Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,915

0 members and 2,915 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hallo!

Thanks

Re: Hallo!

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    It sounds like cool ball python alternative people should consider.
    absolutely - especially for people who are new to terraculture and struggle with keeping higher humidity levels, not so good with maintaining median temp ranges, and things of this nature - they’re super hardy desert snakes that can tolerate a massive temp range going from 120F all the way down to 32F

and they’re less picky about eating than ball pythons as well - just little garbage disposals in my experience

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2022),Homebody (06-04-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I sure don't envy them when feeding time comes- in fact, there's at least 2 times that co-habbed snakes are a problem: when you're feeding them, & when it all comes back out. But this was a show about making dreams come true, not about dealing with every issue. I can't imagine cleaning all the nooks & crannies they created with all the fake rocks- they really need a shift-cage for clean-outs, but as I recall they put drains in the floor so it could be hosed out. It's worth a look. It's like you see in a good zoological display. I just hope people watching don't get the idea that co-habbing snakes is a good idea- they barely touched on that, & I was listening for it.
    that’s what i was curious about tbh - i just always assumed that snakes, much like arachnids, are cannibals and that communal enclosures are just asking for problems unless you’re like breeding or something

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    that’s what i was curious about tbh - i just always assumed that snakes, much like arachnids, are cannibals and that communal enclosures are just asking for problems unless you’re like breeding or something
    It's a risk, for sure. Even with well-fed snakes, of the SAME species. I once put a pair of rat snakes together for breeding. The female had produced before, the male was a first-time breeder & he seemed interested. (Neither one was "wearing rat cologne" either, from a previous meal.) Everything looked normal- I watched for a while, but after I left the room for a short time, I came back to find the male had killed the female & was trying to eat her! Rat snakes do not normally prey on other snakes AND both were well-fed. To say I was upset is an understatement.

In that episode of Animal Cribs, their snakes were not matching sizes, that's for sure, & no genders were mentioned. Just a risk the owner accepted I guess- since not being able to provide more than one deluxe enclosure. Live & learn? He'd gotten away with co-habbing those snakes for years, so he wasn't about to change- I just wish the issue had been made more clear to novice snake-keepers viewing the program, that it's a bad idea to co-hab.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-04-2022),YungRasputin (06-06-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12