Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 331

2 members and 329 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

tygarys (54)

» Stats

Members: 73,069
Threads: 246,957
Posts: 2,557,647
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bigsnakedaddy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Registered User Wanik4's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-10-2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 39 Times in 15 Posts

    New Half Dwarf Burmese Father!

    Hi all. New here, but not New to reptiles. Have carpet pythons, a b&w twgu and a BTS...Picked this guy up from a breeder at a Maryland reptile show who I really thought was genuine, older guy who'd been in hobby for a long time, showed me pics of the parents, so I felt comfortable about the purchase and expectation of the size he "should" get. I understand nothing is guaranteed and am comfortable with large reptiles. Anyhow, a big but simple question I had was this...

    I set him up in a PVC 4x2x2 with a VE RHP on one side (was not putting out as much heat as I wanted as it's being run off the same 95* probe I have a jungle carpet on...and the other side is a caged halogen flood lamp. Basking spot is 95* with a flat rock as the heat collector. Humidity is about 71* and he has the XL corner water bowl to soak if he so wishes...some glazed flower pots and cork bark, mopani wood around to keep simple...please lmk if I missed anything.

    My BIG question is, can the hot spot go away at night if the RHP is providing a warm area in the 80s? My reptiles are in the basement and it's probably 74 down there, but just want to make sure that night drop is okay since the RHP is always on with a VE-300.

    Sorry I know that's a lot, and this siE enclosure is all I had, I fear it's a bit too big, but I read they grow fast and am hoping it's fine. He seems about 3ish ft already, Thanks!

    CJ



    Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    17,895
    Thanks
    24,468
    Thanked 16,395 Times in 10,082 Posts
    Welcome- on your first post here. I'm a long-time snake keeper with many species but not these- so hopefully it won't be too long before those who have experience with these drop by to answer your very good question. Off-hand, I would tend to think that would be fine (if the hot spot went away @ night with the remaining temperature still remains in the 80's) since that's pretty much what happens in the wild anyway- but do wait for those with experience with these to give input. Good question.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Wanik4 (07-11-2022)

  4. #3
    bcr229's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-18-2013
    Location
    Eastern WV Panhandle
    Posts
    9,328
    Thanks
    2,728
    Thanked 9,383 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Images: 34
    Basking spot of 95*F is a bit high for a burm, I would see what I could do to cut it back to 90-92*F during the day. Swap out the flood light for a CHE or DHP which puts out more heat than light so they're more efficient, and put it on its own thermostat.

  5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

    Albert Clark (07-13-2022),Alicia (07-12-2022),Bogertophis (07-11-2022),dakski (07-11-2022),EL-Ziggy (08-07-2022),Gio (07-12-2022),GoingPostal (07-12-2022),Homebody (07-12-2022),Wanik4 (07-11-2022)

  6. #4
    BPnet Lifer dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,551
    Thanks
    7,551
    Thanked 8,912 Times in 3,627 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: New Half Dwarf Burmese Father!

    Hey and congrats! I've always wanted a dwarf burm, kind of my dream snake, but I can't risk how big one might get. I'll stick with my boas and carpet python as my "large" snakes and I do love all of them.

    People differ on night drops. I imagine if the tanks ambient is staying in the 80's, you don't need the hot spots at night. Having said that, I choose to keep temps constant in all my tanks, except my BTS, who has a 95-97F basking spot. When the lights go out, he loses the basking spot, but still has a 90F warm spot if he needs to digest.

    As mentioned, night drops are natural, but from view, keeping temps constant probably allows for better digestion. Assuming you are feeding appropriate sized meals, it probably doesn't matter either way.

    Good luck and keep us posted.

    EDIT: Just saw bcr229's post. I cannot comment on burm temps, as I do not have one and haven't researched. However, I am glad bcr chimed in.
    Last edited by dakski; 07-11-2022 at 09:10 PM.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Albert Clark (07-13-2022),Homebody (07-12-2022),Wanik4 (07-11-2022)

  8. #5
    Registered User Wanik4's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-10-2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 39 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: New Half Dwarf Burmese Father!

    Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Basking spot of 95*F is a bit high for a burm, I would see what I could do to cut it back to 90-92*F during the day. Swap out the flood light for a CHE or DHP which puts out more heat than light so they're more efficient, and put it on its own thermostat.
    I definitely know that is the too end but thought maybe he'd find where he like the most...I can knock it down a hair. The thing about CHEs is that I was told the ceramic bulb holders I use don't work well with PVC so I'd have to find a different way. The floor is actual the only day light source, bit I have a 3ft UV strip I'm planning on tossing in and can even run a simple LED I guess...put this cage together sort of on the fly (not ideal) so it's pretty bare bones to let him acclimate.

    Thanks for your input...also, what is DHP?

    Cj

    Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

  9. #6
    Registered User Wanik4's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-10-2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 39 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: New Half Dwarf Burmese Father!

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Hey and congrats! I've always wanted a dwarf burm, kind of my dream snake, but I can't risk how big one might get. I'll stick with my boas and carpet python as my "large" snakes and I do love all of them.

    People differ on night drops. I imagine if the tanks ambient is staying in the 80's, you don't need the hot spots at night. Having said that, I choose to keep temps constant in all my tanks, except my BTS, who has a 95-97F basking spot. When the lights go out, he loses the basking spot, but still has a 90F warm spot if he needs to digest.

    As mentioned, night drops are natural, but from view, keeping temps constant probably allows for better digestion. Assuming you are feeding appropriate sized meals, it probably doesn't matter either way.

    Good luck and keep us posted.

    EDIT: Just saw bcr229's post. I cannot comment on burm temps, as I do not have one and haven't researched. However, I am glad bcr chimed in.
    Thanks! Yeah it will be an interesting test of time I'll try and keep posted. I've always been a man of excess, so this is just a normal progression of how my life works haha. Interesting my BTS has no heat at night, just a fogger that runs on a timer. He's a halmahera and doing great! About 90% humidity for him consistently.. cheers

    Cj

    Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

    dakski (07-11-2022),Homebody (07-12-2022)

  11. #7
    BPnet Lifer dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,551
    Thanks
    7,551
    Thanked 8,912 Times in 3,627 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: New Half Dwarf Burmese Father!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanik4 View Post
    Thanks! Yeah it will be an interesting test of time I'll try and keep posted. I've always been a man of excess, so this is just a normal progression of how my life works haha. Interesting my BTS has no heat at night, just a fogger that runs on a timer. He's a halmahera and doing great! About 90% humidity for him consistently.. cheers

    Cj

    Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    My BTS is a northern Australian. So different requirements.

    Yeah, please keep us posted if possible. Would love to see your guy grow.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Wanik4 (07-11-2022)

  13. #8
    bcr229's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-18-2013
    Location
    Eastern WV Panhandle
    Posts
    9,328
    Thanks
    2,728
    Thanked 9,383 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Images: 34

    Re: New Half Dwarf Burmese Father!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanik4 View Post
    Thanks for your input...also, what is DHP?
    DHP = deep heat projector. They work like CHE's but in a smaller unit and they work in standard heat lamp fixtures.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

    Albert Clark (07-13-2022),Homebody (07-12-2022),Wanik4 (07-11-2022)

  15. #9
    Registered User Wanik4's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-10-2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 39 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: New Half Dwarf Burmese Father!

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    My BTS is a northern Australian. So different requirements.

    Yeah, please keep us posted if possible. Would love to see your guy grow.
    Here's a pic of him in his new pad..

    Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

  16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wanik4 For This Useful Post:

    Albert Clark (07-13-2022),Alicia (07-12-2022),Bogertophis (07-11-2022),dakski (07-11-2022),Gio (07-12-2022),Homebody (07-12-2022)

  17. #10
    Registered User Wanik4's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-10-2022
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 39 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: New Half Dwarf Burmese Father!

    Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    DHP = deep heat projector. They work like CHE's but in a smaller unit and they work in standard heat lamp fixtures.
    Oh I saw one of those from Arcadia today, will grab one at PSmart as they apparently now supply Arcadia....thanks!

    Cj

    Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1