Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,636

0 members and 2,636 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Lifespans

Thanks

Lifespans

i have been trying to do research into anacondas and determine what is there genetic maximum re: lifespan - you know, what is the absolute longest that you could realistically keep 1 alive in captivity as i am v disappointed that they live significantly shorter lives than other big snakes in both the boa family, and, python family but it’s got me thinking: are these reported maximum lifespans of 10-15 years (“rarely 20 years”) a genetic default or is it something else?

to explain: in arachnid keeping there was a period in which a family of Caribbean tree tarantulas was considered a “master level” species because no one could seem to nail down their husbandry - it produced a phenomena known as “SADS” or “Sudden Avic Death Syndrome” which wasn’t an actual illness but moreso were a series of premature deaths caused by improper husbandry - further exacerbating this of course are illnesses associated with WC specimens

could the same be said of anacondas today 🤔 could their documented lifespan ranges in captivity be a result of improper husbandry and if this were to improve somehow could we extend their lifespans to something comparable to other large snakes?
    het for nothing but groovy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2022)

Thanks
    not that i’m poo-pooing people’s husbandry I’ve just noticed that a lot of care videos, guides, etc mention common mistakes when keeping them: too wet, too humid, too stagnant, etc which really really remind me of how people were keeping A. avicularia, C. versicolor, etc
    het for nothing but groovy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,570 Times in 2,984 Posts
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...onda_Longevity

I still rely on real text. This is a good source for information regarding a variety of species.
    https://press.princeton.edu/books/pa...s-of-the-world

Another recommended book. This one is a tougher read. It is very science based and the language used in the writing reflects that. Even if you are not familiar with the terminology throughout the book, I still think it is a valuable resource.
    https://www.nhbs.com/biology-of-the-...d-pythons-book

Research on the internet is easy, but you have to dig a little for specifics. There are a great many hard copy resources available that are written by field biologists.

If you are strictly into web based searches, you will want to enter "field study" or "case study" in front of your search. If you don't, often times you'll be taken to general information or care sheet information advice.

There are a number of variables surrounding wild vs captive longevity.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-16-2022),Caitlin (06-16-2022),EL-Ziggy (06-16-2022),Homebody (06-16-2022),YungRasputin (06-18-2022)