Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

1 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Fire evacuation in Arizona

I have a 150 watt che on a temp control on a Zilla hide out that he love being in I had the sensor on top outside temp would be about 86 while inside of the hide be about 78 I am trying the temp control sensor inside the hide not the outside temp on top of the hide is about 93 and the temp inside with him about 80
    My question is if you have a zilla hide out how do you heat up yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Fire evacuation in Arizona

I don’t know why it re-typed it
    my question is what good first aid stuff to put in I have been reading some stuff and mentioned a first aid kit with bandage 🩹 in it will be talking to my dad soon on other housing options for him if we have to evacuate
    Should 10% iodine in as well? Also have Neosporin original anabiotic and another one in original triple antibiotic and pain relief

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy the pig View Post
    I don’t know why it re-typed it
    my question is what good first aid stuff to put in I have been reading some stuff and mentioned a first aid kit with bandage �� in it will be talking to my dad soon on other housing options for him if we have to evacuate
    Should 10% iodine in as well? Also have Neosporin original anabiotic and another one in original triple antibiotic and pain relief

First aid for snakes:
    -NO pain relief topical antiseptic ointments on snakes- ingredients can be toxic to snakes! NEVER USE PAIN RELIEF TOPICAL ointments on snakes.

-regular ointment (Neosporin or Triple) are okay but use sparingly- NOT the best choice for snakes because base ingredient is "vaseline" (petroleum jelly) which causes messed up future sheds in snakes if used more than a tiny bit. Please look into Vetericyn ointment (brand- you want the version FOR snakes) available online or in some pet stores (I hear Petco carries it)-it's water based, so no messing up your snake's skin.

-Diluted povidone iodine (aka Betadine) is okay for snakes too.

-IF your snake suffers a thermal burn, the BEST thing is Silvadene cream- it's usually prescription but a few places sell it as "OTC". You probably don't have time to order it online- so ask your local vet to Rx it immediately if you might need it for first aid.

-Bandaids? Sticky like tape- which is also a in any & all snake homes! But bandaids are fine for YOU & other humans.

-Gauze might be handy, or other wrapped (clean!) applicators to apply medications- plus soap & water to wash your hands first!

-Temporary carrier/housing: always keep a good sized styrofoam box or "ice chest", PLUS pillow cases (or "cloth snake bags") and ways to secure the bags*. (*In a hurry, cloth bags are hard to un-tie when tied tight enough to be secure- so I don't do that at all. Instead, I use a large twist-wire to first tightly close the open end, then fold that part over on itself, & bundle that tightly with a strong rubber band. Much easier to un-do- take extra bands & ties.) A few small air holes are a good idea in styro box, or a wad of tape in ice chest opening to prevent the top from closing tightly. In an emergency, you be focused on how long the container was closed- so be safe, make sure they have air.

I have successfully moved long distance for days with all my snakes packed as described- in cloth bags, some padding in bottom of ice chests- enough air flow assured, & by checking them each evening & offering a drink of water. They travel very well! Temps were favorable when I did that- so I did not need added heat or cold while traveling. It all depends on the temps. in your vehicle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Styro boxes or ice chests help insulate your snake(s) from outside heat or cold, & they're easy to carry. If you need to stop in a restaurant or motel, no one will question you carrying in an ice chest with you- they'll assume it's your edible snacks! If you need a place to stay, don't expect a motel or shelter to welcome you with a snake!!! Trust me- use an ice chest for best results!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's important to remember that more snakes die from excessive heat (sun streaming into vehicle windows, etc) than from cold, but you'll want to also have heat pads (the kind used for shipping reptiles preferably) or at least a few large clean & empty plastic bottles or jars (fill with hot tap water for temp. warmth inside styro-container).

I can't say this enough- a "short car trip" with a snake can EASILY become a long one that kills an unprotected, improperly transported snake- accidents (& fires) tie up traffic, vehicles break down, & other distractions & detours happen- don't let your snake over-heat in your car- ALWAYS travel with snakes bagged & styro-boxed (or in ice chests, as explained).

This is critical when you live in the desert- I can remember someone who bagged their snake & put the bag on their truck floor for a drive of several hours- excessive heat came up thru the truck floor & KILLED his favorite snake by the time he got where he was going. Snakes cannot cry out to let us know they're in trouble, so we have to think ahead & not put them in danger. Children require proper car seats when traveling, & snakes require an insulated travel container. No exceptions.

I sure hope you don't need to evacuate. ​I hope you all stay safe...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-26-2022 at 02:39 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (04-26-2022),Erie_herps (04-26-2022),Homebody (04-26-2022),ziggy the pig (04-26-2022)

Thanks

Thank you I will be taking to parents if I can store a terrarium at there place if we need to stay there and will be working out some ideas If it’s elsewhere hopefully it won’t come to that

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggy the pig For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-26-2022)

Thanks
    I moved out of California- I know how scary wildfires (with desert winds) can be! Best of luck! Truly!

Thanks

I have been Impressed with the Prescott Valley, Prescott az area firefighters I have kept a grab and go bag year around this moving here I’ve had Ziggy about three years with this current fire made me realize I don’t have a first aid kit for him

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ziggy the pig For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-26-2022)

Thanks
    My and thanks to all fire personnel that keep us safe, along with other first responders (medical & L.E.). They do their best, but some things still can go wrong- Stay prepared.

Thanks

I might have read something/somewhere that it’s not good to use silvadene long term/at all for them has any else seen it I’m looking around for some other stuff as well to put all of the items I

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy the pig View Post
    I might have read something/somewhere that it’s not good to use silvadene long term/at all for them has any else seen it I’m looking around for some other stuff as well to put all of the items I

That's news to me- plenty of us have used Silvadene cream on rescues in bad condition (skin issues) & as prescribed by our vets- please post links to supposed negative info. It's the topical drug of choice for thermal burns on snakes- like when their UTH or other heat source is too high. And unlike many skin preparations made for human use, Silvadene is also widely used for snakes.

I used it mostly for a rescued boa that was turned over to me with chronic starvation that caused her skin to be very weak (easily torn); she had many tears -her previous neglectful owners didn't wait for me to come & get her- instead they roughly withdrew her from branches in her tank that tore many holes in her skin, then tried to deny they did that after dumping her at my place! She was very slow to heal- she wore a lot of Silvadene cream for a long while but made a slow recovery. In such cases, the skin may never be as original- always thin & easily torn. She was forever a "special needs" that eventually went to a contact in a nearby herp. society. She was an otherwise beautiful boa- but I guess feeding her was too much trouble for her first owners & they waited far too long to re-home her.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-26-2022 at 03:47 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (04-26-2022)

Thanks

Fire evacuation in Arizona

That was never my intention to give false information just trying to get information I’m not sure if I miss read it somewhere due to being distracted/stressed

Last edited by ziggy the pig; 04-26-2022 at 03:45 PM.