Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,879

1 members and 2,878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry skin

Thanks

Re: Dry skin

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    For what it's worth, even my snakes that are from more arid environments (including my Gray-banded Kingsnake) seem to appreciate the option of a humid hide. They may just spend an hour or two a week in it, or they may sit in it for a day or so at a time - usually during a shed cycle. Assuming there isn't any more serious underlying issue here, you might consider providing a humid hide as well as the regular hides.
    Will consider doing that.

While I don't do it always, if I know she's getting closer to shed, I sometimes up the humidity a little. Not much, because even when I don't she always has perfect sheds.

But, like you said, I'm sure they appreciate the humod hide. So maybe I'll try that as well.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Sooo.... I was getting ready to bring my girl into the vet this week, and I just happen to pass by her enclosure around 1 in the AM... and what'dya see...

She is is trying to squeeze herself between that gap where the sliding doors meet to get out. She's about 4½' long, at 1200 grams, so naturally it's not happening. The most she gets is her head in there and it looks completely flattened. And, there's also some substrate in the mix there. So, now it seems like this is why her skinny on the head is like that.

I've observed her numerous times, all hours of the day, and have NEVER seen her do this. But now that I have, it makes sense where the dry skin is.

I double-checked all temps and levels, and all is good. 75-85° gradient, humidity tends to average around 50%, but does sometimes hit the 40 or 60 marks.

I'll probably still take her in anyways, for a quick visit. Make sure that even if this IS the cause, there aren't any other underlying issues, or there's no damage other than dry scrubbed skin on the head.
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2022),dakski (04-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Ahh, some snakes* are very "pushy" to the point of damage- this makes total sense, & hopefully is the only issue here. Beats the "alternatives" as they say...

*Some king snakes & the whole Pituophis family (bull, gopher & pine snakes) are notorious for "pushing". As are some others, of course.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-18-2022)

Thanks

I had a bredli python with a not too dissimilar looking issue (dull eyes, and dry snout areas) and it was determined to be mild dehydration by our vet. A couple causes and contributing factors to dehydration worth considering:
    1. Frozen thawed mice tend to have less water contents as part of the freezing process. (sidebar: not encouraging you to switch to live if you currently feed F/T)
    2. If your snake takes a pretty large meal and isn't digesting/metabolizing it fast enough stool sitting in the digestive track too long can lead to dehydration

Is your snake defecating regularly? I don't really ever manage to catch my girl drinking but I do find her water dish disturbed so I know she uses it periodically. I've found a huge improvement in her appearance since I've started misting the space/wall near where every she is chilling. I don't mist a ton, usually every few days-ish is enough. She usually perks up and immediately drinks off the wall of her cage when I do mist. Additionally I went down a prey size for my girl who seems to have a pretty slow metabolism and she is having less constipation/dehydration issues (she does still eat F/T). You might consider these and see if it makes an improvement in your dude's appearance. Good luck, wishing you a good outcome

Thanks
    You "could" also switch to fresh-killed rodents, or to injecting water into the f/t rodents to improve hydration- along with misting etc.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-18-2022),tropiclikeitshot (04-18-2022)

Thanks

An update, should anyone be interested...

I finally took my girl to the vet today. Funny thing is, she just shed yesterday, perfect shed... which is what I was waiting for. She hadn't shed for MANY months, far longer than she's ever taken. Yet, her facial scales looked dry and eyes looked in blue, and this was going on for several weeks. Well, the scales were like that for far longer, but the eyes was only several weeks.

But, anyways, I had my appt today, and she shed yesterday. And while the scales on the head are still messed up, it is probably about 75% improved after-shed. I added pics I took while at the vet. Probably not the best photos, but maybe you can see. If I can get new VERY CLEAR photos I will post.

But, anyways... she's fine, healthy, and happy. No issues. And, the bigger concern, no fungal disease. Still have no idea why it got like that, but it's improved.
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (05-24-2022),Bogertophis (05-23-2022),Homebody (05-23-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    I appreciate the update. I'm glad to hear she's doing well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post

I finally took my girl to the vet today. Funny thing is, she just shed yesterday, perfect shed... which is what I was waiting for. She hadn't shed for MANY months, far longer than she's ever taken. Yet, her facial scales looked dry and eyes looked in blue, and this was going on for several weeks. Well, the scales were like that for far longer, but the eyes was only several weeks.

But, anyways, I had my appt today, and she shed yesterday. And while the scales on the head are still messed up, it is probably about 75% improved after-shed. I added pics I took while at the vet. Probably not the best photos, but maybe you can see. If I can get new VERY CLEAR photos I will post.

But, anyways... she's fine, healthy, and happy. No issues. And, the bigger concern, no fungal disease. Still have no idea why it got like that, but it's improved...
    Great news- it really helps to see how your snake is after the shed, to know what's really going on, & a relief to know it's not fungal. Now to keep her from being so "pushy"- it's so frustrating when a gorgeous snake messes up their appearance this way.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-23-2022 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks
    After her second shed yesterday (second since the original post), the dry scaling in the face is completely gone. Her face is perfect. You would never have known there was ever an issue. So, for whatever reason that caused that to happen, possibly being her trying to push through between the sliding doors, she's all good now. Perfect shed, too.
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-06-2022),Homebody (07-07-2022)

Thanks
    That's great news! She's a beauty- tell her we voted on it & she truly doesn't need a "nose job".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-06-2022 at 11:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12