Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,817

0 members and 2,817 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This sucks guys

Thanks

This sucks guys

Ugh, I am so defeated yet again. I got two new ball pythons at the March Tinley show after losing my pinstripe girl the week before Christmas. After losing her I vowed I didn't want another BP. But after a few weeks I decided to do a payment plan for pickup. I have been having difficulty getting them to feed. I finally got the female to eat when I offered live. But the male pied was so scared of the mice, even though the breeder was feeding them live. I tried all the tricks and tips along with feeding tips. He just seemed so stressed out. The passed week or so I noticed he was seemly pretty weak. Also had sort of a weird head tilt. (Not spider wobble or star gazing behavior). I have a bee morph, I know what the wobble looks like. This morning he was found, with his head upside down. But the body was sort of twisted and contourted. Like he had some sort of a seizure. I feel so defeated and heartbroken yet again. My vet didn't seem to think he should have died or lost that much weight this quickly. Was going to maybe do a necropsy but my Dad was pissed off (he went in and helped me pay for him) and already put him in the freezer. The vet won't do a necropsy on a frozen animal. I just feel so terrible for him. Like I failed another little snake. It hurts and sucks. Poor little guy.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),EL-Ziggy (05-10-2022)

Thanks

Re: This sucks guys

RIP handsome fellow. I am sorry.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Bogertophis (05-07-2022),EL-Ziggy (05-10-2022),Homebody (05-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm so sorry for your loss- this should not have happened, & I doubt there was anything you could have done to prevent his death, nor is it likely that you did anything to have caused it. Sounds like just rotten luck for this poor soul, & for you- he was quite handsome too. Hugs

A necropsy sure would have been a good idea though- it sounds like he was sick & I hope he was quarantined from any other snakes you have?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-06-2022 at 07:30 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Armiyana (05-07-2022),dakski (05-08-2022),EL-Ziggy (05-10-2022),JJpeep (05-06-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    I'm sorry for your loss. it's never easy loosing a little one.

I'm familiar with the breeder he was purchased from. I actually have purchased a few animals directly, not picked up from a show though.

It's odd to suddenly have symptoms like that appear so suddenly. I also hope they were properly quarantined from any other animals, but I would also double check around or inside the enclosure as well for anything that seems off. Anything like a possible malfunction in the heating equipment for example. We're there any strange stools noted? Or possibly any chemicals used around the enclosure?

There's so many things that could have happened from parasites to congenital issues to environmental problems. It's tough to say without a necropsy.

Obviously, make sure to sterilize or despise of anything properly. I would also keep good notes on your other pickups or animals just in case.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Bogertophis (05-07-2022),dakski (05-08-2022)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. We checked around the enclosure. All that jazz. I actually talked with the breeder and he graciously offered up another animal. He is a very nice guy and explained a few things to me. He said unfortunately things like this for happened from time to time with baby snakes. He said as long as everything was set up properly for the snake and things like that he doesn't have any ideas as to why he would have died. The other snake I bought with this guy seems fine. Quarantine measures were taken. We disposed of everything in his enclosure. I am wondering if he had something wrong with him individually. Like a defect or something.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Bogertophis (05-09-2022)

Thanks
    The breeder sounds like a good guy, & I agree- this can just "happen"- aka "failure to thrive" or defect or ??? Did you accept a replacement snake?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-09-2022)

Thanks

I'm kind of scared to, also feel a bit bad about it. I didn't want to seem like I was hinting toward a new one. He just straight up said, hey I have one more pin pied male I would like to send you who is 100% het albino. I really would like to try again. But I am nervous since this happened to me twice already. Maybe I am just one of those 'lucky' ones. I'll give you an update on what I decide. I'm going to talk to the breeder a little more.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-09-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    That's really awesome. Especially given the amount of time that's passed.
    I personally stuck with that breeder a while because the animals always looked great and they communicate well. I did also have an issue with shipping and they went above and beyond.

Snakes are great at hiding what's wrong with them. There definitely can be congenital problems that we miss because they are so good at appearing healthy. If there isn't an outward sign of an issue like a kink or bug eyes for example, all we can do is assume the animal is healthy if it's acting well. And sometimes something big like a move to a new owner is enough to stress them out as younglings to cause the failure to thrive situation, which sounds a bit like part of the problem here.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Bogertophis (05-09-2022)

Thanks
    I understand why you'd feel that way- and only you can make this decision as to what feels right for you. Losses are painful, for sure.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    That's really awesome. Especially given the amount of time that's passed.
    I personally stuck with that breeder a while because the animals always looked great and they communicate well. I did also have an issue with shipping and they went above and beyond.

Snakes are great at hiding what's wrong with them. There definitely can be congenital problems that we miss because they are so good at appearing healthy. If there isn't an outward sign of an issue like a kink or bug eyes for example, all we can do is assume the animal is healthy if it's acting well. And sometimes something big like a move to a new owner is enough to stress them out as younglings to cause the failure to thrive situation, which sounds a bit like part of the problem here.
    He was very helpful when I was picking out this particular pair as well. I am pretty new to the ball python world. Only about a year in. He gave me suggestions on genetics based on what I wanted to produce. Even suggested that if I paired certain
    Genetics up the 'worst' I could get was double hets. Reason I went with him as well is his videos are more information and seems more down to earth. I like some of the more entertaining you tubers. But for buying, I wanted to go with him. Also had lots and lots of good reviews. Through the whole process the communication was top notch. Was so apologetic because he didn't get back to be in a day and all that. I feel comfortable and I don't feel like he knew anything was wrong with the snake or anything like that. So I unfortunately feel like there may have been something wrong with the poor guy. I know I didn't get him to eat, but I didn't get the female to eat either til last week and she didn't go downhill so quickly. Also a thing happens at the show. He sexed the snakes I was supposed to get and the pied I had picked out originally over the internet ended up being female. He apologized and had me pick out a snake. For some reason I picked the little guy who passed away. He was the tiniest out of the snakes. I even seconded guessed my decision a few times because of his size. But I liked his colors and I liked that he was spunky. But I have a feeling the spunkiness was a big stress signal. I know BPs can be shy. But he was very snappy at first and hissed alot. Which is fine. But I noticed over time he stopped all that cuz it didn't work and he would try and hide as good as he can
    My thoughts are that he may have had congenital issues (maybe) and the move ended up being way too stressful for him and something ended up giving away in this poor little dude. It can't be easy going from a big breeding facility to a show then a home with new noises, new everything. Despite having lost the little angel, the breeder has made me more comfortable in the process. He told me this new guy is bigger and is eating very well. So that has me feeling a lot better. I'd like to thank all of you on here as well for supporting me and understanding my worries and problems and giving me advice. It is tough for me sometimes. I get very involved when an animal is sick and when I don't save one it hits me. I know if I want to get into breeding I have to toughen up a little. But I can't help my compassion when it comes to animals that look to us to care for them. I feel especially bad when an animal is afraid and sick. I just hope this little snake wasn't too scared out of his wits of me and that is what made him give out. I guess this new guy is arriving tomorrow morning. Worries me it is going to be hot, but the breeder assured me it is perfect for him. So fingers crossed. We are only a state away as well.
    Last edited by JJpeep; 05-10-2022 at 10:04 AM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-10-2022),AutumnVanilla (05-10-2022),Bogertophis (05-10-2022),Erie_herps (05-10-2022)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast