder said you could candle the heads to see if banana was in it.
    Are you sure it wasn't the method I said above for BEL? Because I learned it from Wilbanks' thread at MM:
    https://community.morphmarket.com/t/...so-banana/2717

There's a small chance it might work for albinos...but I don't know how reliable it would be. I actually don't have a normal albino BP in my collection to test a mag light on. I assume since the eyes on the albino are red then they will glow just like the banana BEL does and therefore not be reliable

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-04-2022),Homebody (08-04-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't the method I said above for BEL? Because I learned it from Wilbanks' thread at MM:
    https://community.morphmarket.com/t/...so-banana/2717

There's a small chance it might work for albinos...but I don't know how reliable it would be. I actually don't have a normal albino BP in my collection to test a mag light on. I assume since the eyes on the albino are red then they will glow just like the banana BEL does and therefore not be reliable
    You could be right, I might be misremembering the video.
    Joe
    #1 Lurker...
    working with Phantom, Black Head, Cypress, Special, Lesser, Het Daddy, Leopard, Spotnose, YB, OD, Hypo, Desert Ghost and Clown.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Nice pairing! Does the banana het albino male ( male maker) have any other inherent genes that you are aware of? The eye coloration may be a clue to who’s who or what in this case. Like, what eye color does the male have? I think Candino, candy, toffino and some single gene banana eye color may appear more ruby red than pink red. So, it may be a clue to some degree. Congratulations! 10 eggs, what a fertility blast!
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 08-04-2022 at 05:23 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-04-2022)

Thanks
    There's a video on Youtube from Royal Constrictor about Banana Albinos, but the breeder was only able to guess by the gender that his male hatchling should be Banana until he was able to breed it and confirm that it made Bananas. The second generation albino offspring were back to a guessing game by gender. Hopefully, yours will be more evident!
    Last edited by Argentum; 08-04-2022 at 04:10 PM.
    BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (08-04-2022),Homebody (08-04-2022),nikkubus (08-04-2022)