Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

2 members and 3,142 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

First Snake (Colombian Boa Imperator)

Hello! I'm new to the forum, just wanted to say hi and introduce my Colombian Boa Imperator named Titus. He is 3 months old and is a Hypo, Het Albino Kahl. He is my first snake, but I have kept various reptiles in the past, as well as various animals. I have had him for 5 weeks, and so far he seems to be doing really well. I feed him 1 f/t hopper mouse every week, which he is eating with ease. I have him in a 116 quart 116 qt. sterilite (33"L x 20.125"W x 13.5"H). I put in 2 half log hides, a couple of fake plant/vines, and a medium water bowl. For heat I have a UTH under the warm side hide, as well as a red heat lamp above the same hide. At the moment, I have the heat gradient at 85f-75f with a hot spot of 90f-95f, and I'm able to keep the humidity around 65% with occasional misting as needed (It occasionally dips down to 57% or so, but usually rises back by itself. Typically stays between 60-65%).

Things seem to be going well. He has handled well from day one, and has never tried to strike at anything but food. I think I heard him his 1 time, maybe. If so it was a really short hiss and it was when I went to pick him up right after waking him up. I have learned to approach him in a way that seems to be pretty easy for him to tolerate, waiting for him to be awake and aware, talking to him a bit first, and coming in low and slow. I will probably have some questions for anyone who has answers, but until then, here are some photos of Titus and his setup.

P.S. His sterilite setup is temporary, as I will be building him a custom enclosure at some point soon.

Last edited by RZBishop; 07-13-2022 at 09:46 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RZBishop For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-13-2022),Bogertophis (07-13-2022),richardhind1972 (07-14-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,176 Posts

Re: First Snake (Colombian Boa Imperator)

Welcome. Beautiful pics and a beautiful boa. You've got a photographer's eye. I'm envious. Keep the pics coming. We love pics.

I've got a couple suggestions for you. Consider hook training your boa. It'll help you avoid bites, and it's best to start when they are young. There's an instructional thread here. Also consider extinguishing the red light at night. Despite what some believe, snakes can see red light, so it may disturb your snakes sleep cycle. There's a recent thread about it here.

I look forward to hearing about your custom enclosure build. I built one, myself, and I love hearing about how others go about it.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-13-2022),dakski (07-13-2022),EL-Ziggy (07-16-2022),RZBishop (07-13-2022)

Thanks

Thanks for the nice comments! I'm no photographer, but have always liked the idea and I do enjoy attempting to take nice pictures. And every once in a while I get lucky, lol. But thank you none the less.

(I checked out the links you provided, thanks!)

I have actually been on the fence about both topics you brought up. After researching quite a bit and asking questions to others and on other forums, I definitely have decided to ditch the Red Light and go for a CHE for now (my red light is on a dimmer and I have it cranked down, but I will be putting a CHE on that dimmer instead). The only thing that has stopped me from doing that yet is that I am not sure if a CHE will be ok on top of a sterilite. I cut a big 6 inch hole and taped some screen down and have a dome lamp sitting right on top. It has held up beautifully, but I don't know if a CHE will hold up the same, or if it will weaken/melt the lid enough to make the fixture fall into the tub. (if anyone has experience with this or any comments, I would love to hear them)

As for hook training, in the beginning of my research, I was certain I would start immediately. But again, after reading forum posts and asking around, it seems like people have decent luck without the hook a fair amount of the time. Maybe it falls down to the individual snake? Not sure. So, I may get into it. For right now, I kind of do the same thing with my hand. I tap the tub lightly to let him know I'm there, then I talk to him for a minute or so. Finally, I come in with my hand low and slow, touching his side and back away from his head, very softly. After about 10-15 seconds of that, I scoop him right up. Has worked thus far, but I know one thing, if I get tagged I will definitely be changing my mind.
    Last edited by RZBishop; 07-13-2022 at 12:46 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RZBishop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-13-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RZBishop View Post
    Thanks for the nice comments! I'm no photographer, but have always liked the idea and I do enjoy attempting to take nice pictures. And every once in a while I get lucky, lol. But thank you none the less.

(I checked out the links you provided, thanks!)

