Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

1 members and 2,896 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Ball Python won't strike but will still eat

Hello! So I recently switched my almost two-year old BP to F/T rats a few weeks ago, and everything seemed to be going well. However, two weeks ago, she would not strike at the rat at all. I tried to re-heat it up in a ziploc bag in warm water but she still would not strike. I eventually just left it in her tank and when I went to check, she had eaten it. She was going into shed last week to I held off on feeding her just to make sure that the shed went smoothly, as well as to possibly get her appetite up, but the same thing happened when I tried to feed her earlier today, no striking, but when left she did eat it.

Both times she has shown interest in the rat, getting close to it and "tasting" it with her tongue, but then she just retreats without striking. I'm not super worried since she is still eating, but is this something that I should be worried about?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    Nope, I wouldn't worry about it. Be GLAD she's taking f/t- it's much safer, & give her credit for knowing it poses no threat & just eating it. You may enjoy seeing her strike her food, but personally it's all about the snake eating for me. Some snakes just appear to be happy to be done with "combat" & eat in peace. Don't worry about it as long as she's eating- she's smart enough not to fall for your tricks, lol.

BTW, we usually call this type of snake a "drop-feeder". Translation: just "slide my food tray under the door & go away, don't bug me while I eat."
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-12-2022 at 10:14 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-12-2022),AutumnVanilla (05-13-2022),EL-Ziggy (05-15-2022),Erie_herps (05-13-2022),Homebody (05-13-2022),Spicey (05-13-2022)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python won't strike but will still eat

Oh perfect, glad that its not a problem!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nucl34r_Fr06 View Post
    Hello! So I recently switched my almost two-year old BP to F/T rats a few weeks ago, and everything seemed to be going well. However, two weeks ago, she would not strike at the rat at all. I tried to re-heat it up in a ziploc bag in warm water but she still would not strike. I eventually just left it in her tank and when I went to check, she had eaten it. She was going into shed last week to I held off on feeding her just to make sure that the shed went smoothly, as well as to possibly get her appetite up, but the same thing happened when I tried to feed her earlier today, no striking, but when left she did eat it.

Both times she has shown interest in the rat, getting close to it and "tasting" it with her tongue, but then she just retreats without striking. I'm not super worried since she is still eating, but is this something that I should be worried about?
    I had the same experience with my bp. Initially, he struck at his food, but very soon he became a drop feeder. I took his lack of enthusiasm as commentary on my food preparation skills, but Boger's probably right. Some snakes are just smart enough to distinguish live from dead prey and act accordingly.

Oh! And I love your username. Very clever.
    Last edited by Homebody; 05-13-2022 at 08:53 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2022),Erie_herps (05-13-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Are the mice WARM ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro