Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,121

2 members and 2,119 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Snoot 2 years later!

Hey Guys! It's been a hectic 2 years but recently someone from here emailed me asking about Snoot. So here's a rundown and update!

2 years ago Snoot came to me in really poor shape. He was emaciated with over 2/3 inch of spine clearly visible along his back. He had severe scarring and freshly healed open wounds from attempted live feeding. The owners complained that he'd never eat and that's why he was so thin. They had never attempted to feed f/t.

He was completely blind with 7 layers of eyecaps stuck. They had not touched him in 9 years as he had bitten one of them and they were afraid since then.

As for his living condition, he was in a 10gal full glass tank at 10 years old with layers of filthy newspapers that hadn't been changed and caked feces in the corners. He had no hide and insufficient heating. He had one of the worst mite infestations I've ever seen.

Honestly I was shocked he survived. I had never experienced, in 20 years of working with snakes, a ball python as aggressive, malnourished, and mistreated.

He bit me once, the first day I had him as I transferred him to a quarantine tub in my new arrival room.

Within 2 weeks he was mite free and his wounds were healing. He was incredibly calm as I removed his eye caps and restored his vision.

Within 1 month he ate his first f/t rat and I began to cautiously nourish him towards a healthy weight.

Within 5 months he was healthy enough to move out of the quarantine room and into a permanent enclosure of the proper size for his age and length.

2 years later he is not only an incredibly healthy boy but also amazingly sweet. He enjoys hanging out with anyone in our household. He's never even struck at us aside from that first day when he bit me. He travels with me to schools and nature centers to do reptile education sessions.

All in all he's a happy, healthy, beloved member of our family now.
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Namea For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-23-2022),Armiyana (07-22-2022),Bogertophis (07-22-2022),dakski (07-22-2022),Homebody (07-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Re: Snoot 2 years later!

Wow! What an inspiring story! Please post some recent pictures. Before and after pictures would be even better. Thanks.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-23-2022),Armiyana (07-22-2022),Bogertophis (07-22-2022)