Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,929

2 members and 2,927 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Egg question

Thanks

Egg question

So far this season I have 2 clutches in the incubator, 2 moms who are going to lay in the next month, and 2 more who are just starting to build follicles. The eggs I have in the incubator have been great, they are just about half way through incubation. When I came home to check on the eggs in the incubator I noticed one has started to dimple. Humidity and temps are both fine (I know this because I have a sensor push in that egg box). Has anyone experienced any eggs starting to dimple half way through incubation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks

Re: Egg question

It’s not dimpled a lot. I was just wondering if it was any cause for concern?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Not much you can do about it, if the temps. & humidity is okay- I've hatched snake eggs (just not BPs) & personally, I wouldn't worry a lot- especially if it candles good. Even perfect-looking eggs can fail at any time, & that's just part of raising herps- some don't make it. But I wouldn't count out an egg for a little dimple either. And by the way, that's a "yes"- eggs may sometimes start to change, dimple, whatever, @ midway. And some turn out fine, & some don't.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-17-2022 at 10:55 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-18-2022),nikkubus (05-18-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Not much you can do about it, if the temps. & humidity is okay- I've hatched snake eggs (just not BPs) & personally, I wouldn't worry a lot- especially if it candles good. Even perfect-looking eggs can fail at any time, & that's just part of raising herps- some don't make it. But I wouldn't count out an egg for a little dimple either. And by the way, that's a "yes"- eggs may sometimes start to change, dimple, whatever, @ midway. And some turn out fine, & some don't.
    Makes sense. It is “nature” and even in perfect conditions things happen. It was just odd to me that it was the only egg that is dimpling, they’ve been in there since April 26th so 3 weeks. I haven’t candled it and I’m probably not going to unless it gets worse. I try to leave the eggs alone as much as I can once they’re in the box

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    Makes sense. It is “nature” and even in perfect conditions things happen. It was just odd to me that it was the only egg that is dimpling, they’ve been in there since April 26th so 3 weeks. I haven’t candled it and I’m probably not going to unless it gets worse. I try to leave the eggs alone as much as I can once they’re in the box

I'm a "candler" -I don't pick them up to do that, just leave them in place, & take the container into a dark room (or closet) & use a little narrow flashlight- minor imperfections outside don't mean much when the inside is nice & red. With any luck, it's fine.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Yeah they look fine for this point. Sometimes dimpling can be a sign of slightly too much water dripping on them, so maybe take precautions to make sure that isn't happening before mold starts, but you should be okay.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2022),Homebody (05-18-2022),Snow Balls (05-18-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Yeah they look fine for this point. Sometimes dimpling can be a sign of slightly too much water dripping on them, so maybe take precautions to make sure that isn't happening before mold starts, but you should be okay.
    No water dripping on this one, all the condensation is over the back 1/2 of the eggs. I’ll continue to monitor it