Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,094

1 members and 2,093 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Upgrade Questions

Hi all - new here!

I'm upgrading my BP from a glass tank to a 4x2x2 wood Reptihomes enclosure. Someone in the neighborhood was selling one lightly used and in great shape, and I got it for a good deal. My BP's current setup includes a CHE with a dimmer and an UTH with a thermostat. The 4x2x2 I picked up came with a light and what appears to be a radiant heat panel (picture of the disassembled ceiling attached).

So, some questions. I apologize if these are commonly asked. She's my first reptile and I did a whole butt load of research on her current glass tank setup before getting her, and this upgrade is happening in a time of the year that I'm super busy. I would love some input from experienced keepers directly instead of doing hurried research and getting things wrong.

The light - if I keep it, I plan to keep it off for the majority of the time. I think it would be convenient lighting when I need to clean the cage. I know my BP is going to try to climb it sooner or later though. Is it better to just remove the light entirely, or find a way to cage it so she can't wedge herself in between the mount and the bulb? Any easy safe way to do this?

The radiant heat panel - I'm not at all familiar with these, to be honest. I assume it works since the seller didn't say it needed to be replaced, but I'll be test running everything before my BP gets added. Will have a thermostat of course. Is this a reliable way of heating the whole tank or are other supplemental heat sources needed? Where is the ideal thermostat probe placement?

The vents - there are two of them, one on each end. I plan to just leave them as is for now and see how the humidity holds up when I test run the whole cage for a few days without my BP in it. I suspect it will be too much ventilation to retain humidity well, though, and I might have to cover them up somehow. I'm sure I can figure this out on my own, but if you have a particular recommendation for partially or fully covering them if need be, I'm all ears.

Otherwise, I plan to seal the inside edges where the panels meet and get things rolling. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Re: Upgrade Questions

Quote Originally Posted by April1199 View Post
    Is it better to just remove the light entirely, or find a way to cage it so she can't wedge herself in between the mount and the bulb? Any easy safe way to do this?

Is this a reliable way of heating the whole tank or are other supplemental heat sources needed? Where is the ideal thermostat probe placement?

The vents - if you have a particular recommendation for partially or fully covering them if need be, I'm all ears.

That looks like a pro heat 80 watt radiant heat panel. If I'm right, it will be more that sufficient to heat your enclosure. I would change the orientation to run from front to back. I'm concerned that, the way it's currently oriented, you won't have enough of a heat gradient. My probe sits on a fake plant 2-3" below the panel. My set up's a 3x2x2 plywood build. If you want to have a look at it, you can check it out here.

I would lose the light. If you want light, LEDs are cheap, efficient, and easy to install. They look better too.

As for the vents, I think you should plan on filling them. I can't see them in this picture, but expanding foam should take care of it.
    Last edited by Homebody; 06-20-2022 at 09:32 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I can't see them in this picture, but expanding foam should take care of it.
    Oh! I see them now. Rather than expanding foam, I would replace those vents with pieces of aluminum flashing.

Thanks

Thank you so much!

Just measured the heat panel and it's half an inch too long to be rotated 90 degrees. I'll ditch the light. Actually, I just realized I can use it for another non-reptile-related project so it works out great. And yes, sorry about that, I initially intended to post a picture of the vents too but got distracted learning the weird format of this website. I'll go ahead and replace them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by April1199 View Post
    Just measured the heat panel and it's half an inch too long to be rotated 90 degrees.
    I knew it would be close. Oh, well. That orientation worked for the last guy that had it, so maybe it'll work for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by Homebody; 06-20-2022 at 10:01 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

April1199 (06-20-2022)