Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,258

0 members and 1,258 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Patternless Traits

not necessarily about BP’s specifically but thought this might be a generalized question but if a patternless male mates with a patternless female, both from the same specific locality, would the resulting clutch be comprised of all patternless babies? likewise, if a patternless male mates with a patterned female, again, of the same locality, would that result in a mixed clutch or…?
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    It really depends on the underlying genetics of what is causing it. Generally speaking, more often than not, yes or at least close to it. If incomplete dominants are involved, it's very possible to have patternless caused by that, each parent has one copy of the gene causing it, but then 25% of the offspring would not get at least one copy and then be wild type. If two completely different morphs are involved, each offspring could end up het for both but have no visual effect.

In BP's specifically, most the morphs off the top of my head that take away all the pattern are the super form of an incomplete dominant that require two copies to appear patternless, so all offspring would be patternless so long as it's the same morph. But If you bred an Ivory to a blue eyed lucy, all the offspring would usually have pattern.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2022),YungRasputin (06-07-2022)

Thanks

Re: Patternless Traits

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    It really depends on the underlying genetics of what is causing it. Generally speaking, more often than not, yes or at least close to it. If incomplete dominants are involved, it's very possible to have patternless caused by that, each parent has one copy of the gene causing it, but then 25% of the offspring would not get at least one copy and then be wild type. If two completely different morphs are involved, each offspring could end up het for both but have no visual effect.

In BP's specifically, most the morphs off the top of my head that take away all the pattern are the super form of an incomplete dominant that require two copies to appear patternless, so all offspring would be patternless so long as it's the same morph. But If you bred an Ivory to a blue eyed lucy, all the offspring would usually have pattern.
    well to give more information because idk how much is true for all snakes and how of this might be species specific but the information i have rn is: patternless coloration in scrub pythons is a naturally occurring morph that doesn’t have any relation to hobby morphs insomuch as the phenomena is not the result of selective breeding by hobbyists - i have a patternless Southern/Merauke male and was wondering what would take place if i bred them with patterned and patternless Southern/Merauke females
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Hmm. I wonder if anyone with a lot of scrub experience knows if it's a simple recessive. That would be my guess, in which case all OS should be patternless. I know there are a few guys on here that keep scrubs and might have an answer.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-08-2022),Homebody (06-08-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Patternless Traits

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    scrub experience knows if it's a simple recessive.
    To the best of my knowledge it is recessive. That said, there are a handful of different scrub species so it may not hold true for all of them. Also, there are some animals that are not so much patternless as their pattern has simply faded away as they aged
    actagggcagtgatatcctagcattgatggtacatggcaaattaacctcatgat

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asplundii For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-08-2022),nikkubus (06-08-2022)