Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,901

3 members and 2,898 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This sucks guys

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    I think the fact that you do worry and care is what will make you better as a breeder.

Yes, things happen that can be out of our control. But when one of your top priorities is the health and wellbeing of your animals, that's important. Sometimes sadly the best options aren't ones we want to think about. So while you do say toughen up, still keep that empathy that you show here too.

Ās an aside...I had a discussion with a breeder who's incubator busted midway through a couple clutches. A few of the hatchlings across 6 clutches had kinks. Most were very minor. One was a gorgeous little albino gal. Hers were worse, but she still got out of her egg and had her first shed. Even managed her first meal. But we both agreed that even though she seemed like she may be 'okay' now, the risks of her ovulating and throwing slugs as an adult would be a painful death sentence.
    You will need to make these hard decisions. But you'll be making them with the best intentions.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (05-10-2022),Bogertophis (05-10-2022),Erie_herps (05-10-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: This sucks guys

Quote Originally Posted by JJpeep View Post
    ...But I have a feeling the spunkiness was a big stress signal. I know BPs can be shy. But he was very snappy at first and hissed alot. Which is fine. But I noticed over time he stopped all that cuz it didn't work and he would try and hide as good as he can...
    My thoughts are that he may have had congenital issues (maybe) and the move ended up being way too stressful for him and something ended up giving away in this poor little dude....
    That "spunkiness" may have been internal pain instead, or, the stress of everything may have predisposed him to pick up something contagious at the show, & because he wasn't eating & was the smallest (perhaps weaker?), may not have been able to fight it off. You'll never know, but just that it "happens" sometimes.

Many more snakes survive in captivity than they do in the wild- nature makes shorter work of those with inherent weaknesses, whereas in captivity, the optimal conditions we provide them helps some survive that otherwise would not have. I don't think this breeder was to blame either- not every thing is in the control of the breeder. I'm really glad you're moving forward with another one. Things in life do go wrong sometimes- all we can do is the best we can- it doesn't seem there were any "mistakes" here to learn from- just bad luck. Wishing you MUCH better luck going forward.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-10-2022),AutumnVanilla (05-10-2022),Homebody (05-10-2022)

Thanks

Thank you. I feel that your comments help me move forward. In the past I hid my grief when something animal wise made me so sad. But I feel the older I get, I find I do need to let it out. It helps you work through it better, at least for me. I will definitely keep the empathy, but I do agree making decisions to help the animal along, like putting them down in situations you mentioned is the best for them as well. I would totally be prepared to do so. I wouldn't want to see an animal in pain. That is always tough. Thanks for listening to me vent and helping me along with words.

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    I think the fact that you do worry and care is what will make you better as a breeder.

Yes, things happen that can be out of our control. But when one of your top priorities is the health and wellbeing of your animals, that's important. Sometimes sadly the best options aren't ones we want to think about. So while you do say toughen up, still keep that empathy that you show here too.

Ās an aside...I had a discussion with a breeder who's incubator busted midway through a couple clutches. A few of the hatchlings across 6 clutches had kinks. Most were very minor. One was a gorgeous little albino gal. Hers were worse, but she still got out of her egg and had her first shed. Even managed her first meal. But we both agreed that even though she seemed like she may be 'okay' now, the risks of her ovulating and throwing slugs as an adult would be a painful death sentence.
    You will need to make these hard decisions. But you'll be making them with the best intentions.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (05-11-2022),Bogertophis (05-11-2022),Erie_herps (05-11-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That "spunkiness" may have been internal pain instead, or, the stress of everything may have predisposed him to pick up something contagious at the show, & because he wasn't eating & was the smallest (perhaps weaker?), may not have been able to fight it off. You'll never know, but just that it "happens" sometimes.

Many more snakes survive in captivity than they do in the wild- nature makes shorter work of those with inherent weaknesses, whereas in captivity, the optimal conditions we provide them helps some survive that otherwise would not have. I don't think this breeder was to blame either- not every thing is in the control of the breeder. I'm really glad you're moving forward with another one. Things in life do go wrong sometimes- all we can do is the best we can- it doesn't seem there were any "mistakes" here to learn from- just bad luck. Wishing you MUCH better luck going forward.
    Thanks again for helping me along in another unfortunate event. I actually tend to agree with you. The more I think about it. The more I believe him being so defensive had some sort of a sign something was wrong attached to it. I don't believe the breeder knew at all something was wrong. I don't blame him one bit. I actually find him very gracious. I talked to him yesterday and he felt that sending another snake was warranted, because he early gets people having one of his snakes die on him. So he believes there was something congenital too that just got passed everyone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (05-11-2022)

Thanks

The new male pin pied het albino arrived at 10:20 on the dot. He is very pretty and looks good. Nice and chubby and healthy looking. I plan on taking pictures of him. But I want to have him settle in his new surroundings and have him eat a meal before any pictures are taken this time. Maybe I will snap a candid one when I am giving him fresh water. But no fancy photoshoot just yet😉

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Armiyana (05-11-2022),AutumnVanilla (05-11-2022),Bogertophis (10-05-2022),Erie_herps (05-11-2022)

Thanks

I just remembered that I never shared a photo of the replacement pied that the breeder graciously offered me. Here he is.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),blisterbeetle (10-05-2022),Bogertophis (10-05-2022),Homebody (10-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Hey, very nice- he's got really rich coloration against that snowy white, plus a few very distinct little dots- making it easy to tell him apart from others. I like that his tail tip has color too. How's he doing?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022)

Thanks

He is doing pretty good. Refused a few meals recently. But keeping his weight consistent. He shed shortly after this picture was taken. He is a bit shy but that is okay. I like his cool spots too. The breeder said he was a higher white than most pin pieds. I wasn't too concerned about the high/low white aspects, I am sure other people have a preference. I think pieds are just cool all together.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Bogertophis (10-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Great pick up and congrats. I get the feeling you should consider triple checking your enclosure, the heating and humidity you are providing for the reptile. You may have to tweak a few things?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

You think so? Curious as to why you would say that. Do you think I am doing something wrong and that is why my other snake passed? Genuinely concerned now. Thanks for the comment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast