Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,424

0 members and 1,424 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Do BP head stamps change?

I'm not sure where exactly to put this because I'm not sure what's going on but yeah.

I'm wondering if the pattern on a BP's head can change as they get older. I've noticed since the last shed so 7/1 that his pattern now includes 2 scales that are paler than the rest around them. They look like normal healthy scales as far as I can tell. My BP is a pastel piebald if that matters at all.

I even wondered if he's rubbing the top of his head on something but all I can think of is his hides which I've raised a bit with some substrate. The scales don't look damaged to me though so I'm a little confused.

Help me out. Am I missing something and they are damaged or is it some weird morph thing I don't know about? Or something completely different?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Have you used magnification to look at those scales? Because many snakes do a little head-rubbing & if they happen to scrape their scales enough, the underlying skin is going to be light pinkish-white, so that may (?) be what you're seeing- it's the right place for it- they typically reach way up & rub on the top of their enclosures- especially if that's where the ventilation is too.

Then again, some snakes seem to fade somewhat- in parts of their patterns, so that's possible too. Since yours is a piebald, that makes it even more likely, I'd say.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-20-2022),Homebody (07-19-2022)

Thanks
    For that photo specifically, it looks like it's most likely from some kind of damage, probably from rubbing. However, yes, snake markings/colours can change slightly over time! My BP didn't have much of a head stamp when he was a baby, but after he grew up, the colours on his head changed a bit and certain markings on the sides of his face that were previously invisible became clear.

My BP has also gotten some mild injuries from head rubbing during the months when he's looking to breed. I treated them with Vetericyn and they healed up well, but the scales where the injuries were previously turned white.
    Last edited by Luvyna; 07-19-2022 at 04:58 AM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-20-2022),Bogertophis (07-19-2022),Homebody (07-19-2022)

Thanks

Re: Do BP head stamps change?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Have you used magnification to look at those scales? Because many snakes do a little head-rubbing & if they happen to scrape their scales enough, the underlying skin is going to be light pinkish-white, so that may (?) be what you're seeing- it's the right place for it- they typically reach way up & rub on the top of their enclosures- especially if that's where the ventilation is too.

Then again, some snakes seem to fade somewhat- in parts of their patterns, so that's possible too. Since yours is a piebald, that makes it even more likely, I'd say.
    I have used magnification and I just can't really see anything wrong. Definitely could be me being inexperienced and missing something as well. Either way I figure I'll treat it with a little Vetericyn and see if it improves or gets worse. If he is rubbing against the top of his enclosure, what do I do to stop that? I currently have him in a glass exoterra.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    For that photo specifically, it looks like it's most likely from some kind of damage, probably from rubbing. However, yes, snake markings/colours can change slightly over time! My BP didn't have much of a head stamp when he was a baby, but after he grew up, the colours on his head changed a bit and certain markings on the sides of his face that were previously invisible became clear.

My BP has also gotten some mild injuries from head rubbing during the months when he's looking to breed. I treated them with Vetericyn and they healed up well, but the scales where the injuries were previously turned white.
    Makes sense that it could be from damage. I have Vetericyn so I'll apply some of that. Thanks for your advice. How do you tell if the scales are injured because I've stared at them for a while and can't figure it out? They look like the normal scales next to it. Also any advice on how to stop him from hurting himself would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,180 Posts

I agree that the location is suspicious. When my bp was pushing, he developed a bump in that same spot. Then, it went away. When it returned, I figured out that what was going on. He would push until he injured himself. Then, he would stop until he healed. Then, he would go back to pushing. I solved it by building him a larger and more secure enclosure.

But in my bp's case, it was more obviously an injury. It was a raised lump. In your case, I would just monitor it until you know what's going on. Check your temps and humidity. You could also post a pic of your set up. We'll let you know if we see anything that could be causing it.
    Last edited by Homebody; 07-20-2022 at 10:34 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I agree that the location is suspicious. When my bp was pushing, he developed a bump in that same spot. Then, it went away. When it returned, I figured out that what was going on. He would push until he injured himself. Then, he would stop until he healed. Then, he would go back to pushing. I solved it by building him a larger and more secure enclosure.

But in my bp's case, it was more obviously an injury. It was a raised lump. In your case, I would just monitor it until you know what's going on. Check your temps and humidity. You could also post a pic of your set up. We'll let you know if we see anything that could be causing it.
    I'll definitely monitor it and change as necessary. Here's my setup and a better picture of his scales. My temperatures are on the warmer side right now because it's summer and I don't have AC. So the cool side has been around 80-86 depending on outside temperatures. That could be making him uncomfortable but he's always on his warm side which is set to 90 and I check that regularly. Hides are identical so he definitely has the choice if he wants to be cooler. Humidity has been a bit of a problem seeing as it's normally humid in my home. But it usually isn't over 70% unless I just watered the plants.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2022)

Thanks
    That's a really warm "cool side" & I would guess that's possibly why he's looking to go somewhere else- or it could be just the "fresh air" that's carrying interesting scents from beyond.

To stop him from rubbing on the screen top, I'd remove those branches that allow him to reach it- he won't be able to, just by reaching upwards. It honestly doesn't appear to be a "rub" though.

Even without A/C, there's other ways you can offer him cooler temperatures if needed. For example: Keep a plastic bottle of water in the fridge, to exchange with one in the "cool" corner of his enclosure twice a day. Sometimes you just have to get creative- just always think "safety" too.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-20-2022),Homebody (07-20-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's a really warm "cool side" & I would guess that's possibly why he's looking to go somewhere else- or it could be just the "fresh air" that's carrying interesting scents from beyond.

To stop him from rubbing on the screen top, I'd remove those branches that allow him to reach it- he won't be able to, just by reaching upwards. It honestly doesn't appear to be a "rub" though.

Even without A/C, there's other ways you can offer him cooler temperatures if needed. For example: Keep a plastic bottle of water in the fridge, to exchange with one in the "cool" corner of his enclosure twice a day. Sometimes you just have to get creative- just always think "safety" too.
    I didn't even think about the water bottle trick that's awesome. I'll have to try it. When it's night, so cooler temps, I've been opening his enclosure and just letting it air out until I go to sleep. But yeah I'm very aware that the temperature is too hot. It's too hot for me as well lol. I've been freezing water and leaving by a fan that's near his tank but I didn't think about actually putting frozen water bowls in there. As far as whatever he has for now I think I'll just monitor and if it becomes worse or different I'll cut the branches. Thanks for everyone's help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    I didn't even think about the water bottle trick that's awesome. I'll have to try it. When it's night, so cooler temps, I've been opening his enclosure and just letting it air out until I go to sleep. But yeah I'm very aware that the temperature is too hot. It's too hot for me as well lol. I've been freezing water and leaving by a fan that's near his tank but I didn't think about actually putting frozen water bowls in there. As far as whatever he has for now I think I'll just monitor and if it becomes worse or different I'll cut the branches. Thanks for everyone's help.
    I think Boger's suggesting refrigerated water, not frozen water. I agree this is an awesome idea. I'll try it myself. My poor snake's been baking too.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post

If you don't want to mess with water bottles, & would like something that lasts & is multi-purpose, you can get those gel-packs they sell for human use on sore muscles/injuries- they go in the freezer for sustained cold, or can be heated to apply warmth to the body. More than one way to do this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-20-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast