Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,563

1 members and 1,562 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

BUILDING MATERIALS - Help!

I made a Redwood tunnel (3 sides wood, 1 side mesh) for my 11 yr old BP snake to move around the house, and outdoors, to a Fir pre-fab catio. After spending thousands of dollars on this project, I found out that soft woods aren't recommended for use with reptiles due to the phenols. So now I'm trying to determine if any non-VOC, animal friendly sealants would work to salvage my project. After using a pet friendly sealant, I am planning on lining the tunnel with corrugated plastic which will prevent the snake for coming into contact with the Redwood itself. Any advice?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trusiemom For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Completely sealing the wood with a water-proof coating (including polyurethane) that is no-VOC* & that dries pet-safe should be all that is needed. *VOC= volatile organic compounds- ie. you want something that does NOT off-gas toxic fumes- one that dries completely should also be odor-free. Incidentally, the fumes (VOC) aren't good for us to breathe either. Read labels carefully- if not clear, ask or find a product with better assurance of pet-safety, & never use until fully dry (goes without saying, lol). (*BTW, you clearly know what VOC stands for, but others reading may not.)

Personally I'd avoid adding the plastic- many of those off-gas too, & might also be "iffy" for constant breathing by confined & delicate creatures, IMO. (I prefer to error on side of caution.) Besides, sealing the wood is all you should need- and with one side being "mesh" you'll have good air-flow anyway.

I hope you'll post pics & keep us updated on this project. I also hope that your BP likes the tunnel as much as you expect her/him to- as most BPs aren't usually all that active, being "ambush predators". Maybe you could add mouse scent along the tunnel though, to "inspire" your snake to hunt? Out of curiosity, how wide is the tunnel?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-03-2022 at 07:51 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-04-2022),nikkubus (07-03-2022),Trusiemom (07-04-2022)

Thanks

Re: BUILDING MATERIALS - Help!

Thanks for your reply Bogertophis. The interior diameter is 3 1/2 inches by 3 1/4 inches. It is attached thru the walls with 3 inch PVC pipe. The tunnel has a hinged bottom for ease of cleaning and it is attached using a French cleat so I can easily remove it from the wall if needed. I am planning on using corrugated plastic to fashion a tray in the tunnel for ease of cleaning. From what I've read, corrugated plastic is pet friendly. I still have a question about off-gassing. In the Fir catio, Truesdail (my BP) will have four chambers with varying temperatures. Do you think the sealed Fir wood will still be safe once the wood is introduced to a heat source?