Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,596

2 members and 1,594 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Cleaning products

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...asan_reply.jpg

Yep, this topic comes up in multiple earlier threads, and the Nolvasan quote above is from a 2011 post when BP.net members discussed this issue and contacted manufacturers, like Nolvasan, to get answers on chlorhex efficacy and shelf life once diluted with tap water or distilled water.

I came on this forum in 2008 when I was introduced to reptile rescue and rehab by a vet tech friend, and spoke to several breeders on this site as well as my own reptile-only veterinarian (I was new to reptiles and really annoying with questions) about the best disinfectants for me. I chose chlorhex for my particular situation. I ended up doing a little animal rescue, too, so I had no problem going through a gallon in a year's time.

Mileage may vary, of course. I'm one to err on the side of caution, so I mix up new batches of solution for my spray bottle every couple of weeks.

Great discussion though (cleaners vs. disinfectants, etc.) Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread... very informative!
    Last edited by starfire; 05-26-2022 at 02:25 PM. Reason: image posted thumb only..duh
    --Star

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starfire For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-26-2022),Homebody (05-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starfire View Post
    https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil...asan_reply.jpg

Yep, this topic comes up in multiple earlier threads, and the Nolvasan quote above is from a 2011 post when BP.net members discussed this issue and contacted manufacturers, like Nolvasan, to get answers on chlorhex efficacy and shelf life once diluted with tap water or distilled water.

I came on this forum in 2008 when I was introduced to reptile rescue and rehab by a vet tech friend, and spoke to several breeders on this site as well as my own reptile-only veterinarian (I was new to reptiles and really annoying with questions) about the best disinfectants for me. I chose chlorhex for my particular situation. I ended up doing a little animal rescue, too, so I had no problem going through a gallon in a year's time...
    Thanks starfire, for finding that clip- it brings up something I wanted to mention earlier- that is, the reason behind not having the diluted solution sitting around more than a week or two.

Our tap water, while safe to drink, is not perfectly devoid of contaminants, & it's those tiny contaminants that weaken the effectiveness of products like chlorhexidine, Nolvasan, F-10, or even bleach, just as it does when you spray a "dirty" enclosure & think you're killing all the germs that way- you're not. All disinfectants work best in the absence of all contamination (fecal & other biological materials), so for the best possible disinfection by the product of your choice, don't mix up so much solution that you cannot use it up in a week or two.

And that's why, in the above clip for Nolvason, they say the solution can be stored longer (for up to six weeks) if the water used to make the solution was purified by deionization or an equivalent method. (That's their subtle, scientific way of reminding us that tap water isn't as perfectly clean as we'd like to think, lol.)

And btw, @ Homebody: I used to use Nolvasan, so that's one place I remember reading this, but similar notes are found on other products too, even the generic ones, or should be.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-26-2022),starfire (05-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And btw, @ Homebody: I used to use Nolvasan, so that's one place I remember reading this, but similar notes are found on other products too, even the generic ones, or should be.
    Color me convinced. That old batch is going straight down the toilet. Perfect timing too. Cleaning day is this Saturday.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Color me convinced. That old batch is going straight down the toilet. Perfect timing too. Cleaning day is this Saturday.
    You can still use it to wipe out the grunge (maybe put in a drop or 2 of dish soap to help clean), but just have a smaller fresh batch for the disinfection part.

As long as you can tell them apart- & you have an extra spray bottle.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-26-2022 at 07:02 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-26-2022)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123