Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,891

1 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Rat bit BP Face

Thanks

Rat bit BP Face

So i was feeding my bp and as he went to constrict the rat bit his face. He wasn't fazed and ate the rat like normal. It was bleeding for a bit but it's fine now. Should I put neosporin on now and risk regurgitation or should I wait till tomorrow?

Btw i know live feeding is bad im trying to get him to take frozen.

This is the bite Imgur: The magic of the Internet

it looks worse in the image though.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    A little* Neosporin would be a good idea (use a Q-tip to dab on the wound), OR apply diluted** Betadine (povidone-iodine) **diluted to look like "weak tea".

BEST to use would be the Vetericyn (brand) ointment made for reptiles, since it's water-based, not petroleum-jelly based (which can mess up a snake's skin- causing scales to de-laminate). I'd suggest you get some to apply for a while until this heals. (You can expect extra sheds, btw, as that's how snakes heal.)

Rat bites have lots of germs- & bites to the face can become seriously infected- watch for oozing, bleeding, swelling, failure to heal. A vet visit (for antibiotics) would be a very good idea, IMO, since the bite is near life-essential organs (eyes, brain, nose, mouth) where an infection could be serious.

More important to treat now- but if you're low-key about it, he shouldn't regurge at all- just don't pick him up- keep him relaxed & just go about applying topical antiseptic- don't make a big production out of it, to where he squirms more. Gently restrain his head but NOT with a "choke-hold" & do what you need to do. Over-restraint will just get you a battle...

Are you guys starting a rat-bite club or something? https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-while-feeding
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-04-2022 at 02:50 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Rat bit BP Face

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    A little* Neosporin would be a good idea (use a Q-tip to dab on the wound), OR apply diluted** Betadine (povidone-iodine) **diluted to look like "weak tea".

BEST to use would be the Vetericyn (brand) ointment made for reptiles, since it's water-based, not petroleum-jelly based (which can mess up a snake's skin- causing scales to de-laminate). I'd suggest you get some to apply for a while until this heals. (You can expect extra sheds, btw, as that's how snakes heal.)

Rat bites have lots of germs- & bites to the face can become seriously infected- watch for oozing, bleeding, swelling, failure to heal. A vet visit (for antibiotics) would be a very good idea, IMO, since the bite is near life-essential organs (eyes, brain, nose, mouth) where an infection could be serious.

More important to treat now- but if you're low-key about it, he shouldn't regurge at all- just don't pick him up- keep him relaxed & just go about applying topical antiseptic- don't make a big production out of it, to where he squirms more. Gently restrain his head but NOT with a "choke-hold" & do what you need to do. Over-restraint will just get you a battle...

Are you guys starting a rat-bite club or something? https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-while-feeding
    Hi thanks for the response. Im going to the vet tommorow and the vet said dont apply anything tonight since he just ate. Does that sound right?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-read my answer- personally, I'd apply something (as noted above). But gently- don't pick him up or make a big deal- keep in friendly & low-key. When you don't over-power them (& scare them into thinking they have to fight for their life), you'd be surprised how mellow snakes are as "patients".

Glad you're having the vet check him, btw.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-04-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks

Re: Rat bit BP Face

thanks! ill do that then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Max12069 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-04-2022)