Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,683

3 members and 2,680 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Which morphs are most in demand?

What would you say? Which morphs are always in demand and always sell?
    I would guess BEL's, piebalds and bananas never go out of style.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    Clowns are definitely the big thing right now.
    combos like YB and gravel or asphalt are popular
    GHI is a big seller right now
    orange dream not as in demand but up there.

Sunset is picking up speed with a few breeders, will probably become more mainstream in 3 years or so....but not as much as clown did because it's more of a color shifter than a dramatic pattern changer.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 06-27-2022 at 03:03 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (06-27-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    You are correct about BEL and Banana being really popular right now, but they haven't always been. It's seems they have been pretty stable as high demand lately. Piebald isn't nearly as popular as it once was, probably because it got a little bit over-bred.

Agree Clown, YB acts-like-supers, and GHI are also very popular. OD is in the right combos.

Sunset will be when the price comes down a bit more, but it's still a bit too expensive for most people to invest in.

I think besides those already mentioned, some of my top picks would be Red Stripe, Bamboo and Mojave in non-BEL combos, Mahogany, and Blackhead. With the exception of Mojave, none of these have thousands available on the market, so aren't as likely to sit around not selling. With Mojave, it's all about what's in the combo how well it's going to sell, and it does really well in combos with darkening morphs like GHI or Mahogany.

I predict Wookie is really gaining steam as Kinova cranks out more and more awesome looking combos, and would not be surprised if it becomes one of the more popular morphs in the near future.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (06-27-2022)

Thanks

Re: Which morphs are most in demand?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    You are correct about BEL and Banana being really popular right now, but they haven't always been. It's seems they have been pretty stable as high demand lately. Piebald isn't nearly as popular as it once was, probably because it got a little bit over-bred.

Agree Clown, YB acts-like-supers, and GHI are also very popular. OD is in the right combos.

Sunset will be when the price comes down a bit more, but it's still a bit too expensive for most people to invest in.

I think besides those already mentioned, some of my top picks would be Red Stripe, Bamboo and Mojave in non-BEL combos, Mahogany, and Blackhead. With the exception of Mojave, none of these have thousands available on the market, so aren't as likely to sit around not selling. With Mojave, it's all about what's in the combo how well it's going to sell, and it does really well in combos with darkening morphs like GHI or Mahogany.

I predict Wookie is really gaining steam as Kinova cranks out more and more awesome looking combos, and would not be surprised if it becomes one of the more popular morphs in the near future.
    I also love clown it'sy favourite morph, unfortunately too expensive right now for me.
    I have a banana butter male and would maybe possibly try to breed in the far away future. I love banana, BEL's and clown so I would probably want to go with these combos and I would want to make sure beforehand that they sell at least even if it doesn't make much profit. It would be more of a passion project anyways.

Thanks
    If you can find a female with Enchi, something from YB complex, and something from BEL complex, you might have some tough ID's, but should get some really gorgeous colors in the OS. This girl would be a really good option for example https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/965869

If you can't afford a Clown, you probably aren't prepared to breed. Start saving up money. It takes a lot of cash before you make any back. You need to have enough to feed and house mom and dad till they are up to size and age of breeding. You need to have a rack for OS, incubator, and lots of food to feed OS till they sell. It's a large chunk of money. Plus vet funds just in case you have complications. $200 for a Clown is a drop in the bucket, I promise you. No worries though, you should take a long time to plan things out before you get started anyway, so save, save, save.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in almost any pairing, you are going to get at least some Normals or other single morph animals that aren't as popular, and they are going to be tough to sell. If you can't afford to keep them long term, you need to find some wholesaler that is willing to buy them from you, even if it's practically nothing you get from them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Yup! Everything Nikkubus has said.
    I'm actually starting to look into regularly keeping/breeding my own feeder rodents. Just spent 900$ on frozen feeders and that's only for a couple months. If you're planning on breeding you will have to factor feeding prices in no matter what.

I'm just starting my first serious, multi-clutch breeding season next year... And with 20 animals at the moment? That's 1,000 rats if they all manage to eat monthly. I'm going to start with some small tub set ups to counterbalance the frozens until I can work up, guess what? More money to build proper rodent racks....

If you're only planning to breed a couple snakes, you'll need some powerful genetics or a store to wholesale to so you can keep from having slow selling babies. That's dropping money on animals that have multiple allelic or recessives in the pairing. Other wise you will end up with the single genes or normals Nikkubus brought up. For example....
    My first true breeding pair?
    Enchi/special/mojave/pastel/het Orange Ghost... to a Super pastel/butter/spider
    At the very least, every hatchling was special/pastel or mojave/pastel

It's just something that everyone should be aware of before considering what to buy for breeding purchases.
    The other point is... I feel you should love what you're doing. Work with genes that you want to work with and you'll be happier in the long run than working with something purely because it's popular.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (06-28-2022),nikkubus (06-28-2022)

Thanks

If you can find a female with Enchi, something from YB complex, and something from BEL complex, you might have some tough ID's, but should get some really gorgeous colors in the OS. This girl would be a really good option for example https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/965869

If you can't afford a Clown, you probably aren't prepared to breed. Start saving up money. It takes a lot of cash before you make any back. You need to have enough to feed and house mom and dad till they are up to size and age of breeding. You need to have a rack for OS, incubator, and lots of food to feed OS till they sell. It's a large chunk of money. Plus vet funds just in case you have complications. $200 for a Clown is a drop in the bucket, I promise you. No worries though, you should take a long time to plan things out before you get started anyway, so save, save, save.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in almost any pairing, you are going to get at least some Normals or other single morph animals that aren't as popular, and they are going to be tough to sell. If you can't afford to keep them long term, you need to find some wholesaler that is willing to buy them from you, even if it's practically nothing you get from them.

