Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

2 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ball python's scales flaking bad

For a few weeks he's been on 2 meds for a bacterial infection, I have to apply the topical twice a day, and bathe him with special shampoo twice a week. About 2 weeks ago I noticed he was flaking a little, then within the last week it's been really bad, I'm wondering if it's the shampoo, Keto-c, because it says for cats & dogs. I can't find much info about it being used on snakes, or other reptiles, so I'm not sure. But I'm worried, I do plan to talk to my vet, but I wanted an opinion on this first.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Ball python's scales flaking bad

Quote Originally Posted by Missveronica View Post
    For a few weeks he's been on 2 meds for a bacterial infection, I have to apply the topical twice a day, and bathe him with special shampoo twice a week. About 2 weeks ago I noticed he was flaking a little, then within the last week it's been really bad, I'm wondering if it's the shampoo, Keto-c, because it says for cats & dogs. I can't find much info about it being used on snakes, or other reptiles, so I'm not sure. But I'm worried, I do plan to talk to my vet, but I wanted an opinion on this first.

You should talk to your vet A.S.A.P.- this sounds like a side effect of the Keto-C shampoo. If you google side effects of that product (or of Ketoconazole, which is what's IN the shampoo @ 1%), there are some, even for the animals it's intended for. **Also the shampoo contains various "moisturizers" which are formulated for dogs & cats skin, which is very different from snake skin.

**For example, when petroleum-jelly* based ointments (*aka "Vaseline"- as contained in Neosporin & other similar antibacterial ointments made for human use) are used (or over-used) on snakes, snakes can also have problems with flaking & "de-laminating" scales that impact their sheds for quite a while.

Like you, I too would suspect this Keto-C shampoo is not good for snakes, & this makes me question how much "herp" experience your vet has. Or possibly it's the topical medication? And btw, ketoconazole is an anti-FUNGAL medication- not anti-bacterial, & CAN be used topically for a snake with a fungal infection.

Did your vet do lab work to find out exactly what bacteria your snake has? Or did they just take a guess? Medications all have side-effects so on a vulnerable snake, you want to be sure that what is being used is not doing harm, AND that it's the right medication for the condition that needs treated.

What other meds is your snake on currently for this infection. Oral meds, or injectable? And what is the topical?

IF your vet is not regularly treating snakes & similar exotics, you might want to find one that is, IF you're unhappy with the answer you get about this situation. This site may help: > > >
    https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-04-2022 at 02:34 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-04-2022)