Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,107

1 members and 3,106 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    It's been one thing after another this past week and a half.

So, shortly after the last post she went into shed. And me not wanting another repeat of her last shed that went horribly I was extra vigilant with the humidity. The shed went perfectly and I went to check on her, and after holding her for a few minutes she started to drool, a lot. Globs of saliva even. After extensive discussion with other circles over a very obvious RI scare, it was suggested she might have just had a big drink. When I got her out it was less than an hour after she shed and judging on where the shed was and her position at the time, she passed by the water bowl and most likely drank a lot of water so such a suggestion was plausible. Of course I kept a very close eye on her but even after more checkups in the coming days she never did it again, was acting her normal alert, cranky self and ate as always.

Skip to now and I had noticed she was in one of her ground bamboo stalks that she likes to hide in sometimes. Except she had been in there for almost a week which was unlike her since she tends to move around more frequently than that. She wasn't quite stuck and I was able to coax her out with some careful prodding of the handle end of a snake hook, but it was obvious she was packed tightly in there and would inevitably get stuck as she grew. Took both it and the other ground stalk out until I can seal them off like I did for the standing ones.

Hopefully there's no more shenanigans for a while because, ugh... I already am extra paranoid with her just because of her young age and her being my most wanted species, so she isn't doing me any favors.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-11-2023),Homebody (02-11-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    That's how it goes, sometimes. I've had snakes drool on me too after just taking a drink of water- definitely startling until you figure them out, & the longer the snake, the longer the drool.

I'm not sure that she'd actually get stuck in that tube, but it's not very convenient if you cannot get them out when you want & need to- probably best to install a permanent cork in it-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-12-2023)

Thanks

Re: A dream made real, Mira the Vietnamese blue beauty rat snake

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's how it goes, sometimes. I've had snakes drool on me too after just taking a drink of water- definitely startling until you figure them out, & the longer the snake, the longer the drool.

I'm not sure that she'd actually get stuck in that tube, but it's not very convenient if you cannot get them out when you want & need to- probably best to install a permanent cork in it-
    Probably not now, but considering she's not even halfway done growing I can see it as a very real possibility later down the road. Don't want to chance it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-11-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You could try to cut the tube lengthwise and connect the two sides with hinges. Your snake could feel secure, but you'd also be able to remove him if you needed to.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-12-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    You could try to cut the tube lengthwise and connect the two sides with hinges. Your snake could feel secure, but you'd also be able to remove him if you needed to.
    What a creative idea! See, this is why we need a forum with multiple opinions & experience- I sure never would have thought of that-

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-12-2023)

Thanks
    She's getting long.

ngl she had me sweatin'. She was chilly from lying in a cool spot but it didn't take long for her to reach her normal sassy attitude. Genuinely wondering if I should just let her bite me on purpose (not provoke her to do it mind you but kind of just let it happen if that makes sense) so I get used to it while she's still growing and not full size. I don't have the greatest pain tolerance in the world so I do everything I can to prevent bites (keeping her head away unless she's calm enough to slide across my hands/arms), but if it would be better to build up a "tolerance" of sorts then it'd probably be for the best?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2023),EDR (03-07-2023),Homebody (02-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    She's getting long.
    ngl she had me sweatin'. She was chilly from lying in a cool spot but it didn't take long for her to reach her normal sassy attitude. Genuinely wondering if I should just let her bite me on purpose (not provoke her to do it mind you but kind of just let it happen if that makes sense) so I get used to it while she's still growing and not full size. I don't have the greatest pain tolerance in the world so I do everything I can to prevent bites (keeping her head away unless she's calm enough to slide across my hands/arms), but if it would be better to build up a "tolerance" of sorts then it'd probably be for the best?
    Speaking from the perspective of someone who has had a spicy snake or three - most snakes have to reach a pretty high level of stress before they decide that biting is their best option. Personally I'd rather implement some behavioral strategies to eventually reduce fear and habituate the snake rather than just deciding to learn to accept bites.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-28-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Speaking from the perspective of someone who has had a spicy snake or three - most snakes have to reach a pretty high level of stress before they decide that biting is their best option. Personally I'd rather implement some behavioral strategies to eventually reduce fear and habituate the snake rather than just deciding to learn to accept bites.
    ^^^ This exactly. Besides, what if she finds out that you taste good? I prefer to avoid snake bites & I much prefer that my snakes don't feel like they need to defend themselves, so it's a win-win.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (03-01-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023)

Thanks
    A big ol' image dump of the young queen, still as moody as ever.

Hard to get pics where she isn't hanging halfway in the air with how she never stops moving and hates my phone for some reason, but to her credit, despite not being able to handle her for an extended period of time, she didn't bite me during this handling session. Ran all around of the enclosure and musked on me beforehand, but I count my blessings where I can.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-23-2023),Erie_herps (04-23-2023),Homebody (04-24-2023),RedRabbit (04-23-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post

.....to her credit, despite not being able to handle her for an extended period of time, she didn't bite me during this handling session. Ran all around of the enclosure and musked on me beforehand, but I count my blessings where I can.
    And people wonder why we're so fascinated with watching our snakes- that's a really cool shot! (And for some odd reason it made me think of Wavy Gravy? )

As for the lack of bites this trip, I'm thinking she decided to reward you for leaving her alone for so long?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast