Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,949

0 members and 2,949 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

How are you guys attaching your heat panels to the tops of your pvc cages?

My first cage/snake I got "used" was an Animal Plastics and a Pro Products rhp. The cage had a nice hexagonal hole in the top that the nut set down into and the bolt threaded into it from the inside, holding the heat panel up against the top of the cage and everything looks really nice and flush. My second cage/snake I got new and installed the heat panel myself. I went to the hardware store and bought a tee nut and hammered it down a little so the teeth on it would bite into the pvc, and then I threaded the bolt in from the inside until it held the panel up against the top of the cage and then cut off the excess. It's pretty much flush, but not as nice looking at the other one I got. Now, I'm on a 3rd one and about to install another Pro Products rhp onto the top. I asked on a local snake forum and the girl that builds the cages I buy said a 1.5" wood screw and leave a gap and not to mount it flush up against the top. With both of my previous ones being flush and having no issues (been running them that way for quite a while) I am curious why she recommends leaving a gap. She is a breeder and has tons of experience, but I wanted to ask you guys for multiple opinions. I have asked her but still awaiting a response.

Also, what ways are you guys attaching them? I don't mind using a wood screw, but the mounting holes on these rhps are so small, I wouldn't imagine they'd make a wood screw small enough to fit through that while still providing enough bite to hold the panel in place, but I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: How are you guys attaching your heat panels to the tops of your pvc cages?

For what it's worth, I used wood screws to mount my 80 watt VE RHP to the top of my plywood enclosure. I did not leave a gap. It's been working fine for 18 months.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt300zxt View Post
    ...I am curious why she recommends leaving a gap...
    I'd assume the tiny* gap recommended is for safety- to avoid overheating the pvc with excessive & near-constant heat. Plastics break down over time (dry out- get brittle) from heat. Sounds like a good idea to me- though I don't use this type of heat panel, so please take advice from those who do.

To be clear- *my definition of a "tiny gap" would be 1 mm or less- nothing a snake would get stuck in. Since we're hearing about someone else's advice to leave a gap, it would be best to check that source- this is the first mention I can recall of anyone leaving a gap of any kind. I was only trying to answer the OP's question as to why anyone would recommend leaving a gap. And one person's "gap" is another person's chasm.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-19-2022 at 10:03 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Do not leave a gap. That’s a great way to get a snake stuck and cooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...uild-and-Specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-19-2022)