Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

1 members and 2,865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts

Pet store peeves

Just an little thing that had happened and I was mentally laughing at while checking in on my hatchlings.

They hatched out July 6th.
    I went to try a second round of meals for them on Tuesday because they've shed and are starting to get feisty.

Pop by the local reptile shop. Ask about some feeders. Small pinky mouse and some fuzzy rats. All live.
    The girl explained they were out of pinky mice, so I ask for the smallest pinky rat instead.
    She comes on out with the bag and shows them off. The pinky is kinda borderline on size for the one I need it for, but smaller than the mouse fuzzies they had. I tell her it should do okay even if still a bit large.

Asks what I'm feeding.
    'fresh hatched ball pythons'
    "These will be fine then! Are you sure you don't want 6 fuzzies the pinky is small for a ball python"
    'one of them is 29 grams.'
    "Ball pythons eat hopper mice out of the egg."
    'he's not a normal hatchling'
    "It's fine. They eat hoppers"

For once it's the opposite of my usual complaints. Typically (I know because I worked one) the big box pet stores have guidelines and care sheets made up for the employees to learn that are somewhat correct...until you get to the part about what you're recommended to sell the pet parents. Or when it comes to feeding in store... they're a bit lackluster.
    The usual complaint is that they tell you to feed something far too small.

This one was novel to me as I was now being told to feed something far too large. And the employee didn't even bother to listen to my concern. I kind of brushed it off as she hadn't seen me there before and she was young. She at least knows the basics...but I always know there's exceptions.

Even my partner was a bit put off by the Convo and he barely understands the difference between feeder sizes. He was just taken aback at how adamant she was that the snake would eat.

I did assist feed this little one a small pinky immediately after it dropped it's umbilical cord. It was on the weaker side and still did not absorb a large portion of yolk. They perked up and I'm planning on wait and see. I want them to eat on their own. (They haven't yet)
    Here's the little one in question next to a clutchmate.

Still laughing at the idea of him trying to eat something that large. But also at the situation of a knowledgeable store and the info is a bit wrong because they know the care...as opposed to the usual store that doesn't know what it's doing unless the employees have hands on personal experience.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 07-29-2022 at 08:03 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-29-2022),dakski (07-31-2022),Homebody (07-30-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    That's a huge difference in size- no way he should have a hopper! But many store employees don't have actual experience to really "know" beyond what they're trained to say...sigh. And many times they have more knowledge than the new snake owners they're dealing with, but that's not saying much- it's just that it makes some of them overconfident in what they advise. I suppose we should be glad that they don't think (most) BPs should be eating pinkie mice? That little guy has quite a stripe, btw. Pretty clutch-mate too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-29-2022),Homebody (07-30-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I'm rooting for the little one! Like... Normally you wouldn't assist feed one 2 days out of the egg either but I had to try. Took it like a champ and the difference was definitely there since. He's feisty and took a swipe at me earlier after this photo. Hahah.
    This is a little one I think had a failed twin cause there was a weird pink fleshy mass attached to the yolk too.

Definitely happy they didn't say feed them too small but yeah... It's frustrating when you get a situation where you get talked down to as well. Or expect better.
    I also had another reptile store tell me they couldn't reliably sex rats for me at the small size. Had me verify for them. Then started telling me the other employee would be in trouble cause I commented the smalls they were selling me were smaller than the ones I got the other day.... It was so weird. Especially since I held that store in high standards

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: Pet store peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's a huge difference in size- no way he should have a hopper! But many store employees don't have actual experience to really "know" beyond what they're trained to say...sigh. And many times they have more knowledge than the new snake owners they're dealing with, but that's not saying much- it's just that it makes some of them overconfident in what they advise. I suppose we should be glad that they don't think (most) BPs should be eating pinkie mice? That little guy has quite a stripe, btw. Pretty clutch-mate too.
    I'd go so far as to say that a number of chain pet stores purposefully hire "moderately" knowledgeable people, or even any random person regardless of their animal knowledge. In this day and age I know that pretty much over half of products in big box stores for exotics is either subpar, useless or outright harmful, and that a number of the animals sold have no business being considered "beginner choices." But the companies need employees who will unquestioningly push for said products and animals to sell anyway. I've been suspicious of this for a while now given all the years I've tried to get a job at any given pet store but failed, and I can't help but believe it's due to "knowing too much."

Not every pet store is like this, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't picked up on some patterns...

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I know how annoying that would be- someone with your experience (or mine) being talked down to by them, but oh well...perhaps eventually they'll realize how little they know. Or never will?

Feisty is a good sign, at least. (for snakes, not the employees, hahaha) It does sound like maybe the little one had an almost-twin.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-30-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Pet store peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I'd go so far as to say that a number of chain pet stores purposefully hire "moderately" knowledgeable people, or even any random person regardless of their animal knowledge.
    The sad thing is both of these experiences were local reptile specialty shops. Lol.

I had worked a vet hospital once that wanted me to train the new hire, a waitress with no vet training, how to attach and detach IV lines. This new hire refused to leave and get the vet for me, which ended with me franticly detaching IV lines on a dog that started coding while she sputtered I wasn't training her properly. Then standing mouth open when the vet coming to see why I was yelling for her suddenly started hustling the agonal 90 pound dog to the surgery suite.
    That was the worst incident of hiring for upsales and yes men
    I had seen.

The box store I was at was actually pretty good about hiring people with experience...but also terrible about it. A couple of my coworkers were wonderful with the animals they were knowledgeable with and always willing to learn more.
    A couple were just kids with upbeat attitudes that were just there to sell merch and didn't mind poking at the cricket bins. They were much more frustrating to deal with because no knowledge prior and relying on the barebones info. Especially difficult with fish sales ... =_=

I wish I could say it was just big box stores with issues but sadly it is everywhere.

Thank you all for listening to me vent a little about things. Lol.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-30-2022)