Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,708

0 members and 2,708 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Please help!

Thanks

Please help!

Last April I was involved in a head on motorcycle truck accident unfortunately I was out action due to it. My wife was "taking care" of my reptiles while I was down. Well I'm finally up and at em again. I go in my reptile room to find brown spots on my albino that are a little crusty mainly along the back and sides, I also notice the latest mouse had nibbled a bit. My concern is the brown spots not so much the nips as they didn't break the skin fully. I currently have him soaking in some reptiesafe warm water. Unfortunately not sure how to link pics here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Albinosulfur View Post
    Unfortunately not sure how to link pics here
    We love pics. This thread gives instructions on how to post them: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    Along with the photos(snake and habitat may be best) a couple of questions to get things out of the way and hopefully get a better idea.
    -Did anything change in the habitat while you were down? Or are there any areas in the habitat that your snake may have been able to wedge into and self injure?
    -Are the temperatures correct? Nothing to hot in there? Or is it cold and the snake possibly tried to go somewhere warmer and got injured?
    -Is the bedding clean? Is it damp or overly humid in the enclosure?

Most likely scenario is these are all rodent bites. Especially if your wife was just leaving them in with the snake unattended. For the moment and as long as the wounds just seem like a shallow one:
    Definitely put your snake on paper towels in the meantime to avoid debris and such getting in the wounds. Keep it clean.
    Reptisafe warm water will help with rinsing the debris away, but you should also look into something like chlorhexidine or provo-iodine for soaks. I like to give my animals a small soak in normal water to make sure they'll drink what they want before adding the other stuff in.
    A small dab of regular antibiotic ointment on the wound can help between soaks, but make sure it is only a small dab on the wound only and that it does not include painkillers.

If your snake seems overly painful, if the area becomes swollen, if there's any type of white chunky discharge or anything that seems like a worsening issue, please bring your snake to a vet immediately.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-29-2022),Bogertophis (05-23-2022),Homebody (05-23-2022)