Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,497

1 members and 2,496 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

What is max ambient temperature?

I have almost finished with my new enclosure but the last thing that bugs me is the temperatures.
    I get almost perfect temperatures inside the warm and cool hides.
    But I use a CHE and the ambient temperature gets pretty hot right under there.

Cool hide ambient: 77-79
    Warm hide ambient: 85
    Slate rock for hot spot: 91 -95

Ambient air temp right next to CHE: 88 -90

I would have liked to have the warm hide a little warmer but it's not possible without raising ambient temps too high.
    Also I am worried about the hot ambient temps around the CHE.
    Is it bad or acceptable when the snake spents the whole day inside the hides and the temps drop at night?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,177 Posts

Re: What is max ambient temperature?

Please post a picture of your current set up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-05-2022)

Thanks

The ambient temperatures look fine to me, but if the "slate rock" is a heated rock, please remove that from the enclosure immediately - heated rocks are extremely dangerous for snakes and they should never be able to come in direct contact with any heating elements. 95F is also way too high for a warm/basking spot, aim for 86-90F for the warmest spot in the enclosure.

Having an ambient temperature gradient is totally fine, some people use RHPs with no underbelly heat so the snake gets the warmth from the ambient temperature being at around 90F on the warm end.

Also, just to confirm - how are you measuring the temperatures, and are you regulating every individual heating element with a thermostat? You should have a digital thermometer to measure the ambient temperatures, a infrared gun to measure surface temperatures/underbelly heat, and a thermostat for regulating every heating element.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    ...Slate rock for hot spot: 91 -95 ....
    Please clarify, is this a "hot rock" (electrical heat embedded in a commercially-sold fake "rock") or just a piece of slate being used as a "heat sink"? I see we're not all assuming the same thing here.

But either way, a surface intended for basking at 91*+ IS too hot for safety- your snake can end up with thermal burns which are painful, slow to heal, & needing infection control & vet care- best avoided.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-05-2022 at 05:27 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Please clarify, is this a "hot rock" (electrical heat embedded in a commercially-sold fake "rock") or just a piece of slate being used as a "heat sink"? I see we're not all assuming the same thing here.

But either way, a surface intended for basking at 91*+ IS too hot for safety- your snake can end up with thermal burns which are painful, slow to heal, & needing infection control & vet care- best avoided.

It is just a slate rock which absorbs the heat.
    I have read BP guides where they said the basking temperature can be that high.

What about ambient? Are they fine?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    The ambient temperatures look fine to me, but if the "slate rock" is a heated rock, please remove that from the enclosure immediately - heated rocks are extremely dangerous for snakes and they should never be able to come in direct contact with any heating elements. 95F is also way too high for a warm/basking spot, aim for 86-90F for the warmest spot in the enclosure.

Having an ambient temperature gradient is totally fine, some people use RHPs with no underbelly heat so the snake gets the warmth from the ambient temperature being at around 90F on the warm end.

Also, just to confirm - how are you measuring the temperatures, and are you regulating every individual heating element with a thermostat? You should have a digital thermometer to measure the ambient temperatures, a infrared gun to measure surface temperatures/underbelly heat, and a thermostat for regulating every heating element.

I use Govee Wifi thermometer, a heat gun and thermostats.
    And no it's not a heat rock, just a heat absorbant slate.
    Last edited by CakeLike; 05-06-2022 at 03:50 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeLike For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (05-06-2022)

Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeLike For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-06-2022)

Thanks
    Ah I misunderstood the rock, thanks for clarifying! Overall your setup sounds and looks good! Maybe just find a way to secure the probes so they can't move around and read wrong temperatures (if those probes are for the thermostat - if it's for a thermometer that's okay).

I've also seen BP guides suggesting temperatures of 95F but from BP keepers I've always heard to go no higher than 92F. From personal experience, I've also found that my BP will stop using his warm hide if the temperature goes up to 92/93F. He would sometimes tolerate 92F as a baby, but now as an adult he won't go to the warm hide if it's warmer than 90F.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-06-2022)