I have actually been on the fence about both topics you brought up. After researching quite a bit and asking questions to others and on other forums, I definitely have decided to ditch the Red Light and go for a CHE for now (my red light is on a dimmer and I have it cranked down, but I will be putting a CHE on that dimmer instead). The only thing that has stopped me from doing that yet is that I am not sure if a CHE will be ok on top of a sterilite. I cut a big 6 inch hole and taped some screen down and have a dome lamp sitting right on top. It has held up beautifully, but I don't know if a CHE will hold up the same, or if it will weaken/melt the lid enough to make the fixture fall into the tub. (if anyone has experience with this or any comments, I would love to hear them)

As for hook training, in the beginning of my research, I was certain I would start immediately. But again, after reading forum posts and asking around, it seems like people have decent luck without the hook a fair amount of the time. Maybe it falls down to the individual snake? Not sure. So, I may get into it. For right now, I kind of do the same thing with my hand. I tap the tub lightly to let him know I'm there, then I talk to him for a minute or so. Finally, I come in with my hand low and slow, touching his side and back away from his head, very softly. After about 10-15 seconds of that, I scoop him right up. Has worked thus far, but I know one thing, if I get tagged I will definitely be changing my mind.
    Sorry. I can't help you with a CHE set up. I've never used them. I kept my ball python in a sterilite for a year, but I used a UTH, largely to allay my concerns about melting.

As for hook training, my Children's python is a biter, so dakski suggested that I try it. I just started, but so far so good.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing about your custom build. You should post your plan for community review. I did and got some great feedback.
    Last edited by Homebody; 07-13-2022 at 01:18 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-13-2022),RZBishop (07-13-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

I had a BCI for many years- she came to me as an unwanted yearling that changed hands many times (for biting!) & I never hook trained her, so you're absolutely correct that it's not essential. You have good instincts already- I can tell from what you've written. BTW, I never got even one bite from that boa- but at first, when she wanted to, I didn't give her the opportunity, & then after I worked with her for not more than 2 mos. she no longer felt afraid & therefore didn't want to bite me or anyone else- in all the years I had her. No bites- that's my goal too.

The key is communication- making sure you don't startle her (just as you're doing) & give her time to recognize you (scent & touch mostly) so she feels safe- that's really what reassures a snake- that you're not some unknown predator. FYI- when I took on that yearling boa, I'd hold her on my lap wrapped in a towel for 30-60 minutes at a time, so she had time to learn my scent and touch, while "hiding" under the towel- then I gradually allowed her to peek out & see "the big scary monster" that was holding her. Up until then, she'd had bad experiences with people & bit them just out of fear, because they never took the time to just help her feel unthreatened- they were too pushy. Good "snake manners" will get you happy, mellow snakes.

In later years with that BCI, every now & then she'd be off somewhere in her thoughts & hiss, a big HUGE hiss, when I wanted or needed to take her out- like to clean. But even then, I didn't use a hook- why would I, when it was my hand's touch she knew? She remained coiled & I'd just reach in & gently touch her coils- not "in her face" but the other side, & every time, after a few minutes, she'd stop hissing & I'd just pick her up. She was always fine, which was a good thing because she was pretty big...

Congrats on your first snake- I hope you have many happy years with yours too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-13-2022),RZBishop (07-13-2022)

Thanks

Thank you for your comment! That is an awesome story, so cool that you were able to help her to adjust and calm down so much that you don't need a hook for anything! I am doing my best to help Titus be completely comfortable. His breeder said he was handled a few times a week, and from day one he's seemed fine. More cautious in the beginning, and still a little now, as I have only had him for 5 weeks. But I have his tub right next to my side of the bed, so he sees me every day. I make it a point to get down and be near him for a while each day. And I handle him every day except for the 48 hours after feeding him. I feed him on Thursday night, so Friday is his sleepy day. But come Saturday night, he is back out and I'm handling him.

I usually handle him for about 20 minutes to an hour, depending on what I'm doing. I usually walk around the house with him, take him outside and walk a bit, or sit/lay watching TV and let him explore around my chest and the very immediate surrounds within arms reach. I read that handling should be done just a couple times a week for small periods of time, and to put them back when they seem like they have had enough. But Titus seems to get more comfortable the longer he stays out. He hasn't shown any aggression or frustration of any sort at all except for a tiny short whisper of a hiss in the second week of having him. I went in to pick him up slowly, but I woke him up and didn't give him enough time to wake up and be ok I guess, so he was mildly cranky. But I backed off and talked to him for about a minute, then the light pets, and boom. Happy snake in my hands.

