Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,774

1 members and 2,773 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4" hole?

Thanks

3/4" hole?

I'm fitting my new AP enclosure and I was looking at running wires through 3/4" holes that then are plugged with rubber grommets. The inner diameter of the hole would be ~5/8" with the probe coming out and the rubber "doors" blocking it. Do folks think I'm asking for trouble with a 500-750g BP perhaps trying to squeeze out though that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    I'm assuming the rubber is pretty stiff, right? Plus the probe taking up part of the opening- I think is 'pretty safe' (for a BP, not a colubrid) but I'd still find a way to cover or fill the gaps around the probe, personally. BTW, mine is only one opinion- that's just my take on it.

I've never known BPs to be very "pushy" as snakes go- in fact, I've noticed that in general, snakes with heat-sensing pits do a lot less pushing- maybe instinctively to avoid damage? But again, that's just my 2 cents. What DOES seem to inspire trouble is when snakes are smelling the "fresh air from outside"- they know there's an opening & try to push thru, so if you at least filled the gap with silicone, maybe that would take care of it? Better safe than "searching".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-17-2022 at 07:37 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,177 Posts

Re: 3/4" hole?

Quote Originally Posted by tempo36 View Post
    Do folks think I'm asking for trouble with a 500-750g BP perhaps trying to squeeze out though that?
    This folk thinks you are. I imagine a bp would either escape or get stuck and injure itself. Don't do it.

Thanks
    Those plugs are wider on one side- I'm assuming that would be on the inside, making it impossible to push out? But if the snake could pull on the probe (& they'll try) you need to make sure they can't "pull the plug" inwards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Those plugs are wider on one side- I'm assuming that would be on the inside, making it impossible to push out? But if the snake could pull on the probe (& they'll try) you need to make sure they can't "pull the plug" inwards.
    You're correct, the plug can't be pushed out due to the inner flange. Regarding the inner diameter, I can shove my pinky through, that's about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tempo36 View Post
    You're correct, the plug can't be pushed out due to the inner flange. Regarding the inner diameter, I can shove my pinky through, that's about it.

I'd still find a way to keep the plug from being pulled in, because IF the hole was exposed, your snake will get really injured IF he tried to jam thru it- & trust me, snakes have died from such dumb injuries when trying to go thru something. And because they like (NEED) traction, they tend to wrap around & pull on things (like probes).

There might be a way to attach something to the probe (on the outside) to prevent it from being pulled in- make it too large- ie. physically impossible. I assume this is basically a "cord" so how about knotting it thru something that's bigger than the hole, so that is snug with the hole on the outside. (hope I'm making sense?)

I wonder how everyone else does theirs?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-17-2022 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 417 Posts
    The best way is to cut the plug off the wall end of the cord, drill a hole in the PVC only large enough for the cord, insert the cord and attach a replacement plug (snap-on/quick connect plugs work fine).

Most 120v cords will actually fit (or barely fit; you may need to ream a little spot out) through the factory vents in an AP cage, though if you want the cord to enter somewhere else in the enclosure a fresh hole will be needed. Probe cords won't work this way unless you're confident that you can wire up a new plug (simple replacement plugs aren't available for probe cables AFAIK), but if you need to run a probe and other cords you can drill the hole just large enough for the probe, insert the probe cord and then insert the 120v cords though that same hole as explained above (there should be room for two more cords after the probe cord is through).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    The best way is to cut the plug off the wall end of the cord, drill a hole in the PVC only large enough for the cord, insert the cord and attach a replacement plug (snap-on/quick connect plugs work fine)....
    Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    ....Probe cords won't work this way unless you're confident that you can wire up a new plug (simple replacement plugs aren't available for probe cables AFAIK)....
    That's how I've done electrical cords in the past, many times- but since this is for a probe, I didn't want to suggest doing that-
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-18-2022 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 417 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's how I've done electrical cords in the past, many times- but since this is for a probe, I didn't want to suggest doing that-
    Ach. I read this through three times and still didn't visualize it accurately.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

3/4" hole?

Just drill a hole 1/32-1/16” bigger than the probe. Unless the probe is enormous you should be fine with that alone.

Last edited by jmcrook; 04-18-2022 at 11:34 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast