Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,941

0 members and 2,941 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Help! Tiny little bump on ball python spine!

Hi guys! So my ball python just shed and I was cleaning her enclosure after she pooed and when I got her out I felt a tiny bump on her "spine" as I was holding her. it is really small and you can't see it you have to feel it really. Pictures wont help even if I could send them. It feels hard not squishy and it is really small but it is definitely there. I am worried this is something under the skin I should worry about. I don't know what it could be since it is hard but I just don't want it to get bigger and be a problem later. Please let me know your thoughts and if this is at all normal. I tend to overreact and freak out so I wanted to get more expert opinions. Thanks all!

(It is about 4 inches behind her head on her spine)

Thanks

Re: Help! Tiny little bump on ball python spine!

Could it be a harmless kink? I don't know if that is something they can just develop but it doesn't seem to bother her when I touch or press it.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Pictures might help.

Sometimes, between shedding cycles, one of mine will make a little bump like almost a couple extra scales bunched up under each other. It doesn't seem to bother them and after a shed cycle or two I can't find them again. But this one is also my rescue burned snake. I don't know if maybe his body is still trying to repair the belly scars and just accidently puts a few extra scales on his spine.... or he's also my shyest boy, so he likes to wedge himself up in a log hide really tight.... so maybe it just as to do with the pressure points since it's always along the spine.

Obviously, keep an eye out for anything your baby may be rubbing up against. The most important thing for now is to monitor it. If anything weird happens, make your vet appointment. This can be any type of growth past where it is now, any fluid discharge, or if it sloughs off and leave an large wound. As a heads up, snakes don't form a liquid pus like we do, it gets to a thick enough point that it doesn't discharge and just encapsulates. If it does become much larger, you may need a vet to drain it or it becomes like a cyst.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-24-2022)

Thanks

Re: Help! Tiny little bump on ball python spine!

ok, thank you! I will keep an eye on it.