Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,720

2 members and 2,718 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Cutting an iguana's nails

I have noticed lately that our iguana's nails are very sharp and pointy. When he crawls on you it is like being @@@@@ed by little needles. Not really painful, but you know he has nails. How and when should we clip them? I will say he lets us touch his feet and mess with his toes.(for lack of a better term)

Thanks in advance!!!!
    3 horses Pressive, Willie and Sparkle

4 Hounds Buttons, Elliott, Levi and Dozer
    1 cat Sasha
    1 iguana, Elvis

Golf courses .... a waste of valuable pasture land

Thanks

Re: Cutting an iguana's nails

Hm.. well I would clip them as they get long and pointy again! If he gets squirmy for the nail trimming you may need to wrap him in a towel and pull one foot out at a time to clip.

I have a lot of experience trimming dog nails (I'm a groomer) but I don't know if the quick in an iguana nail will look the same as a doggy nail. Ig nails are black, so you can't see the quick through the side. What you do is clip just a little bit until you see a black dot in the middle of the nail.. that is the beginning of the quick, and don't cut anymore lest you make him bleed. If you do make him bleed, just have some normal flour ready and take a pinch and press it on the bleeding nail. It will help bleeding stop.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Elvis is not very big, his nails are smaller or a small as a sewing needle in diameter. I thought maybe I would just nip the tips off. I too, have done dog nails. I was just wondering if it was okay to do it or if he is to small?

Thanks!!

1 cat Sasha
    1 iguana, Elvis

Thanks

It will be much better for you and him if you start him early doing his nails and letting him know that it doesn't hurt. That way, later on in life when he is 6 feet long and very strong, trimming his nails won't be a hassle.

It would be like trimming bird nails, just clip the sharp tips off. Keeping them short will prevent the quick from growing too far down the nail, which will prevent you from cutting his nails much at all. Clipping them early in life and sticking to it will help out alot. Also, putting something rough in his cage that he has to climb up, such as a baked tree branch with rough bark or something similar will help keep his nails filed down.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    It will be much better for you and him if you start him early doing his nails and letting him know that it doesn't hurt. That way, later on in life when he is 6 feet long and very strong, trimming his nails won't be a hassle.

It would be like trimming bird nails, just clip the sharp tips off. Keeping them short will prevent the quick from growing too far down the nail, which will prevent you from cutting his nails much at all. Clipping them early in life and sticking to it will help out alot. Also, putting something rough in his cage that he has to climb up, such as a baked tree branch with rough bark or something similar will help keep his nails filed down.
    Thanks, do they make iguana nail clippers? I didn't think to ask at the pet shop for clippers and I was just there this week. He has a branch in his cage, but it isn't very rough.

1 cat Sasha
    1 iguana, Elvis

Thanks

You could probably use the same clippers that you would on a cat or bird. I think they're pretty much the same thing. I've never seen reptile clippers before.

EDIT: Apparently, I lie. Here's a link, though there's no pic: trimmers specifically for reptiles at LLLReptile

Thanks

My Reckless is 6ft,,and with attitude it takes some real effort , as she had...aside from other obvious signs of abuse, never been properly groomed or cared for but... she's coming around, we use dog clippers, not often as she gets traumatized or maybe thats me...lol anyway DO NOT CUT TOO FAR BACK>>>just the very point or its easy to overdo...problems. Have someone help you also. EM
    Last edited by wild4reptilz; 01-02-2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: misspelled, sorry