Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,173

1 members and 3,172 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Breeding Contract

As some of you already know, we have entered into a breeding contract with Eugene (gncz73) a longtime member of this forum. Eugene was kind enough to offer us the use of his graziani line male pastel to be bred to both Brannagh and Orlah this season as both of our girls are more than big enough to breed but we have no appropriate sized male for them.

Both females are currently with Eugene as he readies them for breeding to his male. I miss them but Mike and I are so excited about this opportunity! It does feel wierd to walk into the snake room and not see them in their tubs but I know Eugene will care for them well and we'll hopefully be announcing news of eggs in the incubator at some future date!

Thanks again Eugene! I'm sending "make us some pretty pastel babies" vibes down your way LOL.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Breeding Contract

I have wondered about breeding contracts and "stud" services...how do they work? I breed racehorses, and am familiar with breeding dogs, but not snakes....yet.
    1.0 BP; Sir Hiss (I have a cartoon problem)
    0.1 Blizzard Corn; Princess Fiona (Gaelic=white, fair)
    4.0 Yellow Labs; Drake, Goose, Mojo, Buddy
    1.1 Scarlet Macaws; Ace, Duece
    3.0 American Bison; Death, Danny, Bambi
    10.10 Race Horses (number changes a lot)

Thanks

You didn't try talking Eugene in to putting them with his mojave? ha ha....j/k

If you don't mind me asking, what kinda details have you guys worked out concerning offspring, etc.? I like to hear how peoples' decisions are made with loans so that if I ever enter into one I can know how to handle it.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    You didn't try talking Eugene in to putting them with his mojave? ha ha....j/k

If you don't mind me asking, what kinda details have you guys worked out concerning offspring, etc.? I like to hear how peoples' decisions are made with loans so that if I ever enter into one I can know how to handle it.
    Thats a good question Daniel, I too am curious about that and if they are willing to share the details I would love this info.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Congrats Jo! I think the breeding loan when done with 2 reputable parties sounds like a win/win situation as long as all the details are worked out. As long as it is not an invasion of your privacy, could you detail some of the points in the contract? Thanks and best of luck. Hope the BP gods are smiling on you and your future Pastel babies!

J

Thanks

We do have a written contract as that's just good business sense and it does cover all aspects that were suggested to us by breeders as well as just common sense things we agreed to ourselves. I tried to draft a contract that protected everyone involved and was fair to both sides as I feel that's how any contract should be. It covers all aspects of the care of our females while away from home, as well as the steps of quarantine, cooling, breeding, egg laying, hatching, etc.

The two clutches when they hatch will be treated as one group. Eugene as the owner of the male morph will have first pick, then Mike and I and so forth until all hatchlings are chosen (basically a 50/50 split with any one extra going to Eugene). We all felt that was the most fair way to do it.

I know Eugene doesn't mind me posting some of the details of this contract as we all felt it would be a learning experience for ourselves and perhaps others.

Again, just as a learning curve thing - entering into breeding contracts can be a risky proposition and not something to take on lightly. We talked with Eugene for many months and sought advice of well experienced breeders before making this decision. In my mind, both sides may gain but also could lose if any of the snakes are ill or not well cared for or whatever. On the upside though it is a way for some of us just starting out folks to widen our genetic pool or have access to morphs we can't all own.

I think it comes down to common sense and never jumping into anything to do with snakes that you haven't thought over the pros and cons for and treating it as professionally as you can.

Hope that helps.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

LOL just caught that mojave comment...don't I wish!

I should have mentioned in my previous post that actually I wrote it into the contract that we would discuss some of the details in this forum as I wanted to not only share it with our forum friends but also help some of us learn together as Mike, myself and Eugene work through this first contract.

Some of the other details are things like expectations of the health of all snakes involved, timelines on when to retreive our females, view eggs, hatch and final disposition of the offspring. Photographic evidence of all stages and steps of the process was suggested to us and is included in the contract. In the unlikely event something goes wrong, how are the parties involved going to address it both fairly and professionally (no one wants to think something will go wrong but you have to be sensible about that).

It ended up being about 3 pages long and in the end we were all quite happy with it I think. I couldn't find an example online so hopefully I did okay with it LOL.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Sounds like you covered all the details! Again, best of luck! I am excited for you!

Jamie

Thanks

i also feel that we cover as much as can be covered in a contract. and am hopping to give jo and mike the good news soon.

and if the mojave was a little bigger i would have offered.
    0.1 spider het ghost 1.1 het ghost 1.1 het pied
    0.1 spider ball python 1.0 het red
    2.0 pastel 1.0 mojave 1.0 Lesser
    1.0 het clown 0.22 normals
    1.0 boxer 0.0.1 red foot

Thanks

Just curious, how old are the 6 females you currently have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast