Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,058

1 members and 3,057 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallo!

Thanks

Hallo!

originally from Germany but currently live in US - relatively newish keeper with a small collection, and simply put i’m into real big snakes and am looking forward to networking with and learning from everyone here - moving forward, i’m looking into anacondas and retics

my collection:
    -“Kali,” BCC, wild/normal type, captive female
    -“Irwin,” S. amesthistina, wild/normal type, captive male (Southern - Merauke)
    -“Lilith,” P. regius, wild/normal type, captive female
    -“Mandume,” P. anchietae, wild/normal type, captive male
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 06-04-2022 at 07:43 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (06-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Hallo!

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    originally from Germany but currently live in US - relatively newish keeper with a small collection, and simply put i’m into real big snakes and am looking forward to networking with and learning from everyone here - looking forward, i’m looking into anacondas and retics

my collection:
    -“Kali,” BCC, wild/normal type, captive female
    -“Irwin,” S. amesthistina, wild/normal type, captive male (Southern - Merauke)
    -“Lilith,” P. regius, wild/normal type, captive female
    -“Mandume,” P. anchietae, wild/normal type, captive male
    Very cool. I know what a BCC and a P. regius are, but I had to look up S. amesthistina and P. anchietae. Scrub and Angolan. Again, very cool. Please post pics. We love pics. If you don't know how, see this thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by Homebody; 06-04-2022 at 07:54 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (06-04-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Very cool. I know what a BCC and a P. regius are, but I had to look up S. amesthistina and P. anchietae. Scrub and Angolan. Again, very cool. Please post pics. We love pics. If you don't know how, see this thread. Thanks.
    i have the safari/mobile version of this Forum, i tried posting to the member pic sub forum and it’s processing rn but will do!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    We have some active members here with some big snakes- I hope your posts will stir them up so we can get some updates from them too.

I just watched an episode of "Animal Cribs" on Animal Planet yesterday- they did an amazing dream-come-true "enclosure" (major home modification) for a guy (a firefighter) & his 2 son that have 4 big snakes, all rescues that they've had for years- the largest is a 200 lb. 20 footer. The only thing was, the snakes are vastly different sizes (2 are boas) and they're all housed together, always have been since he's taken them in, which is far from ideal. Anyway, it was interesting to say the least. It was a major build in their basement & the snakes obviously were very happy with it. As are the 3 guys who no longer have to carry the 200 lb. snake upstairs to use the jacuzzi tub...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (06-05-2022),YungRasputin (06-04-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    We have some active members here with some big snakes- I hope your posts will stir them up so we can get some updates from them too.

I just watched an episode of "Animal Cribs" on Animal Planet yesterday- they did an amazing dream-come-true "enclosure" (major home modification) for a guy (a firefighter) & his 2 son that have 4 big snakes, all rescues that they've had for years- the largest is a 200 lb. 20 footer. The only thing was, the snakes are vastly different sizes (2 are boas) and they're all housed together, always have been since he's taken them in, which is far from ideal. Anyway, it was interesting to say the least. It was a major build in their basement & the snakes obviously were very happy with it. As are the 3 guys who no longer have to carry the 200 lb. snake upstairs to use the jacuzzi tub...
    that’s super cool! i’ll def have to check that out! always interested in seeing how people create habitats for the giants 😁 and that’s what i think is so neat about green anacondas (and anacondas in general really) is the absolute challenge of creating a paludarium for such a massive animal

10. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2022)

Thanks
    The trouble with these shows is they never say what it cost to do- this build must have been astronomical. I mean the snakes had 2 adjoining rooms connected by a cave, with a pool & waterfall... it was beautiful, that's for sure. But if you're into building- they showed details of what went into this.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-04-2022 at 11:40 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    just noticed these edits and ja it’s a big shame that scrubs aren’t more widely known about outside of Australian reptile circles because they’re truly amazing and imo, a really solid option for people who want to get into big snakes but aren’t into powerlifting like me lol they are super slim comparative to the other big snakes - only thing is, they can be real feisty and their fangs are on par with emerald tree boas but in my experience if you work with them a whole lot, they can be just as tame as BCC’s; just super inquisitive and active and always wants to explore

i understand why Angolans aren’t super common in the hobby because their habitat in Southern Angola/North Namibia is hostile in its own right and strewn with land mines but like with scrubs they’re super cool and super docile - extremely close in relation to P. regius/ball pythons but with several distinct differences, both physically and temperamentally - almost like a scrub python brain in a ball python body covered in beaded scales like a gila monster

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2022),Homebody (06-04-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The trouble with these shows is they never say what it cost to do- this build must have been astronomical. I mean the snakes had 2 adjoining rooms connected by a cave, with a pool & waterfall... it was beautiful, that's for sure. But if you're into building- they showed details of what went into this.
    i could only imagine! that and the water bill 🤣

16. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i understand why Angolans aren’t super common in the hobby because their habitat in Southern Angola/North Namibia is hostile in its own right and strewn with land mines but like with scrubs they’re super cool and super docile - extremely close in relation to P. regius/ball pythons but with several distinct differences, both physically and temperamentally - almost like a scrub python brain in a ball python body covered in beaded scales like a gila monster
    It sounds like cool ball python alternative people should consider.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I sure don't envy them when feeding time comes- in fact, there's at least 2 times that co-habbed snakes are a problem: when you're feeding them, & when it all comes back out. But this was a show about making dreams come true, not about dealing with every issue. I can't imagine cleaning all the nooks & crannies they created with all the fake rocks- they really need a shift-cage for clean-outs, but as I recall they put drains in the floor so it could be hosed out. It's worth a look. It's like you see in a good zoological display. I just hope people watching don't get the idea that co-habbing snakes is a good idea- they barely touched on that, & I was listening for it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-04-2022),YungRasputin (06-04-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast