Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 635

2 members and 633 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Is a Standard 55 Gallon bad for a BP?

Hey folks,

I have a female BP that will need an upgrade in the future. Right now she’s about 20” chilling in a 10 gallon. And I have a 20 gallon setup to move her to when she gets bigger. After the 20 I was going to upgrade her to a 40 Breeder and then a 50/75 PVC enclosure when she is fully grown.

However, I currently have an unused Standard 55 Gallon (48” x 13” x 21”) and was wondering if I could use that instead of buying a new 40.

I was worried that because the tank is so tall and skinny that it might not be the best thing for the snake, but I tend to over think things when it comes to animal husbandry.

Its not a problem for me to purchase a new tank, I just have a Mini Cooper and it’s hard to bring a tank home lol.

Thank you guys,
    P.S. sorry if I messed something up with this post, this is my first time here. My usual source (boyfriend) couldn’t offer council.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    It's not ideal at all for an adult BP & you should know that's coming from one who PREFERS glass tanks. (I'm primarily keeping colubrids & not BPs- but I've kept a number of BPs in the past.)

Your BP, when adult, will be a fairly wide-bodied snake & the narrowness (13") is the main problem. Tanks "can" be made to work for BPs & similar snakes, but most here prefer other types of housing, just because it's easier to retain the humidity & warmth your snake needs. The height & length of that tank would also make that very difficult- a 40 gal. "breeder" tank is a more suitable shape overall for an adult BP, IF you insist on using a glass tank.

You'd be better off going straight to the PVC enclosure you originally planned (once she is larger- well-established- eating well & needing more space)- just make sure there is enough "clutter" (hides etc) so she isn't too fearful (feeling "lost" with a great increase of space).

Short answer: no, sorry -but a good question, & welcome here.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Unfortunately the RedTailBoas forum where I saw this is gone now, but a member there turned a 55-gallon tank on its large side and installed plexiglass drop doors in the opening to create a snake enclosure. It turned out rather well and was modeled after https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...arium-Solution

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-04-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 837 Posts
    I was actually going to suggest trying to mod it into a side open as well. It's a project I want to do on a couple tanks I own as well.

Thanks
    That's actually a good idea, space-wise, but just keep in mind that a 55 gallon glass tank has heavy glass, so I would make sure to support the corners once it's no longer sitting vertical as it was designed to do. If it's like most tanks, it has "molding" at the bottom & top that creates a little space under the corners when it's turned on it's side- I would add something the same thickness on those bottom corners to help balance & support the weight of the glass, so it holds together better.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-02-2022),Homebody (07-04-2022)

Thanks

Re: Is a Standard 55 Gallon bad for a BP?

hey all.
    thank you for the swift replies, really nice to get straight forward answers.
    Placing a 55 on its side would be cool actually. My tank is leaky anyway, which is why it isn’t being used right now. I could take off the “top” 4 foot pane and replace that with that window mesh stuff, and then cut that extra pane down to create a new “front” pane. Sounds like a fun project to try regardless. If I go forward with that I’ll update you guys. I’ve made a teeny tiny 1 gallon out of spare glass and that didn’t turn out so bad.
    again, thanks!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slapp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-03-2022)

Thanks
    Sounds like you've got some good skills. That's a real asset when keeping snakes. Do share if you take this on- we'd love to see it.