Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,761

0 members and 2,761 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Looking for Suggestions on 2nd Snake

Hello everyone…It’s been a minute since I’ve been on the board. Long story short, I started with a beautiful Candino Ball Python several years ago and then a Super Ghost Boa about 3 years ago. Due to the ever existing feeding issues that come with a BP and never seeing him (always hiding), I decided to part ways and make room for another snake. I’m leaning towards another Boa since I enjoy how inquisitive, slow moving and the bigger (but not huge) size. I’m also considering a Carpet Python but it’s a far 2nd on the list due to my unfamiliarity and the thought that they may be harder to handle (ie faster moving). Looking for thoughts and suggestions. If I decide on a Boa, Motleys and Bloods have peaked my interest but I’d love to get some opinions. Thank you!
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: Looking for Suggestions on 2nd Snake

I have a carpet python and several boas. Both snakes make a good next step up from a ball python.

If you don't want too big of a critter look for a smaller locality/Central American boa.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

You already know how I feel buddy. Variety is the spice of life. Carpets and boas are a great critter combo. They’re both awesome species with some cool differences. Kingsnakes are really cool snakes too.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (07-18-2022),Homebody (07-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I have 3 boas and 1 Carpet Python.

I think I lucked out with Yafe (my CP), who was a little older when I got him, and had been handled, etc. He is a doll. Total sweetie. I don't always hear the same about younger carpets. I have hook trained him, as well as my boas, and once out and about, he's a dream.

I think in general, you will find boas are a little more laid back. If I remember, you had a couple bites with your Ghost BI boy when he was young, but that was it. Yafe is very inquisitive and active, but not defensive at all. Many carpets are like this when older, but it can take time.

Anyway, pro to a CP is they are phenomenal display snakes. Yafe is rarely in a hide and loves to hang on his perches and moves around a lot in the evening making him interesting to watch.

I rambled a little here.

If you want something different, go with a Carpet Python. People on here can help with breeders and sizes of adults based on type, etc.

However, if you are comfortable with boas, getting a female (which can be larger than the male you have) or a different morph, or a cool locale, etc. can be a great way to go. I absolutely love my boas (hence having 3).

Cannot go wrong with a blood or motley. I would lean more towards something bright and different from what you have, but that's your decision. I think, and people can correct me if I am wrong, but some of the bloods are central American in lineage and will stay smaller. However, I've heard they can be less laid back than a BI. Probably depends on a lot on the snake.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Hello everyone…It’s been a minute since I’ve been on the board. Long story short, I started with a beautiful Candino Ball Python several years ago and then a Super Ghost Boa about 3 years ago. Due to the ever existing feeding issues that come with a BP and never seeing him (always hiding), I decided to part ways and make room for another snake. I’m leaning towards another Boa since I enjoy how inquisitive, slow moving and the bigger (but not huge) size. I’m also considering a Carpet Python but it’s a far 2nd on the list due to my unfamiliarity and the thought that they may be harder to handle (ie faster moving). Looking for thoughts and suggestions. If I decide on a Boa, Motleys and Bloods have peaked my interest but I’d love to get some opinions. Thank you!
    An Angolan python seems to fit your description. I keep a Children's python and I love him, but I think he'd be too small for you.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-17-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    You already know how I feel buddy. Variety is the spice of life. Carpets and boas are a great critter combo. They’re both awesome species with some cool differences. Kingsnakes are really cool snakes too.
    Yes I do brother. You could make my choice so much easier by letting go of that beautiful Motely. I think I'm a little gun shy with the Carpets just due to my unfamiliarity with them. Plus I'd like a slower moving animal.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-18-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

I think in general, you will find boas are a little more laid back. If I remember, you had a couple bites with your Ghost BI boy when he was young, but that was it. Yafe is very inquisitive and active, but not defensive at all. Many carpets are like this when older, but it can take time.

However, if you are comfortable with boas, getting a female (which can be larger than the male you have) or a different morph, or a cool locale, etc. can be a great way to go. I absolutely love my boas (hence having 3).

Cannot go wrong with a blood or motley. I would lean more towards something bright and different from what you have, but that's your decision. I think, and people can correct me if I am wrong, but some of the bloods are central American in lineage and will stay smaller. However, I've heard they can be less laid back than a BI. Probably depends on a lot on the snake.
    Actually only one small bite which I didn't even realize it was happening until I saw a drop of blood when I first got him as a baby. He's been wonderful for the last couple of years. If I go with another BOA, I definitely want something brighter then the Ghost BOA. I'll be checking out a show this weekend to get some ideas. Appreciate the feedback Dave.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-18-2022),EL-Ziggy (07-18-2022)