I know xD. That's why I said it's in the far away future and if I try it it's only gonna be a private project not a business at all, so I wanted to know which morphs get sold at least so I wouldn't have to keep them all with me.
    Also I would try to get a clown with more than one gene and an adult at that, so that's why it's a little more expensive.
    Something with clown and a BEL gene would make BEL's and het clowns, so this would be a nice option I think.
    And yes you're right I use the morphmarket calculator and with some combos there are 36+ possible outcomes . So I would very likely search for something that gives only 4 or 8 options. But if I use my banana male It'll be easier to identify all banana babys sexes at least since he is malemaker .
    Last edited by CakeLike; 06-28-2022 at 01:45 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CakeLike For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-28-2022),nikkubus (06-28-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    But if I use my banana male It'll be easier to identify all banana babys sexes at least since he is malemaker .
    There's still a small chance they can throw a female. I think Garrick DeMeyer of Royal Constrictors just hatched 2 females from a male maker iirc XD;

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-28-2022),nikkubus (06-28-2022)

Thanks
    If you were to do single BEL morph (let's just say Mojave for an example) + Clown x your Banana Butter, keep in mind your odds are that not all of those will be easy sales.

Mojave Clown x Banana Butter male maker:
    Male Banana BEL het Clown - easy sell
    Male Banana Butter het Clown - relatively easy sell
    Male Banana Mojave het Clown - relatively easy sell
    Male Banana het Clown - relatively easy sell
    Female BEL het Clown - easy sell
    Female Butter het Clown - tough sell
    Female Mojave het Clown - tough sell
    Female Normal het Clown - near impossible sell
    + very low chance for Banana to crossover and give you any of those of the opposite sex

By using more complex animals with more complex ID's, you have a lot better odds that most will be easy to sell, even if you end up having to sell some for cheaper because you aren't 100% sure on the ID.

On another note, if you put too many different morphs together they can really go overboard and kill off interesting colors and patterns, but with the exception of BEL (which intentionally kills it all off), the morphs I suggested for a mate for him would go really well together without taking too much away. Enchi and YB will really enhance Bananas and bring up the quality of color, especially making them stay nicer colors as they mature. When you combine the right things, it really magnifies the quality of OS from veyr simple morphs.

If you really like Clown, I would highly encourage looking at a lot of combos to see what morphs work very well with it. If you want to make Banana Clowns, Enchi and some YB morph would really put it over the top with screaming oranges.

Some examples:

Enchi Banana Clowns

Banana YB Clowns:

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (06-28-2022),Bogertophis (06-28-2022),Homebody (06-28-2022)

Thanks

If you were to do single BEL morph (let's just say Mojave for an example) + Clown x your Banana Butter, keep in mind your odds are that not all of those will be easy sales.

Mojave Clown x Banana Butter male maker:
    Male Banana BEL het Clown - easy sell
    Male Banana Butter het Clown - relatively easy sell
    Male Banana Mojave het Clown - relatively easy sell
    Male Banana het Clown - relatively easy sell
    Female BEL het Clown - easy sell
    Female Butter het Clown - tough sell
    Female Mojave het Clown - tough sell
    Female Normal het Clown - near impossible sell
    + very low chance for Banana to crossover and give you any of those of the opposite sex

By using more complex animals with more complex ID's, you have a lot better odds that most will be easy to sell, even if you end up having to sell some for cheaper because you aren't 100% sure on the ID.

On another note, if you put too many different morphs together they can really go overboard and kill off interesting colors and patterns, but with the exception of BEL (which intentionally kills it all off), the morphs I suggested for a mate for him would go really well together without taking too much away. Enchi and YB will really enhance Bananas and bring up the quality of color, especially making them stay nicer colors as they mature. When you combine the right things, it really magnifies the quality of OS from veyr simple morphs.

If you really like Clown, I would highly encourage looking at a lot of combos to see what morphs work very well with it. If you want to make Banana Clowns, Enchi and some YB morph would really put it over the top with screaming oranges.

Some examples:

Enchi Banana Clowns

Banana YB Clowns:

Very beautiful snakes, Thanks for the information.
    I assumed a snake with het clown would still be able to get sold even if the visable morph is not the best one to sell since you get a cheap snake that can produce clowns.
    With normals it's tough of course but I notice still many people have normals for pets. Maybe they don't care much about what they get when they start looking into snakes or just want something cheap. But still they deserve a nice home as well and I would do my best for them.
    I have also played around with the calculator a bit and found some combos that don't give out any normals.
    But for now I have gathered a lot of information already thanks

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeLike For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (06-28-2022)