Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,972

1 members and 1,971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: Hocotate (Hoco) - Coral Anery Corn Snake Progression

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Oh I'm almost positive mine would take seconds if given the chance. Even after a perfectly filling rat he'll still keep watching me like, "More?"
    Referring to your BP- wait a few years & see if that holds true. Many eat far more enthusiastically when young- it's when they're mature that they rebel over eating 2 items, ie. 2 adult mice (for example) which is why many keepers prefer to get them on rats. And as adults, they sometimes say "no" to any meal. Wait & see, once you've been keeping snakes for a longer time.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Referring to your BP- wait a few years & see if that holds true. Many eat far more enthusiastically when young- it's when they're mature that they rebel over eating 2 items, ie. 2 adult mice (for example) which is why many keepers prefer to get them on rats. And as adults, they sometimes say "no" to any meal. Wait & see, once you've been keeping snakes for a longer time.
    It's in the back of my mind. Dreading the first "multi-month fast" ngl. Also why I'm keen on eventually getting a refusal taker for when that time inevitably comes.

Thanks
    Was cleaning the tub, and he's going into shed for the first time with me.

Added a damp moss humid hide and sprinkled some water on the paper towels. Probably not overly necessary, but having a ball python has left me paranoid.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2022)

Thanks
    Hoco continues to outdo Zebes because here's a perfect, intact shed on the first go.

It was past midnight and I was getting ready for bed but the poor guy was pressing himself around the sides of the tub trying to find something to eat since it had been nearly 2 weeks since he last ate and he's still working on finishing off the pinkies. Promptly got some thawed for him, but I offered the second one just a little too fast and he tail rattled. I don't think I've ever seen a corn do that before. Other rat snakes and friends sure but never a corn. He did take the second pinky though after I gave him a bit more time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-01-2022)

Thanks
    Sure they (corn snakes) do! Rattle their little furious tails, that is. He's a real serpent warrior, didn't you know?

That's what's so cool about corn snakes- they know how to be "real" snakes, but mostly they mind their manners with us.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-01-2022 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    His first real handling session.

I've noticed how the red factor's pinks seems to "fade" the further away from the head you get, as well as the yellow streak near his belly.

Also this squiggly little tail is too cute.

The session taught me some lessons on why he is different from my BP though:

First of which is that his grip isn't as strong, he actually fell from my arm (thankfully it was less than 2 feet and he landed on the shaggy rug and is perfectly fine). I'll be much more careful while holding him now.
    Secondly, I need to be more wary of accidents because soon after I picked him back up he punished me for my blunder by dropping a massive dump all over my lap.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (05-04-2022),Homebody (05-04-2022)

Thanks
    Small corn snakes don't have a strong grip, but larger corn snakes will be much stronger- & keep in mind that a snake that is not comfortable with you may intentionally let go at any time with an intent to flee, so you you always need to be a "spotter" (like in gymnastics- the side person that makes sure the athlete doesn't fall, & especially not in a way they get hurt).

For whatever reasons, some snakes just rely on us more to hold them, while others grip ridiculously tight (like my spotted python!)- anyway, I'm glad he landed well. He expressed his stress rather predictably afterwards...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-04-2022 at 04:02 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (05-04-2022),Homebody (05-04-2022)

Thanks

Small corn snakes don't have a strong grip, but larger corn snakes will be much stronger- & keep in mind that a snake that is not comfortable with you may intentionally let go at any time with an intent to flee, so you you always need to be a "spotter" (like in gymnastics- the side person that makes sure the athlete doesn't fall, & especially not in a way they get hurt).

For whatever reasons, some snakes just rely on us more to hold them, while others grip ridiculously tight (like my spotted python!)- anyway, I'm glad he landed well. He expressed his stress rather predictably afterwards...
    If anything these experiences are just making me glad I went with a corn after a BP. If going from a large, slow BP to a small, slightly flighty corn is giving me whiplash, I can only imagine it would've been twice as bad if I went straight to a VBB.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-04-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    If anything these experiences are just making me glad I went with a corn after a BP. If going from a large, slow BP to a small, slightly flighty corn is giving me whiplash, I can only imagine it would've been twice as bad if I went straight to a VBB.

I'm trying to imagine that too. Be careful what you wish for, as they say.

And when feistier types of snakes bite you to make you let go of them, that's not an excuse to drop them on the floor, allowing them to get injured. You have to EXPECT that & cope.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-04-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks

I'm trying to imagine that too. Be careful what you wish for, as they say.

And when feistier types of snakes bite you to make you let go of them, that's not an excuse to drop them on the floor, allowing them to get injured. You have to EXPECT that & cope.
    I'm steeling myself for bites for that very reason. Though I don't think what either of them can do could compare to the bites I've taken from the birds I've had over the years, including the green cheek conure I have now. I've even had little budgies draw blood before.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast