Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,194

0 members and 1,194 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Aggressive red tail boa

Yesterday after handling my red tail she got struck in the back end of the tail by a cat she went inside the cage and then turned around and struck. That same day she struck two other times she also has stuck shed how do I go about getting her back on track with being docile? And when I'm about to handle her again I won't have any more cats in the bedroom. I would like to help her get that stuff shut off first but if she's not going to let me can't do nothing about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Re: Aggressive red tail boa

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted350z View Post
    Yesterday after handling my red tail she got struck in the back end of the tail by a cat she went inside the cage and then turned around and struck. That same day she struck two other times she also has stuck shed how do I go about getting her back on track with being docile? And when I'm about to handle her again I won't have any more cats in the bedroom. I would like to help her get that stuff shut off first but if she's not going to let me can't do nothing about it.
    How old and large is your boa? Do you know if the cat injured it? If it isn't injured, I'd leave it alone until it calmed down, at least a week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Your snake had a really traumatizing experience, as you know - so she's going to be scared and jumpy for awhile.

Obviously keeping the cat away is a priority.

I think your best approach is to take things very slow and easy with her. Treat her as though she's a brand new addition in your home. Don't force handling on her. Hang out quietly near the enclosure - you can pull up a chair and just sit and read or be on your phone while you are near her. Be patient. It may take her a few weeks to decide you are not a threat.

Once she is calm while you are nearby, you can try opening the enclosure. Don't try to pick her up; just stand nearby and maybe rest your flattened hand inside the enclosure so she can approach and check you out if she chooses to.

As far as stuck shed, you can put a humidity hide in her enclosure (a tupperware container with damp sphagnum moss inside). That plus adequate humidity and making sure she always has fresh, clean water available should help. Given her recent experience I wouldn't try any hands-on approach for the stuck shed at the moment.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (06-14-2022),Bogertophis (06-13-2022),Homebody (06-13-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I agree with Caitlin's post above, & would also like to take issue with the thread title. Why is it that when snakes are under attack, or feel as if they are, they are called "aggressive"? They're DEFENDING themselves- and I can't think of anyone or anything that wouldn't react the same way, myself included, after being attacked by a cat.

Remember that our pet snakes are actually wild animals first- they rely on their instincts but most learn (through repeated association with our gentle handling) to trust us. A careless accident with the cat has damaged that trust, so it will take time to regain that. Snakes have their own personality- so no one can say how long it will take for your snake to relax & allow handling as they did before. Just be patient & low-key.

Snakes are most defensive about their necks & tails, as those are the most vulnerable & most often grabbed by predators. So when you get back to handling this snake, don't just make a quick grab to assist with the tail shed. You want to gently touch & handle the snake's whole body first- I find that most snakes remember our touch rather well & will relax- in fact, our snakes know us mostly by our scent & touch- they don't rely on vision, the way we do. Obviously you'll need to pay attention to the snake's response & take your cue as to how fast to progress.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (06-14-2022),Caitlin (06-13-2022),GoingPostal (06-14-2022),Homebody (06-13-2022),richardhind1972 (06-13-2022)

Thanks
    Just a reminder- no matter how different from us snakes appear to be, like most of us, they really just want to feel SAFE. So keep that in mind when handling your boa again- help her to understand, by the way you touch her, that she is safe with you & that you're the same person she knew (& felt safe with) before. Words mean nothing to our pet snakes- put your words into your hands when you touch her- and I think she'll remember you. Make sure that no cats are ever in that room again- hold up your end of the bargain- provide that safety so your boa can relax.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (06-14-2022),Caitlin (06-13-2022),Spicey (06-14-2022)

Thanks
    i would say they need to a) get the stuck shed taken care of asaps and b) be worked with while giving them space, finding that balance - the trust was broken, so it has to be reforged
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks

Re: Aggressive red tail boa

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i would say they need to a) get the stuck shed taken care of asaps and b) be worked with while giving them space, finding that balance - the trust was broken, so it has to be reforged
    The stuck shed would be a priority for me as well, & oddly enough, I've helped plenty of snakes with sheds (over many years) & they always seem to understand -somehow- that I'm helping them.

They don't appreciate me butting in initially, but once they realize their shed is coming off, they get more cooperative. I actually find the process helps to build some trust. It must be weird to be a "pet snake"- with wild instincts & pesky people in their faces so often. Since the cat-attack was clearly not the snake's fault, if I were this snake's human, I'd be feeling responsible for allowing it happen, & making every effort to put everything right with the snake. They didn't ask to be captive- so it's up to us to meet their needs, even when it's challenging.

But again, you have to re-acquaint them with being touched in a friendly manner, don't just make a dive for their tail tip!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (06-15-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 835 Posts
    You don't mention what caused her to strike the other two times. Were the cats nearby outside of her cage and she struck the glass? Or was this you by yourself trying to take her out?
    Really dislike labeling the snake as aggressive when she's one of two things. Defensive or HUNGRY

My other concern I don't see mentioned is how dangerous even putting the animals in this situation is.
    You don't mention the size of your Red tail, If she's a grown girl she can easily do a lot of damage to your cat. A warm fuzzy thing that darted up to her.
    Also the opposite is true in you cat can really do some damage to your snake.

You cannot keep other curious animals nearby while handling snakes alone. It's very difficult to safely keep an 8 ft snake in one hand and shoo the cat away with the other. Someone can still get injured and it could absolutely be you as the middleman.

Take this as a learning experience. I hope your Red tail warms back up to you as her keeper.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 06-14-2022 at 05:41 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-14-2022)