I hope to get him really used to me by handling him as much as I can, because I plan to handle him frequently throughout his life, so hopefully by the time he is a bigger boy he will be as chill as can be.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZBishop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-13-2022),Homebody (07-13-2022)

Thanks
    I think you're doing great- trust your instincts! And that BCI- she was the same way- she loved to be out with me- I'd take her for walks (she was on my shoulders- I did the walking) in my back yard (when the temps. were good), & inside, she loved to wrap around me while I'd sit watching a long movie, & she STILL didn't want to go back in her home, hahaha! That can be another kind of rodeo when they get big- putting them back! - but I think you're well on your way to having a trustworthy, mellow boa.

There is one "other" kind of bite, & especially from a boa, I'd not wish that on anyone- don't get in their way (within reach) at feeding time! Use long feeding tongs- Mine had a very impressive appetite, as I'm sure yours does too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

RZBishop (07-13-2022)

Thanks

Thank you! I can't wait until he is big enough to wrap around my waist, we will definitely be out and about when the weather permits! And yea, it's already kind of tricky to put this little guy back in his enclosure. He tries everything in his power to climb back up my arm. It is funny and entertaining at the moment. I can only imagine when he is big, lol.

He definitely has a strong food response and appetite. He takes his mouse within 5-10 seconds every time and usually has it down within 5-8 minutes or so. And his strike is insane. I was not aware how fast he would slam it. Being so small, the impact is not really hard, but I can only imagine what it will be like when he is adult sized. I am using 12 inch tongs so hopefully I am good to go.

But yea, I'm happy with my decision on BCI. At 33 years old, I had never even held a snake but regardless I decided I might want one. So I went to a reptile shop a couple months back and held some BP's and BCI's. I researched as many species and as much info as I could on proper care. The Boa won me over almost immediately. The head shape and the patterns just did it for me.

And I also did not realize how calming and therapeutic handling him would end up being for me. But again, couldn't be happier with him and the start of this journey.
    Last edited by RZBishop; 07-13-2022 at 02:10 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZBishop For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you! I can't wait until he is big enough to wrap around my waist, we will definitely be out and about when the weather permits! And yea, it's already kind of tricky to put this little guy back in his enclosure. He tries everything in his power to climb back up my arm. It is funny and entertaining at the moment. I can only imagine when he is big, lol.

He definitely has a strong food response and appetite. He takes his mouse within 5-10 seconds every time and usually has it down within 5-8 minutes or so. And his strike is insane. I was not aware how fast he would slam it. Being so small, the impact is not really hard, but I can only imagine what it will be like when he is adult sized. I am using 12 inch tongs so hopefully I am good to go.

But yea, I'm happy with my decision on BCI. At 33 years old, I had never even held a snake but regardless I decided I might want one. So I went to a reptile shop a couple months back and held some BP's and BCI's. I researched as many species and as much info as I could on proper care. The Boa won me over almost immediately. The head shape and the patterns just did it for me.

And I also did not realize how calming and therapeutic handling him would end up being for me. But again, couldn't be happier with him and the start of this journey.
    As he grows, so too should the length of your feeding tongs. Trust me- snakes sometimes overshoot their target for a big warm hand, lol. Or so I hear... I mostly used my 18" non-locking hemostat for feeding the boa, & still use them for my 7' rat snakes- I also have a 24" hemostat (from when I kept & fed hots- another place you don't want any mistakes!) but the length makes it awkward, not comfortable like the 18" one is. It's still good for retrieving things from a drain or behind furniture though, hahaha.

Incidentally, that's what I love about snakes too- that they're "calming & therapeutic"- when you hold them & try to convey to them that they're "safe" with you, you get the same vibes back. Snakes are not demanding pets, & don't get me wrong, I love dogs & still have one, but they're almost constantly in need of something, unlike snakes, which are also quiet. I'd say you came to the right "place".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

RZBishop (07-13-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Snakes are not demanding pets, & don't get me wrong, I love dogs & still have one, but they're almost constantly in need of something, unlike snakes, which are also quiet. I'd say you came to the right "place".
    Yea, the low demand of a Boa as a pet, grouped with how fascinating they are to watch, how calming they are to handle, and the fact they they are silent and content to just be warm and cozy in their enclosure until it's playtime, kind of puts them WAY up on the perfect pet scale for me. I love dogs too, and currently have one. I love animals in general, but that checklist is just too compelling. Never knew I was a snake person until I got one, lol.
    Last edited by RZBishop; 07-13-2022 at 03:07 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZBishop For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast