Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

0 members and 2,964 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

First 100% in-tact shed!

My (I believe female) killer blast Ramen finally had her first 100% intact shed today! Have had her for almost 14 months with maybe 6 sheds in that time. The prior sheds were in a 20 gallon glass aquarium. I now have her in the Animal Plastics T10! First shed was a disaster (90% of it stuck), the next couple weren't as bad but still about 30-50% of it was sticking and coming off in pieces. the next two were much better, with the 5th one almost being fully intact except a tear around the neck. But I have been anticipating this shed for what feels like forever now. I saw she was in pink maybe 2-3 weeks ago and tried keeping the humidity up as much as I could (ceramic heat emitter really sucked it all up). Then a week ago (while she was just going into blue), I got her into the new AP T10. Just a quick switch, as to minimalize stress but get her in a much more suitable environment for shedding. And this morning I woke up to her roaming around so I knew something had to be up. I look under her cool hide to find a 100% intact shed, a massive poop, and a lot of urates!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jinji For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (04-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Congratulations! One thing that "can" (it doesn't always) affect a shed is if a snake is busy digesting a meal at the same time, since both digestion and shedding uses up their body's hydration, & sometimes they just don't "multi-task" very well. That can result in a stuck shed "of a thousand pieces", or in the regurgitation of the recent meal, so personally, I avoid feeding a snake if I notice it's going into shed- just something to think about- no idea if this was the issue with your snake in the past or not. It's no problem for them to "miss a meal"- in fact, that's normally what happens in the wild, where they don't have "room service" & lay low when in blue. As you noted, the type of heat used (CHE) may also make a difference.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,177 Posts

Re: First 100% in-tact shed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jinji View Post
    My (I believe female) killer blast Ramen finally had her first 100% intact shed today! Have had her for almost 14 months with maybe 6 sheds in that time. The prior sheds were in a 20 gallon glass aquarium. I now have her in the Animal Plastics T10!
    Congrats on the successful shed and kudos on the enclosure upgrade.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-08-2022 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks

Re: First 100% in-tact shed!

Woo, congrats!