Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 887

0 members and 887 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Rat bit ball python while feeding

So got a rat from petco.... very docile, clean, female, a little on the big side of small... however, put it in with my BP and she ate the thing right up........BUT, I couldn't get access to the face of the rat to ensure the rat wasn't biting her. So I patiently waited and as she let go to start swallowing I noticed a gash-ish type mark on her head. It looked worse initially but after swallowing the rat and moving to her warm hide, it looks like it was superficial cuz the mark was closed up and looked like it was "scabbing." Obviously I just fed her so handling her is out the question for the next day or two but should I just monitor her and check for signs of infection? Idk where an exotic vet is around me where I live since I just moved here but if anything what can I do besides monitor. Like how would i keep the area clean. I saw things about antibacterial soap and neosporin without pain killers but I thought soap was dangerous for BP. Anything helps, please and thank you.

Provided best pic I could zoomed in and circling the area in which it is...

humidity is at 60-65
    Ambient warmside is 80
    Ambient cool is 77
    Heat mat stat set to 94 (actual 91 on glass)

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    Vetericyn brand antiseptic ointment for reptiles (available online & in some pet stores- I think Petco carries it?) is the best choice since it's not petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline)-based & thus won't mess up future sheds like Neosporin & other ointments made for humans will. Vetericyn for reptiles is water-based.

Or you can use a saturated Q-tip to dab on diluted Betadine (povidone-iodine is generic name)- dilute it so it looks like weak tea.

If it bleeds, oozes or swells, or fails to heal quickly- find a herp qualified vet for help: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661 It's impossible to tell from an online photo how serious this might be- I'd recommend seeing a vet anyway.

If bites to the snake's face get infected, it can be serious since it's near & may impact the eyes, brain, ability to breath & eat. Rats carry plenty of germs, which is why feeding pre-killed is SO much safer for our snakes, & rats understandably object to being dinner- sooner or later, these injuries happen.

Wild snakes don't have a choice, there's no "room service", but I hope you re-think how you're feeding this snake- vets can get expensive, & our pets look better & live longer without painful injuries.

BTW, while it's best to avoid all unnecessary handling after you feed a snake, that would NOT EVER keep me from providing any first aid necessary, nor from taking the snake to the vet as needed.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-01-2022 at 11:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-02-2022),drmrboy2008 (07-02-2022),Homebody (07-02-2022),nikkubus (07-02-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    By the way, even if you don't like rats & have never known any domestic rats as pets, it's also much kinder to feed your snake humanely pre-killed rodents- besides the safety factor for your snake- please consider it. Rats are personable, intelligent & trainable pets.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-02-2022),drmrboy2008 (07-02-2022),Lizrd_boy (07-02-2022)