Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

2 members and 3,117 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

So surprised new pet

Hey guys,
    I work at an animal shelter and typically we only deal with cats and dogs but somehow a frog came here. Since no one at the shelter knows anything about frogs, I decided to adopt it. I believe it's an albino African clawed frog. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks for taking care of my new friend. She came in filthy tank water and it was very low. I kept the old water in and added some fresh dechlorinated water. I did this slowly so as to not shock her. Also what are some things I should be looking for to make sure she's healthy? Also her tank is pretty gross looking, how often can I do small water changes so I can get the water to clear up. I looked online on how to sex them and since she doesn't have dark arms and has a bump near her butt, I'm pretty sure she's female.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2022),Homebody (05-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Never tried keeping any frogs or toads- I always enjoy finding them (native species) outside, but that's where they stay. And of course, an African clawed frog is not releasable (a huge no-no) but as far as their care- I'd have to look it up just as I'm sure you're doing now. Cool though- not many things don't fascinate me. Do update us?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: So surprised new pet

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Never tried keeping any frogs or toads- I always enjoy finding them (native species) outside, but that's where they stay. And of course, an African clawed frog is not releasable (a huge no-no) but as far as their care- I'd have to look it up just as I'm sure you're doing now. Cool though- not many things don't fascinate me. Do update us?
    Yeah I'm definitely doing a lot of research. Checking multiple places and all that. I used to help take care of toads in highschool but those came out of water so it's definitely a different experience. I have some fish experience so I'm using that knowledge to help with the water parameters I have been finding online. I definitely will update you guys. Once the water is clearer I'll try to take some pictures of her too but I don't think the camera will even be able to find her right now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I was just looking at this site out of curiosity, & I had no idea they could live 20-30 years! I haven't compared their info to other sources, but on the surface, it seems pretty reliable.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/africa...an-clawed-frog
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

So far she's doing pretty well. I got to watch her eat which is great and her tank has clear up a lot by just running the filter. It's still brown looking but you can at least see where she is in the tank. I've been researching more and more about this species so next paycheck she'll definitely be getting some different decor and a couple upgrades but I figure she's been living in this for a while so I'll probably go slowly in introducing new things. I definitely want to start with getting her cover and I think I'm gonna change the substrate since what I've been reading says gravel is bad for them.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2022),Homebody (05-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    Looks like the Creature from the Black Lagoon.