Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,120

0 members and 2,120 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Help! Breeding cycle or impaction symptoms?

Hey there, I need some help with a terrible coincidence.

Some background: I'm a new breeder in my first season. I started pairing in December and had confirmed locks monthly through February (skipped March and paired in April but did not confirm a lock, after that I stopped pairing my male because he was off food). My female had been eating without fail the entire season. I'm still learning what to look for, but I think I've observed cool seeking and...I'm not sure if it was ovulation, but a thickening of her body right before her tail. These were somewhere between May and June (I couldn't tell you the exact dates). Her last shed was in March, unless I missed one.

I recently ran out of her regular substrate and temporarily switched to coconut coir until I could get to the pet store. A month ago, she missed her strike (this is unusual for her) while feeding and got a mouthful of it. I rinsed out what I could, and she still ate that night. The week after that she refused food entirely, and has consistently since. Absolutely no interest. She's also moved to the hot spot and spends most of her time coiled up tightly there. Problem is, because of the timing I cannot for the life of me tell if she's coincidentally moved into the heat seeking phase of the breeding cycle and is going to lay late in the season, or if she's experiencing an impaction from the substrate and the behavior change is pain/discomfort. She hasn't pooped (but expelled urates a day or two after the substrate incident), and usually goes a while in between but if impaction is a possibility, I don't want to wait too long to find out. A few days ago she had a 15 minute soak (no change).

Should I wait a little longer or call the vet now? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I can't say for sure, obviously, but I doubt that she is impacted from a mouthful of coir with her meal- it would take something much more "chunky" & indigestible- I believe coir would get pushed right on thru with the food because it's just small particles. Since snakes don't defecate for every meal they eat, I think it's all likely to be normal, & I see no reason to call a vet since this behavior coincides with what you expect in terms of her breeding cycle (& the heat-seeking seems to reinforce that).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-13-2022),lizzylizard (07-13-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 835 Posts
    Does she look like she's ready to shed?
    It's not unusual for females to slow down then stop feeding before laying.

My girl stopped eating before her prelay shed so she was off food for maybe 45 days prior to laying
    Last edited by Armiyana; 07-13-2022 at 06:41 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-13-2022),Homebody (07-13-2022),lizzylizard (07-13-2022)

Thanks

Re: Help! Breeding cycle or impaction symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Does she look like she's ready to shed?
    It's not unusual for females to slow down then stop feeding before laying.

My girl stopped eating before her prelay shed so she was off food for maybe 45 days prior to laying
    I haven't seen any signs of shed yet, but I'm watching for a prelay
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    And their 6 hatchlings (:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lizzylizard For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-13-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 835 Posts
    Keep an eye out for the growing belly. You can also carefully feel along her belly by holding your thumbs along her spine and carefully squeezing her belly a bit with your index fingers to feel for anything out of the ordinary. Eggs will feel like water balloons, poop is definitely more solid feeling.

If she DOES take a meal and regurges it, then I would be concerned about the state of her intestines and consider a vet visit. But if she's otherwise healthy looking, I would play it by ear. Mine have gotten a bit of coco fiber with their prey in the past, haven't had an issue. It's usually my younger ones who like to drag prey around a bit enthusiastically.
    I actually like to keep my leopard geckos on dryed out cocofiber instead of any kind of sand for somewhat similar reasons. They dislike the taste and usually don't eat enough of it because of that to cause an issue. Sand can be more difficult to keep them from eating and such, even when you have calcium and vitamin supplements available.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 07-13-2022 at 11:24 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-13-2022),Homebody (07-14-2022),lizzylizard (07-14-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

I don’t think there is very much in the ingestion that her body can’t handle. Truly, this happens frequently when foreign substances are taken into the digestive tract. Remember these reptiles have strong hydrochloride acids, enzymes that are specifically summoned into action in this type of situation. I would stand back and observe her for now, especially since there is the strong possibility of her being gravid. Heat seeking in the enclosure at this point coupled with the inappetance are also signs of a impending egg laying. Armiyana says look for the bulging girth and pre lay shed and that’s also key.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 07-14-2022 at 07:12 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2022),Homebody (07-14-2022),lizzylizard (07-14-2022)

Thanks

Wanted to give y'all an update. She's in shed (blue) today, 21 days after going off food
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    And their 6 hatchlings (:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizzylizard For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-16-2022),Bogertophis (07-16-2022)