Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

2 members and 3,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Dumeril's feeding problems - round two

I know he's not eating well but couldn't you feed him a couple day old chicks so the day old chicks weigh the same as what his normal meal should be? I know feeding multiple prey items isn't ideal but it could help you get to a more "normal" feeding schedule with him. I've never experienced this picky of an eater before so if my advice is way off then don't mind me. I'm more just curious if this snake would take multiple prey items in one feeding session.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (06-17-2022),Homebody (06-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    That's been part of the struggle. While the feeding schedule you mention is what I use with my Tarahumaras and my other Dumeril's, this little guy has not been eating normal meals. At least from my perspective, one or two day-old quail chicks are hardly a meal when the other Dum who is just a few days different in hatch date is eating rodents or quail that are many times larger and has grown at a normal (slow) rate, while this snake has remained pretty small. His body condition is OK but not ideal.

Once it became clear that he was refusing everything other than day-old quail I started feeding him weekly just to get some calories into him. Occasionally I would wait 2-3 weeks and then offer a week old quail or a rat pup in the hope that he'd go ahead and take them, but he'd turn away from them.

If I can get him to take the reptilinks a couple more times, I will go back to a normal Boa feeding schedule.

I mean, feel free to tell me if I seem to be messing up here; I won't be defensive about it. This has been a tough situation and I am constantly second-guessing myself.
    No I don't think you're messing up, I just wanted to ensure you're not offering so often that he just isn't hungry.

Attaching one type of feeder to another like you've been doing to switch a picky eater does work. I converted an adult female retic from jumbo rats (8-10 per meal is $$$!!) to rabbits that way.

Another option besides rats is rabbits, if you can find a local breeder willing to save the stillborn kits for you to at least try. Rabbit kits are small and might tempt him into eating if he's turning his nose up at rats.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-17-2022),Caitlin (06-17-2022),Homebody (06-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    I know he's not eating well but couldn't you feed him a couple day old chicks so the day old chicks weigh the same as what his normal meal should be? I know feeding multiple prey items isn't ideal but it could help you get to a more "normal" feeding schedule with him. I've never experienced this picky of an eater before so if my advice is way off then don't mind me. I'm more just curious if this snake would take multiple prey items in one feeding session.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I should have made that clearer. I have been giving him multiple day old chicks - he will take 2-3 of those but they are really tiny little things so it's still far from a good meal!

I do target training with almost all of my snakes and am actually comfortable with offering multiple feeders as reinforcement items. With a snake who is eating normally, I use 2-3 smaller target rewards that together would comprise the weight of one feeder in a typical meal.

With this guy of course it's just been a matter of getting him to take whatever I can get him to eat.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    No I don't think you're messing up, I just wanted to ensure you're not offering so often that he just isn't hungry.

Attaching one type of feeder to another like you've been doing to switch a picky eater does work. I converted an adult female retic from jumbo rats (8-10 per meal is $$$!!) to rabbits that way.

Another option besides rats is rabbits, if you can find a local breeder willing to save the stillborn kits for you to at least try. Rabbit kits are small and might tempt him into eating if he's turning his nose up at rats.
    Thanks! I will check my local Craigslist for rabbit breeders; kits would be a nice option. Keeping my fingers crossed that the attachment method helps get him onto a normal feeding routine. I am going to keep him on a weekly schedule (assuming he eats like this) for maybe a month just to get his nutritional status stabilized a bit, then shift him to a regular Boa feeding schedule.

I shudder at the thought of 8-10 jumbo rats per meal. That's an expensive retic, lol
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'