Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

3 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Pastel Enchi Pied x Pied Clutch ID

Hey all. This was supposed to be the second easiest pairing I did. Dad has a super prominent head stamp. I can't tell the enchi from the normals to save my life. Here's my thoughts. If you could tell me why i'm right/wrong, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance! I also tried to give as many photos as I have. I don't want to mess with them too much if possible. Let me know if any of the photos fall too short. Thanks again!

1. Pastel Pied
    2. Pastel Enchi Pied
    3. Enchi Pied
    4. Enchi Pied
    5. Enchi/Normal pied
    6. Normal Pied

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...zY?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Badpupnocookie; 07-24-2022 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Your female seems like she may have something besides just Pied as her color is pretty bright for an adult Pied. If you have any pics of her when she was younger, it might help to figure out what's going on better. If you take a look at how the yellow eyes stripe on your male is, that is a pretty solid indicator of Enchi. Before trying to ID OS, it would be better to figure out what's going on with mom if we can to make sense of the varying colors in OS. My best guess without more pictures of her is Brite, as it's the only thing I can think of that would cut the black down as much as hers to a more brown shade without causing pied to go super high white like a Lesser Pied. Any idea what her parents were? Her headstamp is pretty strong too, but then again all her OS have pretty strong headstamps as well, so that bit might be a line quality vs a morph indicator. I cannot find a single picture of a Brite Pied, but given that it's allelic with Fire, I would expect it to behave similarly and still allow for a range of highish white to 50/50s without the help of Enchi.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Re: Pastel Enchi Pied x Pied Clutch ID

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Your female seems like she may have something besides just Pied as her color is pretty bright for an adult Pied. If you have any pics of her when she was younger, it might help to figure out what's going on better. If you take a look at how the yellow eyes stripe on your male is, that is a pretty solid indicator of Enchi. Before trying to ID OS, it would be better to figure out what's going on with mom if we can to make sense of the varying colors in OS. My best guess without more pictures of her is Brite, as it's the only thing I can think of that would cut the black down as much as hers to a more brown shade without causing pied to go super high white like a Lesser Pied. Any idea what her parents were? Her headstamp is pretty strong too, but then again all her OS have pretty strong headstamps as well, so that bit might be a line quality vs a morph indicator. I cannot find a single picture of a Brite Pied, but given that it's allelic with Fire, I would expect it to behave similarly and still allow for a range of highish white to 50/50s without the help of Enchi.

I will get a better picture of her tonight after work. I purchased her as a single gene pied from Steve Winkler, and I doubt he would have missed a fire line as a juvenile. I suspect it was my photo that is making her look brighter than normal. It was a last minute shot I took in her tub. I will take better ones this evening.

Thanks for the response nikku

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Badpupnocookie View Post
    I will get a better picture of her tonight after work. I purchased her as a single gene pied from Steve Winkler, and I doubt he would have missed a fire line as a juvenile. I suspect it was my photo that is making her look brighter than normal. It was a last minute shot I took in her tub. I will take better ones this evening.

Thanks for the response nikku
    Gotcha. Sometimes photos can really do crazy things to colors.

Thanks

Gotcha. Sometimes photos can really do crazy things to colors.

I added 4 more pictures to the SireDame folder. She definitely looks less bright outside. If you still think something is going on, I will shoot Steve a Facebook message. I just don't want to bother him unless I absolutely have to. I'm sure the "Is the normal pied you sold me a normal pied" questions get old. I've got a couple other babies that you may get a kick out of once they shed. I can't find the one ANYWHERE online or offline.

Thanks
    She looks darker than the other pic, but still pretty light. Could just be a line thing. Did you get a chance to get a good look at the side of the face on the OS to see if you have changed your mind about which have Enchi?

3 look like thicker stripe to me, though I have very different angles. 3 has a lot cleaner side pattern. I think it has Enchi, but I'm not so sure about 4.

My best guess is:
    1. Pastel Enchi Pied
    2. Pastel Enchi Pied, possible Fire/? mom's morph
    3. Enchi Pied
    4. Pied, possible Fire/? mom's morph
    5. Pied
    6. Pied, possible Fire/? mom's morph

Take a look at this Enchi Firefly Pied produced by Kinova and compare to #2 and see what you think:
    Last edited by nikkubus; 07-25-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks

I think 4 may be Enchi due to the head stamp. I looked at the Firefly Enchi and then went looking on mm as well. My concern is that I can also find Pastel Enchis that look almost identical. I don't want to overstate and be wrong, ya know?

Both 1 and 2 look similar to the sire when he was 130g. 3 and 4 look similar to me and seem to be Enchi (though 4 also looks like a nice normal lol), 5 and 6 look normal. With all that said, 6 looks like mom and is much darker than 1 - 5.

Conclusion: we basically agree but I still have questions lol.

Someone else on here has had to have hatched out some Pastel enchis and enchis before.

sorry it took so long to reply, I've been mulling it over.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Badpupnocookie View Post

Someone else on here has had to have hatched out some Pastel enchis and enchis before.
    I've hatched out Enchi Pastels for days and Pieds for days, but never Enchi Pied. Pied does so much disruption to patterns and condensing color that it's hard to wrap your brain around exactly what is going on sometimes.

Thanks

I've hatched out Enchi Pastels for days and Pieds for days, but never Enchi Pied. Pied does so much disruption to patterns and condensing color that it's hard to wrap your brain around exactly what is going on sometimes.
    Yea, I skipped writing pieds. I meant pastel enchi pieds. That's the exact issue I'm having. I have found Enchi Pieds that look normal and Normal Pieds that look Enchi. It's got me shaking my head and wishing I'd sprung for an ODYB pied instead lol.