Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

1 members and 2,826 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Prey Drowning In Big Snakes

could be a fluke but was curious given my last feeding - so this involves feeding my scrub and i did everything that i normally do mind you but tonight’s feeding was a little odd and had me thinking; do big constricting snakes intentionally drown prey? because usually our routine is v simple, i put the head of the mouse near the entrance of their den, they smack it, and pull it into their lair - this time however it really seemed like they made an intentional effort to extend themselves and push their head/the prey into the swimming pool i have set up for them - didn’t seem accidental at all because the way the enclosure is set up, they would have to make the effort to do this; would’ve been more natural to take the prey inside their den or atleast at the entrance of the den so I’m curious

note: i exclusively feed f/t prey - so there’s never a real need to “kill” the prey item
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 06-08-2022 at 04:45 AM.
    het for nothing but groovy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-08-2022)

Thanks
    follow up additional question: is there any safety or medical concerns involving this for my snake? like this wouldn’t lead to respiratory illnesses would it?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I don't think it's intentional. I've had snakes wrap up prey and end up in their water bowls before. They should be fine. Just do a water/bowl change quickly afterward.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-08-2022),Alicia (06-08-2022),Bogertophis (06-08-2022),EL-Ziggy (06-08-2022),Homebody (06-08-2022)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    A lot of my snakes seem to eat in the water bowl, maybe they are cleaning off the meal or adding some moisture to their diet lol. All I know is it's very messy.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-08-2022),Bogertophis (06-08-2022),Homebody (06-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I've had snakes occasionally end up in their water bowls with prey too- just accidental- they're so focused on the (already dead) prey, it's just where their wrestling match ended up.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-08-2022),EL-Ziggy (06-08-2022),Homebody (06-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Prey Drowning In Big Snakes

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    could be a fluke but was curious given my last feeding - so this involves feeding my scrub and i did everything that i normally do mind you but tonight’s feeding was a little odd and had me thinking; do big constricting snakes intentionally drown prey? because usually our routine is v simple, i put the head of the mouse near the entrance of their den, they smack it, and pull it into their lair - this time however it really seemed like they made an intentional effort to extend themselves and push their head/the prey into the swimming pool i have set up for them - didn’t seem accidental at all because the way the enclosure is set up, they would have to make the effort to do this; would’ve been more natural to take the prey inside their den or atleast at the entrance of the den so I’m curious

note: i exclusively feed f/t prey - so there’s never a real need to “kill” the prey item
    While all the incidents I've observed appear coincidental, I'm not keeping any "BIG" snakes, & the more I thought about it, I think it's entirely possible that some species that evolved near water may intentionally use this method to help subdue their prey. As I recall, crocodiles are known for pulling prey underwater, & that gives them an advantage, so I don't doubt your observation. It still could just be a "one-off" though- time will tell & if you see this happen repeatedly, be sure to update us.

It very well could be instinctive, & even when snakes are fed only dead prey, they still mostly act according to instincts. (For example, rattlesnakes fed only dead prey long-term still bite their prey to envenomate it, even though it's not needed.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-08-2022 at 01:07 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-08-2022),Homebody (06-08-2022)

Thanks
    additional info i feel maybe is relevant: the pool they submerged their prey in specifically their soaking/swimming pool that they use to soak, etc in that’s separate from the water bowl they use for hydration - also, they weren’t submerged for the entire time of eating, it was kind of like, they took the mouse, extended themselves so as to submerge themselves then once they had secured the head and “dispatched” the mouse, and began the eating process, then they came back above the water’s surface - it seemed v much at the time to be an intentional act, not accidental like when my red tail boa caught her prey near pool and accidentally hit the water, she just kind of dunked a little but when realizing she got wet recoiled to dry land

as it stands this is the only time i have seen them do this so rightfully i don’t think any definitive conclusions could be drawn from this but it does have me curious and i was hoping to do more research into their wild behavior today pertaining to this - Merauke appears to be a coastal area which probably has water ways leading into the ocean so perhaps it’s a wild behavior? will definitely keep everyone posted if this becomes a pattern
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 06-08-2022 at 02:13 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-08-2022),Homebody (06-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    The enclosures for my retics, burm, etc. are large enough that prey goes in the door on the opposite side of the enclosure as the water bowl. It's usually the tub-kept snakes that are dunkers as their bowls are up at the front of the tub.

Thanks
    update: it happened again only this time it was much more obvious - so, i do everything i do normally, and i opened the enclosure, did the little mouse dance and once he grabbed and coiled it i shut the enclosure - what took place there after is super weird

so i sit on my bed and stay still to make sure all the pythons eat - thought my scrub was already well under way with eating but when i looked at him, he was standing over the body furiously looking around

he then picked up the body and *slammed* it in the pool head first and then held it there for some time with an upper body coil - v much looking like he wanted to drown the prey item

eventually, he lets go and i was thinking, “damn, a failed feeding, better go get a bag and dispose of it” - nope, we weren’t finished yet - i grabbed a bag, smoked a cig and went back into my room and he was just standing over the pool with the “drowned rat” in it like a bulldog, snapping if i tried to take it away - i decided to let him have it and reassess in the morning (feeding was at 2A)

wake up to find no drowned rat and him happily soaking in his pool lol this has gone from what i thought was a fluke to something much weird and darker
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 06-15-2022 at 10:14 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2022),Homebody (06-15-2022)

Thanks
    note: he was fed last, in a pitch black room, that had no noise or commotion - his weird behavior almost has no reason i feel - the feeding (where he initially grabbed the head and coiled it) also took place on the other side of his enclosure so this was v much an intentional act on his part, no doubt about that this time
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 06-15-2022 at 10:19 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-15-2022),Homebody (06-15-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast